[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Coherent Unix PC

cro@cs.arizona.edu (Charles R. Oldham) (09/08/90)

In article <394@cancol.oz>, jan@cancol.oz (Jan Newmarch) writes:
> In article <5979@uwm.edu>, carinhas@csd4.csd.uwm.edu
> (Philip A Carinhas) writes:
> >
> >   Does anyone know if there is a shareware version of Unix for pc's?
> > How about an inexpensive commercial version? Thanks,
>
> Mark Williams is advertising (e.g. Byte) a Unix clone called Coherent
> at US $99. Our copy hasn't arrived yet, but the price is nice.

	Hey!  Anybody know anything about this?  This seems to be an
out-of-sight price for a somewhat complete Unix system.  Does it work
at all?  How about on a 80286 16Mhz w/1Mb Ram?  I'm incredibly excited
about this because it would allow me (a lowly student) to gather some
much desired experience with Unix on a level other than just a user...

	Replies to me would be nice, as 200+ msgs a day on this group
are a bit much to read...

	Thanks!

*Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham                    | Bitnet: OLDHAM@ARIZRVAX       *
*Department of Instructional Computing        | Internet:                     *
*Ctr. for Computing Information and Technology| (Preferred)                   *
*University of Arizona                        |   cro@caslon.cs.arizona.edu   *
*Tucson, Arizona                              |or oldham@rvax.ccit.arizona.edu*
*USA                                          | IXOYE                         *
*  #include <disclaimer.yuk>                                                  *

MHS108@psuvm.psu.edu (Mark Solsman) (09/13/90)

While on the subject of low-cost unix, does anyone know of a source for unix
apps?  Ftp / bbs ???

   -thanks muchly!
----
Mark Solsman
The Pennsylvania State University - Worthington Campus, Scranton, Pa.
Bitnet   : MHS108 at PSUVM
Internet : MHS108 at PSUVM.PSU.EDU