[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Dvorak keys vs. QWERT

hardaker@iris.UCDavis.EDU (Wes Hardaker) (09/07/90)

Does anyone know both keyboards, and do you have a problem getting
confused?  I doubt anyone just know the Dvorak style since there are so
few keyboards that support Dvorak.  I think this would be a problem
switching from one to the other, however, or is the brain intelligent
enough to seperate the two during their respective use.

                                                                _____
							       / ___ \
Wes Hardaker					       	      / /   \/
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science    \--/     /\
University of California at Davis	 __________________   \/     /--\
(hardaker@iris.ucdavis.edu)             /     Recycle      \    /\___/ /
                                       / It's not too late! \   \_____/

funkstr@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Larry Hastings) (09/07/90)

+-In article <7657@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu>, hardaker@iris.UCDavis.EDU
+----------

| Does anyone know both keyboards, and do you have a problem getting
| confused?  I doubt anyone just know the Dvorak style since there are so
| few keyboards that support Dvorak.  I think this would be a problem
| switching from one to the other, however, or is the brain intelligent
| enough to seperate the two during their respective use.

+----------

I have a Northgate OmniKey/PLUS, which supports two Dvorak layouts
(one with the standard QWERTY number keys, and one with the weird Dvorak
number key layout).  This is a nice keyboard in many other ways, and is very
easy to get (just order from Northgate).  The keyboard is about $100, and
you can optionally get Dvorak keycaps for another $15 (you can't just move
the keys that are already there -- they have differently shaped keys for each
row).

I don't _know_ the Dvorak keyboard layout, but I am working on it -- and it
seems to me that your brain could keep them mostly separated (there might
be a little crossover, but not much).  It occurs to me that this is similar to
(although more complex than) switching between an 84-key and a 101-key -- and
my brain is able to remember that the Esc and the function keys are above the
alphanum keys.
--
larry hastings, the galactic funkster, funkstr@ucscb.ucsc.edu

I don't speak for Knowledge Dynamics or UC Santa Cruz, nor do they speak for me

"I said to my girlfriend 'What do you want?' and she said 'Oh, just get me
 something crazy and expensive that I don't even need'... so I signed her up
 for radiation treatments." --Emo Phillips

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (09/07/90)

Wes Hardaker (hardaker@iris.UCDavis.EDU) writes:
+--
| Does anyone know both keyboards, and do you have a problem
| getting confused?  I doubt anyone just know the Dvorak style
| since there are so few keyboards that support Dvorak.  I
| think this would be a problem switching from one to the other,
| however, or is the brain intelligent enough to seperate the
| two during their respective use.
+--

I converted my personal equipment to the Dvorak Simplified
Keyboard, but of course I often have to use QWERTY.  It
doesn't bother me for long, as the feel of the keyboard
tends to serve as a cue to tell me which layout to use.

If I start using the wrong mental set, after noticing a few
typos I tend to snap into the correct set.  My usual pattern
is to use full touch typing on Dvorak (not looking at the
keyboard at all), but during casual use of QWERTY I tend to
look at the keys.  If I have to use QWERTY for more than a
few minutes, my touch training on QWERTY kicks in.

Disclaimer: I don't know if my experience is typical.  I had
18 years experience touch-typing on QWERTY when I retrained
myself on the DSK, and that was ten years ago.  I seldom do
more than an hour or two of typing a day.  My QWERTY speed
never got much beyond 40 wpm, but I can generally do over 70
wpm on the DSK.
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep7.055025.16732@nmt.edu> john@nmt.edu (John Shipman)
writes:

Since the Dvorak vs. Qwerty discussion has come again, let me ask a
dumb question that I've been curious about.  Note I've never used a
Dvorak keyboard, but can touch type at a reasonable rate (I think I
did 40-60wpm when I took typing class 15 years ago).

Many of the Dvorak proponents seem to be computer jocks, rather than
your classic secretary types.  Do people who claim to like Dvorak
because qwerty slows you down, really type enough to get the
advantages out of the higher speed?  I would imagine that if you were
sitting, typing away all day transcribing material (ie, a 60-100wpm
secretary) that you would get a gain.  I don't find myself powertyping
that much at a time, I find I need to either compose what I'm writing,
or rearrange things.

--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Do apple growers tell their kids money doesn't grow on bushes?

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (09/08/90)

In a recent article hardaker@iris.UCDavis.EDU (Wes Hardaker) writes:

>Does anyone know both keyboards, and do you have a problem getting
>confused?  I doubt anyone just know the Dvorak style since there are so
>few keyboards that support Dvorak.  I think this would be a problem
>switching from one to the other, however, or is the brain intelligent
>enough to seperate the two during their respective use.

I've had some, but not much, problems switching from the one to the other.
But then, I avoid Dvorak if I have a choice. I find that I type about
as fast on a QWERTY keyboard. It should be noted, though, that most of
my typing is in Swedish. The Dvorak layout is optimized solely for the
English language. If someone came up with an equally optimizied
keyboard for Swedish, I might well switch to using it.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer (ask him).

