[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Handwriting technology - What good is it?

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (08/21/90)

> My question is, what REAL uses do you all see for handwriting
> technology? I see a number of limited uses in circumstances where a
> keyboard is impractical or merely too big, but I know that I can type
> far far faster than I can write with a pen or pencil. Not to mention
> the fact that my typing is far more legible.

Once a computer recognizes handwriting, its trivial to convert it to
typset text.

 As it stands, I can't see
> why the magazines are crowing over this idea as much as they are,
> since no one I know would prefer a pen over a keyboard for anything
> but the shortest of notes.

Well, certainly I would prefer a keyboard over a pen for writing,
because I can type faster than I can write, and I can type for longer
periods of time.  Nevertheless, pens have certain advantages over
keyboards, especially in handhelds and laptops:

	1) With no need for a keyboard, the unit can become much
	   smaller.

	2) The pen affords both writing and drawing ability in one
	   tools, something neither the keyboard nor mouse do.  It
	   would be much easier to build a dynabook-like machine that
	   handles integrated graphics and text using a pen, than
	   using a combination of keyboard and mouse.

	3) The pen allows you to develop new forms of interaction.
	   You could have a user interface based on gestures.  For
	   example, to make something on screen go away, just draw a
	   big X on top of it.  To save something for further use,
	   draw a checkmark on it.  To get help, draw a question mark.

I think the ideal portable computer would have a stylus interface on
its display, with the ability to talk to an external keyboard or
chord-key input device over an infrared link.  This would let me have
maximum portability on the go, but allow the most convenience once
I've settled into some location.

> Admittedly, handwriting technology would be neat and a great
> breakthrough and all, but is it all that useful for computer USERS?

I think so.  It's not a replacement for the keyboard, the same way the
mouse is not a replacement for the keyboard.  But in some instances it
does make sense to use a stylus in place of a keyboard, and the stylus
can do some things better than either the keyboard or the mouse put
together.  It's another form of interaction, with its good and bad
points.  The problems will occur when someone tries to use stylus
technology for things it doesn't handle well -- such as the
large-scale entry of text.

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi   Silicon Graphics, Inc.   portuesi@sgi.com

    "man, this is weak."

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (08/21/90)

OK, here's something to talk about. The trade magazines, notably PC
WEEK and InfoWorld, have been running a number of stories on the
handwriting technology being developed by Go (and licensed by IBM) and
GRiD and the likes. The tone of the articles is that these handwriting
machines are going to be the next great thing and we will also use
them because they are so wonderful and so much better than keyboards.

My question is, what REAL uses do you all see for handwriting
technology? I see a number of limited uses in circumstances where a
keyboard is impractical or merely too big, but I know that I can type
far far faster than I can write with a pen or pencil. Not to mention
the fact that my typing is far more legible. As it stands, I can't see
why the magazines are crowing over this idea as much as they are,
since no one I know would prefer a pen over a keyboard for anything
but the shortest of notes.

Admittedly, handwriting technology would be neat and a great
breakthrough and all, but is it all that useful for computer USERS?

Please post - I'd like to see the comments on this feed on each other.

Many thanks ..... Adam

--
Adam C. Engst                                pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
"I ain't worried and I ain't scurried and I'm having a good time"

drmadill@sunee.waterloo.edu (dr madill) (08/22/90)

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that when handwriting technology
was being announce by IBM it was being announced as a security feature.
IBM wanted to use it in place of passwords.  They claimed that although
people can forge other peoples signatures, they could not do so at the
same speed, and placing the same pressure on the pen at different times.
They claimed that this was a guranteed way of security.

My thoughts are that this may work, but it would seem to be a fairly
expensive solution.

David

turnbull@john.CES.CWRU.Edu (John Turnbull) (08/22/90)

Handwriting as input has three advantages.

	a) Drawing (e.g. graphs, tables etc) and text can be input
	   with the same device.
	b) Not everyone has great keyboard skills, and so could write
	   faster than type.
	c) Text can be changed with standard editor's signs.

woody@eos.UUCP (Wayne Wood) (08/22/90)

In article <5120.26d1113e@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>My question is, what REAL uses do you all see for handwriting
>technology? I see a number of limited uses in circumstances where a

according to both GRiD and Go... the ideal situation would be a 'field'
computer for engineers, inventory control, etc... in other
words, places where a conventional keyboard is not practical.

in the sense of practicality, you can hold a notebook sized computer
in one hand and write with the other.

/***   woody   ****************************************************************
*** ...tongue tied and twisted, just an earth bound misfit, I...            ***
*** -- David Gilmour, Pink Floyd                                            ***
****** woody@eos.arc.nasa.gov *** my opinions, like my mind, are my own ******/

garye@microsoft.UUCP (Gary ERICSON) (08/25/90)

In article <1990Aug22.031750.17755@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> turnbull@john.CES.CWRU.Edu (John Turnbull) writes:
>Handwriting as input has three advantages.
>
>	a) Drawing (e.g. graphs, tables etc) and text can be input
>	   with the same device.
>	b) Not everyone has great keyboard skills, and so could write
>	   faster than type.
>	c) Text can be changed with standard editor's signs.

Also:   d) Inputting "spatially-oriented" text (where the position of the
	   text on the page is significant - such as placing text into
	   boxes on forms, using indentation, or annotating existing text
	   or drawings) is easier with a stylus than keyboard alone or even
	   keyboard with mouse (the latter requires moving the hands
	   between two input devices).

	e) In a handheld size, handwriting is as efficient as poking small
	   keys with one finger, and is generally easier, even for (maybe
	   especially for) a touch-typist.

Gary Ericson - Microsoft - Work Group Apps

MXL4@psuvm.psu.edu (08/27/90)

Re: what good is handwriting technology...?

Some of us have definite plans for it when it becomes truly functional. Our
office has to collect information in the field from high school students, in
letter perfect form. Many students are keyboard-shy - i.e., their error rate
keying is much higher than for handwriting. We have test data that says it is
as high as a factor of 5.

So bring on the pads and styli!