[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Disk error question

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (08/26/90)

marc@dumbcat.sf.ca.us (Marco S Hyman) writes:

>*** DEVICE ERROR: Uncorrectable data error in sector ***
>*** Controller 0 (Adaptec AHA-1540 SCSI Host Adapter), DISK Drive 1, Absolute Sector # 40205 ***

>*** DEVICE ERROR: Uncorrectable data error in sector ***
>*** Controller 0 (Adaptec AHA-1540 SCSI Host Adapter), DISK Drive 0, Absolute Sector # 15201 ***

Is it possible that your hard drive doesn't default to enabling the
automatic hard disk bad sector relocation?  I had a Miniscibe 9380S
which defaulted with this off which produced errors - as Miniscribe
in all their wisdom considered this to be enabled in the driver - not
in the drives firmware..

            uucp: iuvax!ndmath!nstar!larry  -or-  larry@nstar
     Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 lines/PEP/HST/Hayes-V)