[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] UUPC nuking command.com?

help@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended Help Desk) (09/11/90)

From article <1990Sep11.115623.6091@mp.cs.niu.edu>, by rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert):
>>> UUPC/Extended version 1.08a is now available for the public.  This
>>> package is a small but *free* UUCP based mailer for connecting an MS-DOS
>>> based PC to another PC or UNIX system.
>
>    One question:  Some earlier versions of UUPC allowed you to do wonderful
> things such as
>    uucp myfile pcnode!/command.com
>
>    Mail pcnode!/command.com
>
> Are these wonderful 'features' still available?

Hmmm ... interesting question.  The answer to the question may be yes;
if it is, this is the last release of UUCP that will, because I
promised someone yesterday that I would add a UUCP command to UUPC for
the next release -- and if file transfers are supported, I have to
secure the PC's root directory.  (Actually, add a formal permissions file).

By the way, stunts like the above example are why I don't keep my
command.com in my root directory AND have three sets of backups for my
hard drive.

Also: I grabbed MUSH 6.5 off simtel20 and was reminded why I don't use
it-- it is large enough to require overlays on MS-DOS, which kills
performance.  Nor is it will run on my PC, it complains my UUPC
configuration file doesn't have a HOME directory -- which is a lie.  I
suspect a user problem (mine) on this latter item.

Drew Derbyshire

Internet:  help@kendra.kew.com           Snail mail:  108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:     617-641-3739                               Arlington, MA 02174

billg@cs.tamu.edu (William Gunshannon) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep11.164626.10348@news.clarkson.edu> help@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended Help Desk) writes:
>From article <1990Sep11.115623.6091@mp.cs.niu.edu>, by rickert@mp.cs.niu.edu (Neil Rickert):
>>    One question:  Some earlier versions of UUPC allowed you to do wonderful
>> things such as
>>    uucp myfile pcnode!/command.com
>>
>>    Mail pcnode!/command.com
>>
>> Are these wonderful 'features' still available?
>
>Hmmm ... interesting question.  The answer to the question may be yes;
>if it is, this is the last release of UUCP that will, because I
>promised someone yesterday that I would add a UUCP command to UUPC for
>the next release -- and if file transfers are supported, I have to
>secure the PC's root directory.  (Actually, add a formal permissions file).

I would think that rather than trying to hack something into MSDOS
that it doesn't support/understand (SECURITY), you would be much
better off to make all file transfers INTO the PC go into a spooling
directory (uucppublic), and leave the final disposition up to the
PC user.  There are other files that  you probably don't want over-writen
other than command.com (BIOS.SYS comes immediately to mind) and rather
than trying to protect all these obscure files, I think it would be
much easier to just put them all in one directory and have the user
sort them out.

Comments??

bill gunshannon
bill@platypus.uofs.edu