[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Digital Logic Simulators - What's available for PC286/386?

hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) (09/08/90)

Does anyone have any advice, experience summary or recommendations for a
Digital Logic Simulator software package for the 286/386 environment
(professional level use)?  Any help on this appreciated - please reply by
email...
						Howard Hull
						hull@ncar.ucar.edu

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (09/09/90)

In article <8426@ncar.ucar.edu> hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) writes:
>Does anyone have any advice, experience summary or recommendations for a
>Digital Logic Simulator software package for the 286/386 environment
>(professional level use)?  Any help on this appreciated - please reply by
>email...

Viewlogic Workview is what we use here at HarrisBPD.  They have
nicely integrated Schematic capture, Digital simulation, PLD development,
Analog Spice, and even PCB component placement.  They are remarkably
bug free and easy to learn.  I am more productive with WV than Orcad even
though Orcad is also a neat package.  Workview is quite expensive
(costing thousands of dollars for non-educational use) but companies
have done some amazing things like develop 32bit CPU silicon with it.
Please get the 386package due to more features than the 286.

A less expensive set would be the Tango series.  I like Orcad's schematic
better though.

-----
 "Lets go kick some Earthling butt!" -- Spaced Invaders

quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov    uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep8.211419.14307@bpdsun1.uucp>, rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) writes:
> In article <8426@ncar.ucar.edu> hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) writes:
> >Does anyone have any advice, experience summary or recommendations for a
> >Digital Logic Simulator software package for the 286/386 environment
> >(professional level use)?  Any help on this appreciated - please reply by
> >email...
>
> Viewlogic Workview is what we use here at HarrisBPD.  They have
> nicely integrated Schematic capture, Digital simulation, PLD development,
> Analog Spice, and even PCB component placement.  They are remarkably
> bug free and easy to learn.

I'd like to second ViewLogic's Workview which I used in school, Berkeley.
It is easy to learn and has the advantage that its data files seem to
be portable across platforms; we used the PCs to lay out the basic designs
and transferred them onto our Vaxen for simulation horsepower. They also
seem to have versions for Suns and RISC System/6000s now... All in a
fun system.

					Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan           woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ othernet                          Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +