[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Looking for PD graphing software

medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (08/30/90)

Netlanders:

I help run some academic computer labs for Rutgers students.  One of
the areas that we are lacking in is graphics software.  While we do
offer Lotus 1-2-3, most users find this overwhelming for their simple
graphing needs.

The majority of our undergrads with graphing needs are computer
novices.  They will be assigned a project to be completed with the
tools they are most familiar with.  Often, this means they are using
MS-BASIC interpretor and outputting their results to a file.  A simple
program that could read an ASCII file and produce a limited variety of
graphs would save these users from the grief of learning Lotus 1-2-3.

The types of graphs required are line, xy, xy1y2..yn, and scatter;
though bar, stacked bar, and pie charts would be nice too.  The
software should provide some title and legend capabilities.  Our
systems are PS/2 25's, 30's, 50's and 60's with color displays.  All
systems are attached to NetWare/386 servers, and HP LaserJet III's are
the hard copy devices.

I know there are a few commercial packages available that would server
well, but budget restrictions preclude their purchase at this time.

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CCIS * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

alan@dmsmelb.dms.oz (Alan Miller) (08/31/90)

In article <Aug.30.12.46.43.1990.25219@dorm.rutgers.edu> medici@dorm.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
>Netlanders:
>
>The majority of our undergrads with graphing needs are computer
>novices.  They will be assigned a project to be completed with the
>tools they are most familiar with.  Often, this means they are using
>MS-BASIC interpretor and outputting their results to a file.  A simple
>program that could read an ASCII file and produce a limited variety of
>graphs would save these users from the grief of learning Lotus 1-2-3.
>
>The types of graphs required are line, xy, xy1y2..yn, and scatter;
>though bar, stacked bar, and pie charts would be nice too.  The
>software should provide some title and legend capabilities.  Our
>systems are PS/2 25's, 30's, 50's and 60's with color displays.  All
>systems are attached to NetWare/386 servers, and HP LaserJet III's are
>the hard copy devices.
>
>I know there are a few commercial packages available that would server
>well, but budget restrictions preclude their purchase at this time.
Can I recommend CoPlot.  A powerful and very flexible graphics package which
is sold for US$99.   It will produce all of the graphics you have specified -
and contour plots - and those 3-D hairnet plots.   It includes a range of fonts
including a range of scientific symbols and the Greek alphabet.  There are
parallel packages called CoStat & CoDraw for stats & drawing.   I don't
recommend the stats. package but I have found CoDraw useful.   You may be
able to get a quantity discount for student use.

It's produced by:  CoHort Software
                   P.O. Box 1149, Berkeley, CA 94701, USA
Phone: (415) 524-9878

Of course, you could throw Lotus away and use AsEasyAs - a Lotus 2 compatible
spreadsheet which is easier to use, and is shareware, but CoPlot has much
better graphics.

CoPlot has an option, in its data editor CoPlotEd (included with CoPlot) for
accepting data from Lotus spreadsheets and dBase III/IV files.   Lotus WKS
and WK1 files can be read, but possibly not WK3 files.