[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] tcsh ??

richard@gara.une.oz.au (Richard Mackerras CCEN) (08/29/90)

In article <1990Aug28.040348.12171@agate.berkeley.edu>, ucbked@athena.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) writes:
> I canNOT see why anyone would want
> to go to csh as an alternative.

How about the tcsh. It's what I'm using under UNiX. It's really good
if you're a bit lazy at the keyboard or want to be able to recall and edit
history.

Nothing quite like it for pc??  (He asked against all hope)

	Richard Mackerras
	richard@gara.une.oz.au

d87-jse@dront.nada.kth.se (Joakim Sernbrant) (08/31/90)

In article <3414@gara.une.oz.au> richard@gara.une.oz.au (Richard Mackerras CCEN) writes:

>How about the tcsh. It's what I'm using under UNiX. It's really good
>if you're a bit lazy at the keyboard or want to be able to recall and edit
>history.
>
>Nothing quite like it for pc??  (He asked against all hope)

In fact, I have a version half done. Here's a list of what I
intend to implement:

  o Command-line editing using emacs-style commands.

  o Visual step up/down through the history list.

  o Interactive file name completion.

  o File/directory list in the middle of a typed command.

  o Aliases with parameter substitution.

  o List of aliases and history

  o Parameter recall for selected commands.

  o Screen saver (EGA/VGA only).

  o All commands are stored in the history buffer like they should.
    (No more confusing history browsing like with CED)

  o Support of dos F3 key.

Gamma version helpscreen:

Usage: tcshed [/Sn][/O][/Hn][/An][/U][/.][/Ffile]

Options are:
/Ffile  load definitions from file
/Hn     reserve n bytes for history (0 to 16384)
/An     reserve n bytes for aliases (0 to 16384)
/Sn     save EGA/VGA screen after n minutes (0 = off to 30)
/O      overwrite mode
/U      list files in uppercase
/.      show . and ..
/Cc     use c as chain character
/Q      quiet - do not display startup message
/?      show usage

Everything but aliases and parameter recall is finished. The resident
portion for this is just over 3kb. Add history and alias buffers to
that and you should still land below 10kb.

I have tought of implementing "bind" so you can rebind your keys, but
only in the startup file. I also intend to add the csh "!" syntax for
fast recalls of commands. That is the way I prefer to recall commands,
not by scrolling through some list. I will probably add some more
features before I'm all done.

If you have any suggestions or comments, I'd like to hear them.

Jocke

--
--  Joakim Sernbrant, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
--  Internet:  d87-jse@nada.kth.se