[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Buerg's new LIST-PLUS and 4DOS

nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) (08/24/90)

While List-Plus (found in LIST74A.ZIP) is terrific and works
beautifully under MS-DOS, it doesn't work as well as its junior
editions LISTS.COM or LISTR.COM under 4DOS.  Not only does it not
offer the LIST-PLUS innovations; you can't even call up the HELP
screen.  Or use the new keys.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

nol2321@dsacg4.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (08/25/90)

Someone had complained about Buerg's new ListPlus.  Or rather, about the
lists.com and listr.com.  But you see, the reason that these smaller ver.
of the large program don't have help, etc. is so that they can run in a
small amount of memory.  When I shell to DOS from Clarkson Univ's TelBin,
or NCSA Telnet, I have only a few K to work in, and lists.com is a great
answer to my dilemma, especially since I WON'T use LESS.COM!

:)
Jim

jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu (John Silva) (08/25/90)

In article <551@mstr.hgc.edu> nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu writes:
>While List-Plus (found in LIST74A.ZIP) is terrific and works
>beautifully under MS-DOS, it doesn't work as well as its junior
>editions LISTS.COM or LISTR.COM under 4DOS.  Not only does it not
>offer the LIST-PLUS innovations; you can't even call up the HELP
>screen.  Or use the new keys.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Perhaps this is because 4DOS has a built in 'LIST' command, and is not
running LIST-PLUS.  Try disabling the internal LIST command, or using an
alias to refer to LIST-PLUS directly.

-J.

John P. Silva                                 "I drank WHAT?!"
Inova Products, Inc.                 Internet: jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu
(415)222-9255                          Usenet: ucbvax!cogsci!jsilva

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/25/90)

jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu (John Silva) writes:

> Perhaps this is because 4DOS has a built in 'LIST' command, and is not
> running LIST-PLUS.  Try disabling the internal LIST command, or using an
> alias to refer to LIST-PLUS directly.

That's what I've done, following an example in the 4dos docs. Here are
the relevant lines from my ALIASES file:

LOOK=*list
LIST=c:\tools\list.com

The * is needed to prevent 'feedback' in parsing the alias.
--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | #include <stdio.h>                 | Does virtual
    now available at:   | main(){                            | reality need

nmiller@sa1.hgc.edu (norman miller) (08/25/90)

In article <2431@dsacg4.dsac.dla.mil> nol2321@dsacg4.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) writes:
>Someone had complained about Buerg's new ListPlus.  Or rather, about the
>lists.com and listr.com.  But you see, the reason that these smaller ver.
>of the large program don't have help, etc. is so that they can run in a
>small amount of memory.  When I shell to DOS from Clarkson Univ's TelBin,
>or NCSA Telnet, I have only a few K to work in, and lists.com is a great
>answer to my dilemma, especially since I WON'T use LESS.COM!
>
>:)
>Jim

I wasn't complaining about ListPlus.  I said that it worked just fine
under DOS but not under 4DOS and asked for help or clarification on that
point.

In point of fact, although it's quite irrelevant, my version of LISTR.COM
_does_ have help.

In article <27208@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> jsilva@cogsci.berkeley.edu.UUCP (John Silva) writes:

>Perhaps this is because 4DOS has a built in 'LIST' command, and is not
>running LIST-PLUS.  Try disabling the internal LIST command, or using an
>alias to refer to LIST-PLUS directly.
>
>-J.

Hole in one!  I just renamed LIST.COM and Bob's your uncle, as our
British cousins say.  Thanks John.

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (08/26/90)

In article <551@mstr.hgc.edu>, nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) writes:
> While List-Plus (found in LIST74A.ZIP) is terrific and works
> beautifully under MS-DOS, it doesn't work as well as its junior
> editions LISTS.COM or LISTR.COM under 4DOS.  Not only does it not
> offer the LIST-PLUS innovations; you can't even call up the HELP
> screen.  Or use the new keys.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on this?

It seems to work OK for me.  Could there be something wrong with your
installation?

-- cj

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (08/30/90)

In article <551@mstr.hgc.edu>, nmiller@mstr.hgc.edu (norman miller) writes...

>While List-Plus (found in LIST74A.ZIP) is terrific and works
>beautifully under MS-DOS, it doesn't work as well as its junior
>editions LISTS.COM or LISTR.COM under 4DOS.

I think you need to disable 4DOS's internal LIST command for any external
program named LIST [.COM,.EXE,.BAT] to work.  It says how in the 4DOS manual.

jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (09/04/90)

>>While List-Plus (found in LIST74A.ZIP) is terrific and works
>>beautifully under MS-DOS, it doesn't work as well as its junior
>>editions LISTS.COM or LISTR.COM under 4DOS.
>
>I think you need to disable 4DOS's internal LIST command for any external
>program named LIST [.COM,.EXE,.BAT] to work.  It says how in the 4DOS manual.

That is done with the Alias command.
The problem is, each time you type "LIST" (trying to get the list74a), you
get the list command in 4DOS. Either use the alias command in 4dos to make
"list" point to the program of your choice, or rename the list-plus
program to LISTP.COM or somthing else like that....
			-ted-

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (09/05/90)

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) writes:

> >I think you need to disable 4DOS's internal LIST command for any external
> >program named LIST [.COM,.EXE,.BAT] to work.  It says how in the 4DOS manual
> >
> That is done with the Alias command.

Yes, but you can also simply disable the internal LIST command with

setdos /i-list

which is how I first did things. Later, I decided to use the pair of
aliases in the manual:

LOOK=*list
LIST=c:\tools\list.com

Place these in your aliases file (in this order), and you'll have
LIST.COM and the internal version both. I use the internal one for
viewing a single file or the output of a pipe, as it doesn't have to
load a second program.
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}