[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] VGA 256 color modes

consp12@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (David Hoelzer) (09/06/90)

Ok..  Here's a good one..  I keep hearing about all of these
undocumented VGA modes..  Does anyone out there  have any documentation
on any of these modes.  Especially a hiresolution 256 color mode and the
43 line mode..

	Thanks

consp12@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
consp12@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (09/07/90)

In article <3942@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp12@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (David Hoelzer) writes:
>Ok..  Here's a good one..  I keep hearing about all of these
>undocumented VGA modes..  Does anyone out there  have any documentation
>on any of these modes.  Especially a hiresolution 256 color mode and the
>43 line mode..

I don't know about the hires 256 color mode, but the 43 line mode (or better
50 line mode) are documented:

Do this for 43 lines:
	mov	ax, 1201H	; select 350 scan lines
	mov	bl, 30H
	int	10H

Then do this for either 43 or 50 lines:
	mov	ax, 0003H	; select mode 3, and sets scan lines
	int	10H
	mov	ax, 1112H	; load 8x8 font
	mov	bl, 0
	int 	10H
	mov	ax, 1200h	; load better printscreen routine
	mov	bl, 20h
	int	10H

To return to standard mode,

	mov	ax, 1202h	; restore 400 lines (if was in 43 line mode)
	mov	bl, 20h		; otherwise you get EGA resolution 80x25
	int	10h

	mov	ax, 0003h	; select mode 3
	int	10h

Tailor as necessary for high level languages.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply