[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] PCJOVE Questions

cla@nyx.UUCP (Chuck Anderson) (08/29/90)

I have a few questions about JOVE (PCJOVE). First, is anyone "administering"
this software anymore? I thought I saw some documentation once where J.Payne
had said he could be reached until 1988 sometime.

Is there a version beyond 4.9? There are a couple of bugs that I have noticed.
I can't get the shell-command (into a buffer) to work. It hangs my 286. I've
seen it work on a 386. I don't know if that's the significant difference.
Maybe it's something in the environment.

 - BTW, "push-shell" is the way to run a DOS shell. I've bound it to F10. -

Sometimes when JOVE has to access the disk during the middle of an operation
it "appears" to lose a line of data. The line is blank, but if I kill and yank
it, voila, it's still there.

JOVE hangs when I use it on an "EGA?" monitor (I know, it's lame, but I'm not
sure what this other monitor really is). I get a white screen and the PC is
hung. If I use EGA mode I get a 43/50 line font size, but the screen is only 25
lines long (half the screen).

Do fixes to any of these problems exist? Or does someone just need to show
me the nose on my face? :*)

I've made my own change to the way JOVE generates backup files (I like to call
it MOJOVE). It creates up to 100 separate "name".J00-99 files. It's sort of a
mimicry of VMS versions. It works great. Now, I'm trying to make it use "C" or
"H" instead of just "J" when it recognizes a ".c" or ".h" file, but I am
having trouble getting JOVE to recognize the new variable I've created,
"back-file-char".

Is there a "keeper" of JOVE out there somewhere?

I like this editor!

     Chuck Anderson                uucp    :         uunet!isis!nyx!cla
     Boulder, Co. (303) 494-6278   internet:         cla@nyx.cs.du.edu

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) (09/02/90)

In article <1990@nyx.UUCP>, cla@nyx.UUCP (Chuck Anderson) writes...

>Is there a version beyond 4.9?

I have version 4.14 which I got from SIMTEL20.

> - BTW, "push-shell" is the way to run a DOS shell. I've bound it to F10. -

Anyone know  the  difference between this and "pause-jove".  They seem to do
the same thing to me.

>Sometimes when JOVE has to access the disk during the middle of an operation
>it "appears" to lose a line of data. The line is blank, but if I kill and yank
>it, voila, it's still there.

I still  have  this problem.  I don't know as it has anything to do with the
disk, though.

jim

"The opinions expressed here in no way represent the views of Digital
 Equipment Corporation."

James J. Reisert                Internet: reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp.         UUCP:     ...decwrl!ricks.enet!reisert
77 Reed Road
Hudson, MA  01749-2895

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (09/02/90)

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:

>> - BTW, "push-shell" is the way to run a DOS shell. I've bound it to F10. -

>Anyone know  the  difference between this and "pause-jove".  They seem to do
>the same thing to me.

No difference on Mess-DOS.  On *real* OS's, pause-jove suspends jove's
process and you return to the superior shell, while push-shell spawns
an inferior shell.

--richard

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (09/02/90)

reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:
> In article <1990@nyx.UUCP>, cla@nyx.UUCP (Chuck Anderson) writes...
> > - BTW, "push-shell" is the way to run a DOS shell. I've bound it to F10. -
>
> Anyone know  the  difference between this and "pause-jove".  They seem to do
> the same thing to me.

They do the same thing under MS-DOS.  If you were running JOVE under a
version of Unix with job control, though, they would do different
things.  Push-shell would just spawn another copy of your shell, and
you would end up with your login shell, JOVE, and a new shell.
Pause-jove would use job control commands to pause the JOVE process
and return you to your login shell.  The advantages of pause-jove
include being able to restart JOVE in the background with "bg" and
have it run while you're in the shell, and having non-exported
variables, aliases, etc. available in the shell.  I'm sure there are
other advantages, but as I only use a machine with job control
occassionally (my usual Unix machines are 386's and 486's running SCO
Xenix and Unix), I don't know a whole lot about it.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (09/06/90)

In article <15082@shlump.nac.dec.com> reisert@ricks.enet.dec.com (Jim Reisert) writes:
>> - BTW, "push-shell" is the way to run a DOS shell. I've bound it to F10. -
>Anyone know  the  difference between this and "pause-jove".  They seem to do
>the same thing to me.

Pause-Jove is for an operating system with process-control, like BSD.  In
'suspend-jove' it's like hitting ^Z in most other programs under unix.
DOS doesn't have this, so they do the next best thing...
>>Sometimes when JOVE has to access the disk during the middle of an operation

>>it "appears" to lose a line of data. The line is blank, but if I kill and yank
>>it, voila, it's still there.
>I still  have  this problem.  I don't know as it has anything to do with the
>disk, though.

This is actually a simple bug in Jove.  In the 'scrimage' structure in
'disp.h', the member s_id should be of type 'daddr' rather than 'int'.
On the PC, an 'int' is only 16 bits, where 'daddr' is a long.  The problem
is that when this value is 65536, the line will not be displayed, but it's
really there. (If s_id == 0, line is not displayed...).  When you yank/pop
the line, it gets a new s_id value, which will not be zero anymore.

I am attempting to collect known bugs in Jove 4.14 so a newer version can
be released.

Bill
--
Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil