[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Program to read C128 disks on a PC???

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (08/27/90)

I am looking for a program to read/write C128 diskettes on a
PC-compatible.

Is there such a beast? Ideally public-domain or shareware ...

Thanks!
--
Wolf N. Paul, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa.at!wnp

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (08/30/90)

>I am looking for a program to read/write C128 diskettes on a
>PC-compatible.

I've heard there is one called "the Big Blue Reader", but i've never seen it.
If you get ahold of one, let me know. I have some C64 data that needs to go
to IBM, too.			-ted-

ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)

mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (Marc Roussel) (08/30/90)

In article <6441@darkstar.ucsc.edu> ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) writes:
>>I am looking for a program to read/write C128 diskettes on a
>>PC-compatible.
>>
>I've heard there is one called "the Big Blue Reader", but i've never seen it.

Big Blue Reader isn't a PC program that let's you read CBM disks; it's a
program for Commodore computers that let's you write IBM format disks.
It requires either a 1571 or 1581 disk drive.  (It WILL NOT work with
the 1541.)  There was a similar program published by Run! magazine a few
months ago (sorry, I don't know the name).  It too only works with 1571 and 1581
drives.  If you have access to Qlink, the latter may be your cheapest
alternative.

                                Sincerely,

				Marc R. Roussel
                                mroussel@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

piskacrj@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert J Piskac) (08/30/90)

In article <6441@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) writes:
> >I am looking for a program to read/write C128 diskettes on a
> >PC-compatible.
> >
> I've heard there is one called "the Big Blue Reader", but i've never seen it.
> If you get ahold of one, let me know. I have some C64 data that needs to go
> to IBM, too.			-ted-

  You missed the point.  He wants the PC to do the read/write.  Which
  cannot be done.

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/31/90)

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) writes:

> >I am looking for a program to read/write C128 diskettes on a
> >PC-compatible.
> >
> I've heard there is one called "the Big Blue Reader", but i've never seen it.

Big Blue Reader is a Commodore program. There are 2 versions, one for
the 64 and one for the 128. Both require a 1571 drive. I used to use it
when I had both a Commodore and a PC... then I got DesTerm for the 128
and just ran files across a serial link at 9600 bps. :-)
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}

slogan@ms.uky.edu (Stan Logan) (08/31/90)

There is a program called the Big Blue Reader which works on a 1571 or 1581
drive.  It can read and write to a Commodore formatted disk or a MS-DOS disk.
The disk can then be used on a PC.

Stan

rickc@pogo.WV.TEK.COM (Rick Clements) (09/05/90)

In article <6441@darkstar.ucsc.edu> ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) writes:
>>I am looking for a program to read/write C128 diskettes on a
>>PC-compatible.

>I've heard there is one called "the Big Blue Reader", but i've never seen it.
>If you get ahold of one, let me know. I have some C64 data that needs to go
>to IBM, too.			-ted-

Big Blue Reader works well, but it doesn't run on the IBM.  It runs on a C128
with a 1571.  It will read and write the 48 TPI IBM disks (double density).  It
can't read the high density disks.  (I have no trouble reading double density
disks written on a high density drive.)
--
Rick Clements (RickC@pogo.WV.TEK.COM)