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (09/08/90)

In article <1990Sep7.180323.8467@intek01.uucp> mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:

   I haven't tried Dvorak, but Donald Norman ("The Psychology of Everyday
   Things") claims that it's quite well documented that a conversion from
   QWERTY to Dvorak will increase speed by no more than 10% for the average
   user.  So it's probably not worth doing for the average QWERTY-comfortable
   touch-typist.

A claim was also made that fewer typso are made on Dvorak keyboards.
Can anyone corroborate this?  Also, the original study was performed
on people using typewriters, not people using Emacs (GNU flavor).  Is
the keyboard still optimal when you are a frequent user of C-t?

-Mike

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (09/09/90)

Mark McWiggins (mark@intek01.uucp) writes:
+--
| I haven't tried Dvorak, but Donald Norman ("The Psychology
| of Everyday Things") claims that it's quite well documented
| that a conversion from QWERTY to Dvorak will increase speed
| by no more than 10% for the average user.  So it's probably
| not worth doing for the average QWERTY-comfortable touch-typist.
+--

I disagree with this assertion; I don't do that much typing,
and Dvorak gives me almost a twofold speed advantage.

I got a message from someone identified only as bpdsun1!rmf,
asking whether the Dvorak keyboard made any difference in
fatigue.  I tried to reply via e-mail, but my reply bounced.

My experience indicates that the Dvorak keyboard has two other
significant advantages besides raw speed.  First, it is less
fatiguing.  People watching me type have often remarked that
my fingers barely seem to move; this is probably because 70%
of Dvorak typing is done on the home row, vs. 32% with QWERTY,
according to Dvorak's measurements.

Another important advantage is a reduced error rate.  Stroking
is often awkward on the QWERTY keyboard, and awkwardness leads
to errors.

To me, using the QWERTY keyboard is like driving a clapped-out
'64 Rambler, and using the DSK is like driving a modern, highly
responsive sports car.  The feel is quite different.
--

david@star2.cm.utexas.edu (David Sigeti) (09/09/90)

In article <1990Sep8.174830.12039@nmt.edu> john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) writes:

> My experience indicates that the Dvorak keyboard has two other
> significant advantages besides raw speed.  First, it is less
> fatiguing.  People watching me type have often remarked that
> my fingers barely seem to move; this is probably because 70%
> of Dvorak typing is done on the home row, vs. 32% with QWERTY,
> according to Dvorak's measurements.
> --
> John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
> ``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

It sounds from this that the Dvorak keyboard might be better for
typists with Karpal tunnel syndrome and possibly other typing related
repetitive motion injuries.  I have heard that Karpal tunnel syndrome
is particularly aggravated by reaching for the upper row with the
outer two fingers.  If so, then Dvovak could be a real God-send to a
lot of people (including me).  Has anyone out there heard or read
anything about Dvorak and repetitive motion injuries?

--
David Sigeti    david@star2.cm.utexas.edu    cmhl265@hermes.chpc.utexas.edu

bote@csense.uucp (John Boteler) (09/11/90)

From article <1990Sep7.055025.16732@nmt.edu>, by john@nmt.edu (John Shipman):
> Wes Hardaker (hardaker@iris.UCDavis.EDU) writes:
> +--
> | Does anyone know both keyboards, and do you have a problem
> | getting confused?
>
> I converted my personal equipment to the Dvorak Simplified
> Keyboard, but of course I often have to use QWERTY.  It
> doesn't bother me for long, as the feel of the keyboard
> tends to serve as a cue to tell me which layout to use.

I am curious as to why the discussion refers to keyboards as physical
entities, rather than the layout as interpreted by the computer
systems.

I have never purchased a Dvorak keyboard, yet I have been using the
layout for over 5 years. Works great, less typing!

Under DOS, I use SuperKey to remap the keyboard. Under Xenix, I use
the 'mapkey' utility for remapping the console keyboard layout.
A bit easier and quicker to implement, not to mention much cheaper!

I switch readily, albeit grudgingly, to QWERTY when forced to by
backward computers :?  Think of the analogy to standard vs automatic
transmissions in cars.

--
John Boteler   bote@csense.uucp           {uunet | ka3ovk}!media!csense!bote
SkinnyDipper's Hotline: 703-241-BARE | VOICE only, Touch-Tone(TM) signalling

hardaker@iris.ucdavis.edu (Wes Hardaker) (09/11/90)

Ok...  It sounds like the Dvorak keyboard is worth looking into at
least, but now comes the question of where a decent typing tutor
exists that recognizs Dvorak style?  Anyone?  Anyone?  (I have access
to most types of computers, but something public domain is a must...
I'd rather teach myself than spend money.)

I too am curious about using emacs with Dvorak and how that feels.  No one
has responded to this question yet...

                                                                _____
							       / ___ \

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (09/11/90)

Wes Hardaker (hardaker@iris.ucdavis.edu) writes:
+--
| Ok...  It sounds like the Dvorak keyboard is worth looking
| into at least, but now comes the question of where a decent
| typing tutor exists that recognizs Dvorak style?  Anyone?
| Anyone?
+--

I have a small booklet of typing exercises for the Dvorak
keyboard, but it is copyrighted by Smith-Corona.

