[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Re^2: Dvorak keys vs. QWERT

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (09/08/90)

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:

>Disclaimer: I don't know if my experience is typical.  I had
>18 years experience touch-typing on QWERTY when I retrained
>myself on the DSK, and that was ten years ago.  I seldom do
>more than an hour or two of typing a day.  My QWERTY speed
>never got much beyond 40 wpm, but I can generally do over 70
>wpm on the DSK.

I haven't tried Dvorak, but Donald Norman ("The Psychology of Everyday
Things") claims that it's quite well documented that a conversion from
QWERTY to Dvorak will increase speed by no more than 10% for the average
user.  So it's probably not worth doing for the average QWERTY-comfortable
touch-typist.

--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (09/09/90)

In article <1990Sep7.180323.8467@intek01.uucp> mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:
>
>>Disclaimer: I don't know if my experience is typical.  I had
>>18 years experience touch-typing on QWERTY when I retrained
>>myself on the DSK, and that was ten years ago.  I seldom do
>>more than an hour or two of typing a day.  My QWERTY speed
>>never got much beyond 40 wpm, but I can generally do over 70
>>wpm on the DSK.
>
>I haven't tried Dvorak, but Donald Norman ("The Psychology of Everyday
>Things") claims that it's quite well documented that a conversion from
>QWERTY to Dvorak will increase speed by no more than 10% for the average
>user.  So it's probably not worth doing for the average QWERTY-comfortable
>touch-typist.

I can go from Sun type 4 to IBM extended PC without
screaming and cursing now.  Thanks whoever for putting the
squiggle in a more accessible place for unix but PLEASE don't do
me any more favors, ok Sun? :-)  I would appreciate a Dvorak type 4
though...

My pursuit of Dvorak has to do with Corpal-Tunnel syndrome.  It
seems like I have to break up my typing into one hour segments
because of the excruciating pain in my wrists.
Will the reduced wrist movements lengthen my productivity time
(perhaps help me delay surgery?)  This would more than make
up for the problem of having a different layout someone else's
machine.

-----
 "Lets go kick some Earthling butt!" -- Spaced Invaders

quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov    uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf

bote@csense.uucp (John Boteler) (09/11/90)

From article <1990Sep7.180323.8467@intek01.uucp>, by mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins):

> I haven't tried Dvorak, but Donald Norman ("The Psychology of Everyday
> Things") claims that it's quite well documented that a conversion from
> QWERTY to Dvorak will increase speed by no more than 10% for the average
> user.  So it's probably not worth doing for the average QWERTY-comfortable
> touch-typist.

I never put much faith in statistics, especially not in statisticians!

They key here is not sheer numbers of keystrokes per minute, fostering
images of some typing boiler room, but, rather, the fact that it is
just plain easier to type the most common words because the fingers
need not fly all over the keyboard to locate frequently used letters.

I can type the word 'the' without ever leaving home (row, that is) under
Dvorak. Similar economies exist for many other frequently typed words.

Even if the speed numbers alone are not compelling enough, remember
the valid consideration of digital fatigue of typists' fingers. Ouch!

--
John Boteler   bote@csense.uucp           {uunet | ka3ovk}!media!csense!bote
SkinnyDipper's Hotline: 703-241-BARE | VOICE only, Touch-Tone(TM) signalling

pdwalker@bcarh471.bnr.ca (Paul D Walker) (09/12/90)

>I haven't tried Dvorak, but Donald Norman ("The Psychology of Everyday
>Things") claims that it's quite well documented that a conversion from
>QWERTY to Dvorak will increase speed by no more than 10% for the average
>user.  So it's probably not worth doing for the average QWERTY-comfortable
>touch-typist.
>
>Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
>+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...
>1400 112th Ave SE #202		Bellevue WA  98004
>mark@intek.com    		Ask me about C++!

I switched one of my computers over to DVORAK a year ago and painfully
relearned how to type.

The one thing that I discovered is that my fingers stopped hurting from
a long day of typing.  I have never formally learned how to type, and just
by practice, I am up to a speed of 50 wpm in a good stretch on QWERTY, but
at the end of the day, I feel as if I have arthritus.

The benefit I get is the release from this pain and an improved typing speed.

I will continue to use DVORAK.

Paul.

 * Paul D. Walker               PHONE : (613)765-2590                       *
 * Bell-Northern Research, Ltd. BITNET: pdwalker@bnr.car                    *
 * Ottawa Ontario Canada        USENET: ...!uunet!bnrgate!bmerh732!pdwalker *

mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (09/13/90)

But how will you play Rogue or similar games on a non-standard keyboard????

:-)

Doug McDonald