[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] High Res VGA GIF viewers

solomon@nike..FtCollins.NCR.com (Richard L. Solomon) (08/20/90)

Can someone please point me to a GIF viewer which can display (on a VGA)
in 1024x768 mode.  Preferably, the package would include source
to allow adaptation to custom modes and memory access methods etc...
As far as I know, there is no standard way of accessing that high of
a resolution on a VGA chip.

-----

Richard Solomon
Richard.Solomon@ColoSpgs.NCR.COM

NCR Microelectronics
1635 Aeroplaza Drive
Colorado Springs, CO  80916
(719) 596-5795 x386

devolder@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Eric DeVolder) (08/21/90)

In article <514@ncr-mpd.FtCollins> Richard.Solomon@ColoSpgs.NCR.COM (Richard L. Solomon) writes:
>Can someone please point me to a GIF viewer which can display (on a VGA)
>in 1024x768 mode.  Preferably, the package would include source
>to allow adaptation to custom modes and memory access methods etc...
>As far as I know, there is no standard way of accessing that high of
>a resolution on a VGA chip.
>
>-----
>
>Richard Solomon
>Richard.Solomon@ColoSpgs.NCR.COM
>
>NCR Microelectronics
>1635 Aeroplaza Drive
>Colorado Springs, CO  80916
>(719) 596-5795 x386

You can use Cshow program from CompuServe.  It supports the VGA mode.  I do
not think that it includes the sources however.  You can obtain it from
Simtel20 or its mirror archive wuarchive.wustl.edu

Eric DeVolder

str@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Stephen T Rubinstein) (08/27/90)

In article <514@ncr-mpd.FtCollins> Richard.Solomon@ColoSpgs.NCR.COM (Richard L. Solomon) writes:
>Can someone please point me to a GIF viewer which can display (on a VGA)
>in 1024x768 mode.  Preferably, the package would include source
>to allow adaptation to custom modes and memory access methods etc...
>As far as I know, there is no standard way of accessing that high of
>a resolution on a VGA chip.

I don't know of one that does this but the one that I have looks for extended
drivres (which I don't have) so there must be drivers someplace, also the gif
viewer that I have allows one to use a "BIOS mode" so what you need to do
is find the mode number of extended nodes of your card (On my ATI VGA wonder
65hex is 1024x768x16 so I type m [for mode] 12 [for BIOS mode] then 101
[101dex=65hex] and give the program the dimentions.  That's how I do it),
the only problem is this is very slow, but its the only way I know how.

GIve it a try.

Stephen