[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Accents in word-perfect?

rehman@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Jaffar Rehman) (08/28/90)

Hi there,

Does anyone know if one could produce accents for foreign languages
(Spanish, Italian etc.) using word-perfect or another pc-based
word processing software.

Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

		-Jaffar

		(jaffar@grad1.cis.upenn.edu)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (08/28/90)

rehman@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Jaffar Rehman) writes:
> Does anyone know if one could produce accents for foreign languages
> (Spanish, Italian etc.) using word-perfect or another pc-based
> word processing software.

For WP 5.x, try Ctrl-V followed by the accent, the letter, and then
<return>.  For instance, to type an n with a tilde over it, you would
hit Ctrl-V ~ n <return>.

FYI, this is documented in the manuals and in the on-line help.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

ttw@lanl.gov (Tony Warnock) (08/28/90)

     Using WordPerfect 5.0 or 5.1 ( I don't know aboout other versions )
     there are accented characters using the COMPOSE feature. Characters
     may also be made by combining an accent with a letter, even if
     this is not in the character set. In version 5.1, the characters
     will be drawn in graphics mode on a printer which does not have
     them in its character set ( if the printer has graphics. )

PZ2@psuvm.psu.edu (David L. Phillips) (08/29/90)

In article <28875@netnews.upenn.edu>, rehman@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Jaffar Rehman)
says:

>Hi there,
>
>Does anyone know if one could produce accents for foreign languages
>(Spanish, Italian etc.) using word-perfect or another pc-based
>word processing software.
>
>Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

WP 5.0 and 5.1 both allow you to combine various elements to create special
letters such as you describe.  You can program the speciasl keys yourself.  No
problem.