[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Need sources for bibliographic software

F0O@psuvm.psu.edu (08/24/90)

     Do any of you kind net souls know of any companies that make
bibliographic software?  We need to make some annotated bibliographies.
Also, does anyone know of any magazines that have reviewed this sort
of software?

                                               Thanks muchly,

                                                           [Tim]

stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) (08/31/90)

In article <90235.142909F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>     Do any of you kind net souls know of any companies that make
>bibliographic software?  We need to make some annotated bibliographies.
>Also, does anyone know of any magazines that have reviewed this sort
>of software?

There was a reviews in Science a few years ago, 235:1093 and 238:985;
a little out of date now.  A newsletter put out by the Society for
American Archaeology is publishing an in-depth, 2 part review of
bibliographic databases -- try SAA, 808 17th St. NW, Suite 200,
Wash DC 2006, ask about the issues of SAA Bulletin with both parts
of the review.

They focus on two big ones, ProCite and NoteBook, and one smaller
one called BIB.  Bib is much cheaper, works well but can't annotate.

  Glenn Davis Stone              INTERNET  stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
  Columbia University                UUCP rutgers!columbia!cunixb!stone

mac@mof.govt.nz (08/31/90)

In article <90235.142909F0O@psuvm.psu.edu>, F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>      Do any of you kind net souls know of any companies that make
> bibliographic software?  We need to make some annotated bibliographies.

We settled on PAPYRUS after loooking at 4 or 5 others.
Research Software Design  2718 SW Kelly St, Suite 181, Portland, OR97201
(503)796-1368  is address on manuals.

Cheers, Mac.

eoph12@castle.ed.ac.uk (I F Gow) (09/03/90)

We've been using the Refman package which may be of use.   It stores
references in a database, allows limited searching, will download
from e.g. Medline, Compact Cambridge CD-ROM, etc.  Abstracts/notes for
each reference can be stored as well.   It allows chosen references to
be printed in a form for whatever Journal a manuscript is being sent to,
and it can interface with several word-processors.   You shoul be able
to get a demo version.   Sorry can't remember the name of the company,
but if desperate, e-mail me.

Iain

ucbked@athena.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Aug31.000116.21820@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> stone@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Glenn Stone) writes:
>In article <90235.142909F0O@psuvm.psu.edu> F0O@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>
>>     Do any of you kind net souls know of any companies that make
>>bibliographic software?  We need to make some annotated bibliographies.

Bibliofile is a no cost set of programmes for managing
bibliographies.  You can programme it for most any purpose.  It
evolved out of a project to process medieval rhetoric
bibliographies and those pertaining to the author's own research
(in Japanese history).

Bibliofile runs under XENIX, UNIX, ULTRIX, and MSDOS.

Send e-mail for a description.

Earl H. Kinmonth

History Department          Centre for Japanese Studies
Univ. of California         Univ. of Sheffield
Davis, California 95616     Sheffield, England S10 2TN

ucbked@athena.berkeley.edu