[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] xxxx.xxxx.Z files

ssmith@ac.dal.ca (08/28/90)

I have been looking around some FTP site and have noticed most of the files
use a compression method which names a file xxxx.xxxx.Z . I have been told
that this "Z" extension means the files have been compressed with a utility
called "COMPRESS". I have also found out that COMPRESS is a UNIX utility but
there is a version that will run under MS-DOS. Does anybody know where I could
FTP a copy of UNCOMPRESS????

Thanx

jan@cancol.oz (Jan Newmarch) (08/31/90)

In article <1899@ac.dal.ca>, ssmith@ac.dal.ca writes:
but
> Does anybody know where I could
> FTP a copy of UNCOMPRESS????

I don't know about a free copy, but if you buy the MKS toolkit (Unix
tools running under DOS) it includes uncompress

+----------------------+---+
+--------------------------+

richw@hplsla.HP.COM (Rich Wilson) (08/31/90)

/ hplsla:comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc / jan@cancol.oz (Jan Newmarch) /  6:50 pm  Aug 30, 1990 /
In article <1899@ac.dal.ca>, ssmith@ac.dal.ca writes:
but
> Does anybody know where I could
> FTP a copy of UNCOMPRESS????

I don't know about a free copy, but if you buy the MKS toolkit (Unix
tools running under DOS) it includes uncompress

+----------------------+---+
| Jan Newmarch	       |:-)|  ACSnet: jan@cancol.oz
| Info. Sciences & Eng.|___|  ARPA:   jan%cancol.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
| Univ Canberra            |  UUCP:   {uunet,ukc}!munnari!cancol.oz.au!jan
| P.O. Box 1               |  CSNET:  jan%cancol.oz@australia
| Belconnen  A.C.T. 2616   |  JANET:  jan%au.oz.cancol@EAN-RELAY
| AUSTRALIA                |  telephone: 06-522 422
+--------------------------+
----------

From MKS documentation for compress(1)
   "This implementation of compress is limited to a maximum of 14 bit
    compression"

The limit apparently also applies to uncompress, since I recieved an
error message when I tried to uncompress a file which utilized 16 bit
compression the other day.

Rumor has it there might be something on SIMTEL. I haven't looked.

Rich Wilson

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (09/01/90)

In article <12990001@hplsla.HP.COM> richw@hplsla.HP.COM (Rich Wilson) writes:
=/ hplsla:comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc / jan@cancol.oz (Jan Newmarch) /  6:50 pm  Aug 30, 1990 /
=In article <1899@ac.dal.ca>, ssmith@ac.dal.ca writes:
=but
=> Does anybody know where I could
=> FTP a copy of UNCOMPRESS????

I mailed a uuencoded version of the executable for compress 4.3d to
Keith yesterday, along with source code.  It should appear on SIMTEL shortly.

Here's the way to create uncompress:
	copy comp16.exe uncomp.exe

:-)

Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math