[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] NOVEL & IDE info/advice requested

hughes@motcid.UUCP (Brian Hughes) (08/13/90)

I'm posting the following questions for my father-in-law who owns a small
business and is upgrading his current system.  I'm personally not too
familiar with NOVEL or IDE hard drives so ...

	- What is the best type and brand of hard drive to work with
	NOVEL (ELS II - 8 User 2.15) and 200 Meg or more?

	- Is the new "IDE" type of drive any better than others (RLL,
	SCSI, etc)?

Thanks for any info you can provide,
Brian

jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie (08/16/90)

In article <4348@lime11.UUCP>, hughes@motcid.UUCP (Brian Hughes) writes:
> I'm posting the following questions for my father-in-law who owns a small
> business and is upgrading his current system.  I'm personally not too
> familiar with NOVEL or IDE hard drives so ...
>
> 	- What is the best type and brand of hard drive to work with
> 	NOVEL (ELS II - 8 User 2.15) and 200 Meg or more?

Novell advise that the largest drive size to be used as a dedicated server
is a 255 MB hard disk.  I recommend a Connor or Western Digital drive.
                                          -  Novus Maximus

> 	- Is the new "IDE" type of drive any better than others (RLL,
> 	SCSI, etc)?
>
> Thanks for any info you can provide,
> Brian

					   jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie@cunyvm.cuny.edu
    -----------           ---                     jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie
   /          /          /  /                     jagrogan@unix1.tcd.ie
  ----    ----          /  /                      jagrogan@maths.tcd.ie
     /   /   ------    /  /                       jagrogan@tcdmath.uucp
    /   /   /     /   /  -------   /---------     jagrogan@lanczos.tcd.ie
 --    /   /  /  /   /  ----   /  /  ----   /    ---------------------------
/     /   /     /   /  /   /  /  /  /   /  /      3rd Year Computer Science
------    ------    ---    ---   ---    ---        Trinity College, Dublin.
                                                 ---------------------------
	"I haven't lost my mind.....I'm sure it's backed up here somewhere!"

ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) (08/29/90)

jagrogan@vax1.tcd.ie writes:

>In article <4348@lime11.UUCP>, hughes@motcid.UUCP (Brian Hughes) writes:
>> I'm posting the following questions for my father-in-law who owns a small
>> business and is upgrading his current system.  I'm personally not too
>> familiar with NOVEL or IDE hard drives so ...
>>
>> 	- What is the best type and brand of hard drive to work with
>> 	NOVEL (ELS II - 8 User 2.15) and 200 Meg or more?

>Novell advise that the largest drive size to be used as a dedicated server
>is a 255 MB hard disk.  I recommend a Connor or Western Digital drive.
>                                          -  Novus Maximus

>> 	- Is the new "IDE" type of drive any better than others (RLL,
>> 	SCSI, etc)?
[header deleted]
IDE is even much better than RLL, MFM and sometimes ESDI.
If it is better than SCSI, that is a good question...
(SCSI can handle upto 8 devices, and not only hard-drives!)

IDE can support two hard-disk, doesn`t matter which brand or type.
One can be driven as master drive, and the other as slave drive. (You must set
some jumpers) The connetion is done with a 40 pin cable to a host-adaptor.
This host-adaptor is (for AT-Clones) for 16 - Bit Slots, and mostly it includes
a floppy controller. (Very cheap adaptors !)
The performance of these drives is very high. Say that the seek time is mostly
below 20ms. The rate of kb/sec is upto 1200, this is done with the help of
a build in cache.(The contoller is on the hard drive, as SCSI)
These drives have all the same size: 3 1/2 Inch and mostly 2 or 1 Inch high.
The minumum (I saw) for the capacity is 20 MB, the max is upto 200 MB (till now).

Known problems:
DO NOT LOW-LEVEL FORMAT IDE-DRIVES !!!
They have build in Bad-Track survivor (Dont know the best word of this meaning)
so, only use fdisk and format !!!!
There are already low-level formatted by the factory!

How to install them in the Setup ?
Most IDE drives can be run in two ways: Native mode or Translation mode.
Native moe means, that you install them with physical dates (right number
of heads, sectors...), you must have a setup wich support user-defined types.
(Most new BIOS do this), or you must patch one of your old BIOS.
Translation Mode means, that you only look at the number of sectors
(must be lower than 1024) and at the capacity, in total you must not exeed the
right capacity. For this mode, you must make experiences... (try out..)

Installing as Novell (non-)dedicated Server:
The compsurf (Novell harddisk test) does not support user-defined setup entries.
So you must run in translation mode (lower speed), bust mostly this does not run.
Sometimes a patch in the BIOS helps.

Known advantages:
Most adaptors includes a Multi I/o card (par/ser/floppy/IDE/Bus-mouse/game)
So insert this card, a graphic card, thats all you need !!!!!!!!!!

Small !!! Up to 200 MB in cases of 3 1/2 Inch and only 1 Inch high !!!
(Conner, Miniscribe)(Yep, no publicity)

Fast !!! (Use Coretest: Upto 3000 kb/sec, Powermeter: Upto 2000 kb/sec)
(Always Interleave of 1:1)

Easy to handle !! Only one cable. No ID-Jumper (only master/slave)

Cheap !!! The price of one IDE-drive + Hostadaptor is lower than RLL-drive
+ RLL-controller (1:1 !!!)

Choose yourself !!!
This news may help you, excuse me english....

Well, for tonight this must be all.

CU, Markus

   Markus Illenseer                           I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.
         Bergstr. 4         /|  /|  |                    Odyssee 2001, Clarke
     4790 Paderborn        / | / |  |
      United Germay       /  |/  |  |       Email: ill@uni-paderborn.de