[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] C shell for msdos

sfd@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Drellishak) (08/27/90)

Does anyone know of a version of the UNIX C shell (csh) for msdos computers?
Obviously it won't do everything the real csh does (job control, for
instance), but I'm really tired of COMMAND.COM.  If there's no c shell out
there, does anyone know where I might get the source to csh?

Scott Drellishak

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/27/90)

sfd@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Drellishak) writes:

> Does anyone know of a version of the UNIX C shell (csh) for msdos computers?

I got a version of csh off of SIMTEL. I haven't tried it enough to know
how complete it is.
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}

ucbked@athena.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (08/28/90)

In article <1990Aug27.071723.10409@agate.berkeley.edu> sfd@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Drellishak) writes:
>Does anyone know of a version of the UNIX C shell (csh) for msdos computers?
>Obviously it won't do everything the real csh does (job control, for
>instance), but I'm really tired of COMMAND.COM.  If there's no c shell out
>there, does anyone know where I might get the source to csh?

I can see why someone would become {tired, disgusted, outraged, driven
to insanity, etc.} by command.com.  I canNOT see why anyone would want
to go to csh as an alternative.

If you want a **IX shell, check out the MKS Toolkit.  It includes an
excellent implementation of the Korn shell (the Bourne shell on
steroids), vi, awk, and lots of other goodies.  Current price from the
Programmers Connection is $196.

If you really want csh, the Programmers Connection offers a C-Shell by
GW computers: $59 for the executable; $429 for executable and source.

It's worth buying something from Programmers Connection at least once
to get on their mailing list for their superb catalogues.  Like the
old Allied Radio (that dates me to the pre silicon era) catalogues,
they are not just adverts, but real reference works.

Disclaimer:  just a satisfied customer, but I can be bought.  Call for
the latest price!

Earl H. Kinmonth

History Department          Centre for Japanese Studies
Univ. of California         Univ. of Sheffield
Davis, California 95616     Sheffield, England S10 2TN

ucbked@athena.berkeley.edu

steveha@microsoft.UUCP (Steve Hastings) (08/29/90)

_MKS Utilities_ is a Korn shell.
_PolyShell_ is a modified Bourne Shell with all the important C Shell
features hacked in.  (No job control, of course.)

I use _PolyShell_ every day and I don't wish ever to be without it again.
--
Steve "I don't speak for Microsoft" Hastings    ===^=== :::::
uunet!microsoft!steveha  steveha@microsoft.uucp    ` \\==|

low@melair.UUCP (Rick Low) (08/31/90)

sfd@earthquake.Berkeley.EDU (Scott Drellishak) writes:

>Does anyone know of a version of the UNIX C shell (csh) for msdos computers?

Check out Alan Holub's shell as described in his book

        "On Command:  Writing a Unix-Like Shell for MS-DOS"
        M & T Publishing Inc., Redwood City, CA 94063
        published in 1987
        ISBN 0-934375-29-1
        320 pages plus diskette with source and executable code

The book describes the shell operation and the source code in some
detail.  The shell itself is sort of a csh-clone with command line
editing and no job control.  I got the book from a computer book club
and I've been quite happy with the shell.  Between this shell and the
Logical Devices Bourne shell clone posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc
recently, I hardly ever touch COMMAND.COM except to boot up my PC.

cheers
Rick Low
+1 613 957 9500
mitel!melair!low@uunet.uu.net