[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 4DOS APPEND problems

jan@enea.se (Jan Wester) (08/15/90)

I have a problem with my methods on the PC using 4DOS.
I have read in the README-file that DOS APPEND is not fully supported in
4DOS.
That is a big problem to me if I want to replace COMMAND.COM with 4DOS.
Why ?

Because I have several BAT-files that uses APPEND to let my application
programs search in the right place for data-files for that application.
That means that I can call up an application from everywhere on the
hard-drives and get the application programs to find their data files and
that is very nice I think.

But now it seems that 4DOS does not support this and that is VERY annoying.

Is there any other way to do this with 4DOS ? I have not found any !

The problems with setting comspec to command.com and set up aliases for
command /c does not work without getting hanging and a lot of text from
command.com on the screen.

And I always MUST reboot the system after such a try !

Am I missing something or ?

Another pecularity or bug seems to be that if comspec is set to a path on
the D:-drive where I have my 4DOS-package, there can be confusion when trying
to run programs that are supposing command.com is on the C:-drive like the
version of restart I have.
I then have to manually patch comspec to use command.com to find the files.

This can of course be solved by putting 4DOS to the C-drive (I think). I have
not tested that yet.

I can as an information say that I run DOS4.01 in Microsofts version under
386max from Qualitas.

                 Jan Wester ENEA DATA
                 E-mail = jan@enea.se

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (Markus Fischer) (08/16/90)

In article <2000@enea.se>, jan@enea.se (Jan Wester) writes:
> I have a problem with my methods on the PC using 4DOS.
>
> [... 4DOS and APPEND ...]
>
> Another pecularity or bug seems to be that if comspec is set to a path on
> the D:-drive where I have my 4DOS-package, there can be confusion when trying
> to run programs that are supposing command.com is on the C:-drive like the
> version of restart I have.

If the `restart' is Tom Almy's of May 1990 (recently posted c.b.i.p), then
the boot drive is taken as the first character of the environment varialble
BOOTDRIVE or COMSPEC.  In fact, `restart' isn't looking for the main command
interpreter, but for it's data file `configur.dat', in the root directory of
the drive where BOOTDRIVE or COMSPEC points.  The files actually written by
`restart' can be anywhere.

Markus Fischer                -|--|--|--|--|--|--I   Department of Anthropology
                        -|--|--|--|--|--|--|-(#)-I   University of Geneva
      -|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|--|-(#)-|-(#)(#)(_)-I   CH-1227  Carouge (GE)
   -&-(_)-|--|--|-(#)-&--|-(#)(#)(_)(#)-&-(_)(#)-I   Switzerland
            -|--|--|--|--|-(#)(_)-|-(_)(_)(_)(#)-I
black (#) to kill ! --|--|-(#)(_)(_)(_)(#)(#)(_)(_)  fisher@sc2a.unige.ch
=+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+=(#)=+   fisher@cgeuge52.bitnet

6600m00n@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Jihad 'R US) (08/17/90)

One idea a friend of  mine had is to use the DOS command
subst to create a duplicate of d:\  to, say, z:, and to include
z:. in your path.  so by doing a cd on z:, your path now includes
the directory of choice.

    Hope this helps,
Robert Blair
6600m00n@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu

derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) (08/17/90)

jan@enea.se (Jan Wester) writes:

>I have a problem with my methods on the PC using 4DOS.
>I have read in the README-file that DOS APPEND is not fully supported in
>4DOS.
>That is a big problem to me if I want to replace COMMAND.COM with 4DOS.
>Why ?

>Because I have several BAT-files that uses APPEND to let my application
>programs search in the right place for data-files for that application.
>That means that I can call up an application from everywhere on the
>hard-drives and get the application programs to find their data files and
>that is very nice I think.

>But now it seems that 4DOS does not support this and that is VERY annoying.

>Is there any other way to do this with 4DOS ? I have not found any !

The simplest way around this, unless there is some good reason not to, is
to change directory to where the data files are. I assume they are not
spread around.

And the way to do it is with an alias, and remove the original application
from the path. For example, to run MYAPP set up:
alias MYAPP `pushd d:\mydir^*MYAPP^popd`
where mydir is where the application and its files are. Use the * to override
the alias name. Alternatively use the "in" alias that came with 4dos:
in d:\mydir MYAPP
which does much the same thing, but means alittle more typing.

>The problems with setting comspec to command.com and set up aliases for
>command /c does not work without getting hanging and a lot of text from
>command.com on the screen.

>And I always MUST reboot the system after such a try !

>Am I missing something or ?

Just look at things from a different perspective. I agree, don't do this!

>Another pecularity or bug seems to be that if comspec is set to a path on
>the D:-drive where I have my 4DOS-package, there can be confusion when trying
>to run programs that are supposing command.com is on the C:-drive like the
>version of restart I have.
>I then have to manually patch comspec to use command.com to find the files.

>This can of course be solved by putting 4DOS to the C-drive (I think). I have
>not tested that yet.

Move 4dos.com and 4dos286.exe to the root of C:. It will solve lots of head-
aches.

Another tip, consider making comspec=4dos286.exe. It starts up faster, and
you usually don't need swapping in a shell.

>I can as an information say that I run DOS4.01 in Microsofts version under
>386max from Qualitas.

>                 Jan Wester ENEA DATA
>                 E-mail = jan@enea.se

Best Regards, Derek Carr
DEREK@DTS.INE.PHILIPS.NL           Philips I&E TQV-5 Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Standard Disclaimers apply.

richard@iesd.auc.dk (Richard Flamsholt S0rensen) (08/30/90)

In article <585@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl> derek@sun4dts.dts.ine.philips.nl (derek) writes:
> The simplest way around this, unless there is some good reason not to, is
> to change directory to where the data files are. I assume they are not
> spread around.

  - or to use the set/end-local command:

 setlocal
  set path=newpath;%path    ^rem works if you have a path (you probably do)
  do_whatever
 endlocal                  ^rem restores your old path etc.

   If you aren't keen on having your complete environment restored,
you could save your path in a temporary variable (set temp=%path) and
restore that alone at the end of the batch-file.

--
/Richard Flamsholt
richard@iesd.auc.dk