[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] LIM 3.2 v.s. LIM 4.0

wind@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Wind Chen) (09/04/90)

Larry Jones writes : Does this board support LIM 4.0 is a question should
                     never be asked.

I would like to use a very strong word to point out this is DEADLY wrong.
For the 80286 system, if you plan to buy an Expanded Memory Board, do yourself
a favor, make sure it supports LIM 4.0.  When you ask this question to any
vendor, it means "Does this board have REGISTERS to support LIM 4.0 or not".

I am so surprised that someone still think software emulation is better than
hardware function and is the only thing you need.

~.

scjones@thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) (09/05/90)

In article <26429@bellcore.bellcore.com>, wind@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Wind Chen) writes:
> Larry Jones writes : Does this board support LIM 4.0 is a question should
>                      never be asked.
>
> I would like to use a very strong word to point out this is DEADLY wrong.
> For the 80286 system, if you plan to buy an Expanded Memory Board, do yourself
> a favor, make sure it supports LIM 4.0.  When you ask this question to any
> vendor, it means "Does this board have REGISTERS to support LIM 4.0 or not".
>
> I am so surprised that someone still think software emulation is better than
> hardware function and is the only thing you need.

Goodness, you COMPLETELY misunderstood what I wrote!  Software
emulation is CERTAINLY not better, or even as good as, hardware
support.

The reason you should never ask if a board supports LIM 4.0 is
because the answer is ALWAYS "yes"!  One more time -- ANY EMS
memory board can support LIM 4.0 with the appropriate software
driver.  LIM 4.0 support does NOT imply any advanced features,
only that if the advanced features exist, they will be done in
a standard manner.

So, if you need any advanced features, ask about THEM, not LIM
4.0.  Ask "Does this board have multiple sets of mapping
registers?" or "How many sets of mapping registers does it have?"
or "Will this board fully support multitasking with DesqView?"
But DON'T as "Is the board LIM 4.0 compatible?" because the
answer you get will be meaningless!
----
Larry Jones                         UUCP: uunet!sdrc!thor!scjones
SDRC                                      scjones@thor.UUCP
Milford, OH  45150-2789             AT&T: (513) 576-2070
See if we can sell Mom and Dad into slavery for a star cruiser. -- Calvin