[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Anyone used D.P.T.'s Smart Connex SCSI controller ?

grwalter@watfun.uwaterloo.ca (Fred Walter) (08/26/90)

I read in an add in Byte that D.P.T.'s Smart Connex SCSI controller looks
like just a 'normal' controller (no special drivers needed). Has anyone
used this beasty ? What do you think of it ? What sort of transfer rates do
you get ? Where can it be bought ? (I only managed to find one place in the
Sept. 90 Computer Shopper that sold it ... for $307 US).

	Advance Thanx,
	fred

markj@infmx.UUCP (Mark Jeske) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug25.171947.13601@watdragon.waterloo.edu> grwalter@watfun.uwaterloo.ca (Fred Walter) writes:
>I read in an add in Byte that D.P.T.'s Smart Connex SCSI controller looks
>like just a 'normal' controller (no special drivers needed). Has anyone
>used this beasty ? What do you think of it ? What sort of transfer rates do
>you get ? Where can it be bought ? (I only managed to find one place in the
>Sept. 90 Computer Shopper that sold it ... for $307 US).

I've been using it for 2 days now, with a micropolis 1375 drive and a
seagate 296n.  It works great so far!  I've got a dos partition on each
drive, as well as sco xenix 2.3.2AT loaded on the micropolis.  The xenix
2.3.2AT version does not support scsi, so there claim of looking like a
standard mfm drive without software drivers is true.  With a seagate
8 bit scsi controller I would get about a 300K data transfer using
coretest.  With the dtp I'm getting about 5600K.  Yes that's right, 5600K!

I purchased mine from a local distributor for $250, but since it solves the
scsi compatability problems, I would easily pay $300.

Mark Jeske
Informix Software
markj@infmx.com
708-699-5850

ill@uni-paderborn.de (Markus Illenseer) (08/30/90)

grwalter@watfun.uwaterloo.ca (Fred Walter) writes:

>I read in an add in Byte that D.P.T.'s Smart Connex SCSI controller looks
>like just a 'normal' controller (no special drivers needed). Has anyone
>used this beasty ? What do you think of it ? What sort of transfer rates do
>you get ? Where can it be bought ? (I only managed to find one place in the
>Sept. 90 Computer Shopper that sold it ... for $307 US).

>	Advance Thanx,
>	fred
Yeah. If it was this beast, you mean here, this thing has a 68000 processor, and
can be popped up with 8 MB of Cache. No Drivers, no other hardware needed.
I remember that it was increadably fast. The seek time was below 1 ms (!), the
rates was up to 2 Meg/sec (max for ISA-Bus). It is using a special look-ahead
cache to fill the Cache. If you can by it for $300, then buy it !!!!!
CU, Markus
   Markus Illenseer                I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid, I can't do that.
     4790 Paderborn ,United Germany           Email: ill@uni-paderborn.de