[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Screen Photography

bfag@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Meneldur) (08/23/90)

Greetings.

A question for those of you who have taken pictures of your VGA screens.
What exposure time is most appropriate?  I know it needs to be long enough
to avoid the screen retrace, but what is optimal?

I recently took slides of some color diagrams done with the paint program
included in Windows 3.  I figured 1/8 second should be adequate, yet the
slides demonstrated broad diagonal swaths of darker colors that appear to
be retrace related.  Otherwise, the results were quite nice using the
Zenith FTM monitor.

Thanks for the help.  I'd rather not have to use another roll of film
experimenting with various exposure times!

Bill Faggart
Dept. of Geol. Sci.
Univ. of Rochester
Rochester, NY

urban@eecae.uucp (Mark Urban-Lurain) (08/23/90)

In article <9034@ur-cc.UUCP> bfag@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Meneldur) writes:
>A question for those of you who have taken pictures of your VGA screens.
>What exposure time is most appropriate?  I know it needs to be long enough
>to avoid the screen retrace, but what is optimal?

I've not yet tried my (new) VGA with NEC 3d monitor.  However, I've
taken slides of a Zenith RGB monitor.  I found that Ektachrome film
produced more accurate color than Kodachrome, plus it has the advantage
of being able to develop it locally, rather than sending it to the great
Yellow Father.

I've always bracketed exposures, around 15 seconds +/- 2-3 secs at F8 so
that the retraces average out.  On my (not flat) RGB monitor, I found
that using a 135 mm lens helped reduce the keystone effect from the
curved monitor screen.  I put the camera on a tripod in a dark room to
avoid reflections/glare on the CRT.  Getting the camera/tripod "square"
with the CRT is a  bit of a chore.

I found that different images required different exposures, so you wind
up wasting several shots per roll.
--
Mark Urban-Lurain                        urban@cpswh.cps.msu.edu
Computer Science Dept.                   urbanluraimg@clvax1.cl.msu.edu

whh@PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) (08/24/90)

In article <9034@ur-cc.UUCP> bfag@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Meneldur) writes:
>Greetings.
>
>A question for those of you who have taken pictures of your VGA screens.
>What exposure time is most appropriate?  I know it needs to be long enough
>to avoid the screen retrace, but what is optimal?

The "classical" answer is to use the reciprocal of the full screen repaint
time.  Find out how long it takes to fully draw the screen and use that.
(The reason I said "classical" is that for a TV set in the US, the time is
1/30 second.)

>I recently took slides of some color diagrams done with the paint program
>included in Windows 3.  I figured 1/8 second should be adequate, yet the
>slides demonstrated broad diagonal swaths of darker colors that appear to
>be retrace related.  Otherwise, the results were quite nice using the
>Zenith FTM monitor.

You may be having problems with a focal-plane shutter.  The older leaf
shutter didn't tend to do that.

>Thanks for the help.  I'd rather not have to use another roll of film
>experimenting with various exposure times!

Why not?  Film and processing are cheap.  Get a short roll (say, 12
exposure, you'll be spending no more than $5 or $6 for everything)
and try different timings and apertures.  Then makes notes somewhere
you won't lose 'em--say a file on your system--and you won't have to
do it again.

	--Hal

Hal Heydt                    |    An earthquake is Mother Nature's
Analyst, Pacific*Bell        |    "silent" pager going off . . .
415-823-5447                 |
whh@pbhya.PacBell.COM        |

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (08/24/90)

>A question for those of you who have taken pictures of your VGA screens.
>What exposure time is most appropriate?  I know it needs to be long enough
>to avoid the screen retrace, but what is optimal?
>
>I recently took slides of some color diagrams done with the paint program
>included in Windows 3.  I figured 1/8 second should be adequate, yet the
>slides demonstrated broad diagonal swaths of darker colors that appear to
>be retrace related.  Otherwise, the results were quite nice using the
>Zenith FTM monitor.

1/15 of a second should have been adequate. I have done screen shots that
fast although mostly I shoot at 1/2 to 1 second due to the slow speed of
the film I use. This is for US electrical cycle times.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

eakin@rsmas.miami.edu (08/27/90)

In article <1990Aug23.151023.22700@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, urban@eecae.uucp (Mark Urban-Lurain) writes:
> In article <9034@ur-cc.UUCP> bfag@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Meneldur) writes:
>>A question for those of you who have taken pictures of your VGA screens.
>>What exposure time is most appropriate?  I know it needs to be long enough
>>to avoid the screen retrace, but what is optimal?
>
> I've not yet tried my (new) VGA with NEC 3d monitor.  However, I've
> taken slides of a Zenith RGB monitor.  I found that Ektachrome film
> produced more accurate color than Kodachrome, plus it has the advantage
> of being able to develop it locally, rather than sending it to the great
> Yellow Father.

I have found that Fujichrome 50 results in more accurate colors in
photographing my IBM VGA screen.  1/4 second is the minimum shutter speed to
eliminate the retrace problem, but I prefer to use 1/2 to 1 second.  Using a
100-200mm lens and tripod in a dark room, I generally shoot around 1/2 second
@ F11 or 1 second @ F16.  However, I recommend that all shots be bracketed by
one stop each way.  The exact exposure will vary with the subject on the
screen.

--
C. Mark Eakin
Internet: Eakin@RSMAS.miami.edu

whh@PacBell.COM (Wilson Heydt) (08/28/90)

In article <15160004@hpspcoi.HP.COM> dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) writes:
>>A question for those of you who have taken pictures of your VGA screens.
>
>1/15 of a second should have been adequate. I have done screen shots that
>fast although mostly I shoot at 1/2 to 1 second due to the slow speed of
>the film I use. This is for US electrical cycle times.

As slow as you go, the refresh rate isn't going to matter.  From the
photographic side, though, you're risking problems with the color values
due to reciprocity failure.