[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] UUPC 1.08a available

help@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended Help Desk) (09/11/90)

UUPC/Extended version 1.08a is now available for the public.  This
package is a small but *free* UUCP based mailer for connecting an MS-DOS
based PC to another PC or UNIX system.

The original authors of UUPC in Vancouver have moved onto other projects
and blessed (cursed?) my efforts of updating UUPC; thus, version 1.08a
is a replacement for both the interim release of UUPC and UUPC/Extended
1.07j.

UUPC/extended 1.08a can be retrieved via anonymous FTP from
clutx.clarkson.edu, directory pub/uupc, and from the Clarkson CUHUG BBS,
telephone 315-268-6667, file area 4. The file names are:

        UUPC08AU.ZIP            (Executables and documents)
        UUPC08AS.ZIP            (Source files)

It will get also loaded to WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL, directory
PD2:<MSDOS2.UUCP>, but because of the cutbacks at SIMTEL20 I am unsure
when.

Major changes for this release include:

        Users can include messages from the mailbox when replying to
        mail, and issue other commands when sending mail.

        File name collisions when receiving files with mixed case names
        from UNIX hosts are now avoided.

        Full host names (greater than six characters) are sent to remote
        hosts.

        UUPC/extended now understands daylight savings time, and
        automatically changes the name of the time zone twice a year.

        Additional status messages if UUIO fails when connecting to the
        remote system.

        Modified packet machine to count errors on a per packet basis;
        this means that a file transfer will not fail because of errors
        which slow but do not halt the transfer, but a file transfer
        which is hung on a single bad packet will fail after MAXERR
        retries.

        The source files have been reorganized, and now compile
        under Turbo C++ 1.0 or Microsoft 6.0 C.  Turbo C 2.0 is no
        longer supported because of MAKEFILE changes.

        Appending the signature file is now controlled by a new
        option flag, "autosign".

        The help files have be externalized.

NOTE:  Because of the some of the changes in the require changes in
UUPC/extended setup, the documentation files, especially CHANGES.DOC,
should be reviewed before using the new release.

My thanks to Keith Peterson and Russ Nelson for help in loading
UUPC/extended to various places.

Please direct all questions on UUPC or UUPC/extended to
help@kendra.kew.com.
--
Drew Derbyshire

Internet:  help@kendra.kew.com           Snail mail:  108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:     617-641-3739                               Arlington, MA 02174

argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep11.013003.4199@news.clarkson.edu> help@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended Help Desk) writes:
> UUPC/Extended version 1.08a is now available for the public.  This
> package is a small but *free* UUCP based mailer for connecting an MS-DOS
> based PC to another PC or UNIX system.

>         Users can include messages from the mailbox when replying to
>         mail, and issue other commands when sending mail.
>         Appending the signature file is now controlled by a new
>         option flag, "autosign".
>         The help files have be externalized.

Does uupc have its own user agent front end?  Why?

The "features" listed here are all available in Mush and Mush
works with (is built for) UUPC on DOS and OS/2 machines.
I don't know a lot (anything) about the PC environment,
especially with respect to uupc, but if I may enquire to the
authors: why don't you just have UUPC do the mail transfer
and distribute Mush as the user agent for the program?

For those interested, the latest version of Mush (7.1.2) is
reported to have been completed by Mike O'Carroll.  His email
address is <lmoc@elec-eng.leeds.ac.uk>.  Ironically enough,
I don't where where you can ftp it from, but Mike has always
been good about sending people a copy of it if they request
it.  Perhaps someone can do so and make it available.

Disclaimer: Bart Schaefer and I have nothing to do with the
DOS port of Mush aside from blessing Mike's efforts in porting
it to DOS/OS-2), so please don't mail us about it.  You *can*
mail to mush-users@apple.com or comp.mail.mush (same thing)
and ask there -- there's lots of dos-mush users that read that
newsgroup.

--
dan
O'Reilly && Associates   argv@sun.com / argv@ora.com

In article <142159@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller) writes:
>In article <1990Sep11.013003.4199@news.clarkson.edu> help@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended Help Desk) writes:
>> UUPC/Extended version 1.08a is now available for the public.  This
>> package is a small but *free* UUCP based mailer for connecting an MS-DOS
>> based PC to another PC or UNIX system.

   One question:  Some earlier versions of UUPC allowed you to do wonderful
things such as
   uucp myfile pcnode!/command.com

   or

   Mail pcnode!/command.com

Are these wonderful 'features' still available?

  Northern Illinois Univ.
  DeKalb, IL 60115.                                  +1-815-753-6940

help@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended Help Desk) (09/11/90)

From article <142159@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, by argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller):
> Does uupc have its own user agent front end?  Why?

Yes.  Because it always had one (at least since it was called UUPC.)
dcp may have gottom posted to the net before it was UUPC, but UUPC and
UUPC/extended ALWAYS have had an MUA.

> The "features" listed here are all available in Mush and Mush
> works with (is built for) UUPC on DOS and OS/2 machines.
> I don't know a lot (anything) about the PC environment,
> especially with respect to uupc, but if I may enquire to the
> authors: why don't you just have UUPC do the mail transfer
> and distribute Mush as the user agent for the program?

Because UUPC/extended is a self-contained package.  UUPC existed for
several years before the back-end was borrowed for Mush or anything
else.

I keep the UUPC/extended MUA up to date because UUPC/Extended is the
smallest of the working DOS UUCP packages, and I'm too lazy to switch.
My limited understand of Mush is that it is bigger.

Mush used the the dcp component of UUPC (the UUPC back end), and
ignored the UUPC front-end; perfectly okay, but at the same time, I
*wish* they didn't call it UUPC; it confuses people.  (As I said, the
back end has its own name, "dcp".)

I don't even know what version of dcp is used for Mush; however, since I
updated dcp in the latest UUPC/extended release, running Mush/dcp and
UUPC/extended 1.08 on the same machine is a bad idea because of
different spool directory formats.

Drew Derbyshire

Internet:  help@kendra.kew.com           Snail mail:  108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:     617-641-3739                               Arlington, MA 02174

sl@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Stuart Lynne) (09/12/90)

In article <1990Sep11.123725.8462@news.clarkson.edu> help@kendra.kew.com (Drew Derbyshire - UUPC/extended Help Desk) writes:
}From article <142159@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, by argv@turnpike.Eng.Sun.COM (Dan Heller):
}> Does uupc have its own user agent front end?  Why?
}
}Yes.  Because it always had one (at least since it was called UUPC.)
}dcp may have gottom posted to the net before it was UUPC, but UUPC and
}UUPC/extended ALWAYS have had an MUA.
}
}> The "features" listed here are all available in Mush and Mush
}> works with (is built for) UUPC on DOS and OS/2 machines.
}> I don't know a lot (anything) about the PC environment,
}> especially with respect to uupc, but if I may enquire to the
}> authors: why don't you just have UUPC do the mail transfer
}> and distribute Mush as the user agent for the program?
}
}Because UUPC/extended is a self-contained package.  UUPC existed for
>several years before the back-end was borrowed for Mush or anything
}else.

Just a footnote here.

When we did uupc we put everything into one package because we where not
sure that we would be able to find a system() call everywhere (like on the
Mac, Atari, etc). So even though the MS-DOS version could have had separate
programs we made it all in one for portability.

We would far prefer to have had separate programs allowing them to be
extended.

--
Stuart Lynne	Unifax Communications Inc.
		...!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice)     	sl@wimsey.bc.ca