+--
| I too am curious about using emacs with Dvorak and how
| that feels.  No one has responded to this question yet...
+--

I use emacs with a DSK all the time.  I remapped the control
characters to match the regular controls, so C-x is under
the new position of the X key.  I like it just fine.  It's a
little hard to do C-x C-s C-x C-c one-handed, but it's no
extra trouble if your hands are in the touch typing
position---and the whole point of DSK is to improve touch
typing.
--

penneyj@servio.UUCP (D. Jason Penney) (09/11/90)

In article <7657@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> hardaker@iris.UCDavis.EDU (Wes Hardaker) writes:
>Does anyone know both keyboards, and do you have a problem getting
>confused?  I doubt anyone just know the Dvorak style since there are so
>few keyboards that support Dvorak.  I think this would be a problem
>switching from one to the other, however, or is the brain intelligent
>enough to seperate the two during their respective use.

OK, I've been gone a week on vacation, and look what's going around
comp.misc when I return!  I think you can call me an authority on the
Dvorak keyboard.  I've been using it for about 5 years.  I have software
that will convert an IBM or a Sun to Dvorak.  Of course, these drivers
allow one to switch back and forth, so that others can use your machine!

I have also found material relating to the one-handed versions of the
American Simplified Keyboard (as it is referred to in the patent).

I have software to allow one to learn to touch type, either Dvorak or Qwerty
(Sholes).  It comes in two flavors: the quasi-original MS-BASIC format
(derived from a VMS-BASIC program from Harris Corp. on a DECUS tape some
years back), and a rewritten version in C using curses.

I switch between the two types of keyboards regularly, but I *definitely*
prefer the Dvorak layout.  BTW, there *was* a period of disorientation
while I was learning, but with additional practice with the software this
problem quickly disappeared.

The Navy commissioned a study to see if Dvorak layouts could improve the
productivity of their clerical staff.  The results were inconclusive.
However, the 95% reduction in cumulative finger motion is easily verifiable,
and has its own rewards.

ALL of this software is available from my MBAS (mail-based archive server).
The pertinent filenames are:

[extracted from "index"]

[snip]
dvorak/ -- Dvorak support for IBM PC's and the Sun console, plus a tutorial
         program and test data for learning to touch-type either dvorak
         or qwerty.

-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     56241 Mar 21 09:46 dvorak/Data01
-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     51507 Mar 21 09:46 dvorak/Data02
-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     44805 Mar 21 09:46 dvorak/Data03
-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     43184 Mar 21 09:46 dvorak/Data04
	These are the data files for the learning program

-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     50964 Mar 21 09:48 dvorak/Ibm01
-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     33413 Mar 21 09:48 dvorak/Ibm02
	These are the drivers and a BASICA version of the learning program
        for the IBM and compatibles.

	The driver is "smart" -- you can toggle between qwerty and dvorak,
	and even one-handed layouts are available.  It could use more work,
	but I've used it in its current form for years.

-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     19278 Mar 21 11:34 dvorak/Unix01
	This is the learning program in C and under curses, as well
	as a driver for the Sun console keyboard.

-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     55945 Mar 22 16:28 dvorak/Xenix01
-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj      9281 Mar 22 16:28 dvorak/Xenix02
	This is "keybind", a console remapper for Xenix 386 (and presumably
	some SysV variants as well).  No dvorak mapping is included, because
	I can't test it here.  I include it because it looks pretty clear that
	it could be used to implement a Dvorak keyboard.  Note you'll have to
	pick up Unix01 if you want the learning program.
[snip]

The remainder of this message is the help file from my MBAS.  Enjoy!
-----
	      HELP FOR jason-archive, as of 27 Apr 1990

This is a variant of the "kiss" archive server.  Requests to this
server should be addressed to penneyj@slc.com, and include the
phrase, "jason-archive-request" in the subject.

To contact a human, make sure that "jason-archive-request" is NOT in
your Subject: line.

The Subject: line is otherwise ignored.  The remainder of the mail
message should consist of "kiss" commands, one per line.  Lines that do
not form a valid command are ignored.

You may request multiple files in a single mail message.  There is no
advantage in splitting the requests into multiple mail messages.

The server recognizes six commands. They are:

path <path>     This lets the requestor override the address that is normally
		be extracted from the header.  If you do not hear from the
		archiver server within oh, about 2 days, you should consider
		adding a "path" command to your request.  The path describes
		how to mail a message from slc.com to your address.  Overriding
		the path can also reduce uunet charges (see below).

		slc.com is directly connected to ogicse and uunet.  I strongly
		prefer that your replies be routed through ogicse.
		Domain-based addresses are preferred, such as:

		path luser@baz.foo.bar.edu

		(These will be automatically routed through ogicse.)
		An example without domain routing:

		path ogicse!foo!oof!bar!rab!luser

help            This message.  It equivalent to the command "send help".

index           This is equivalent to the command "send index".

send <whatever> The whatever is mailed to you.  Examine the index to see what
		is currently available.  Wildcards are NOT supported -- if you
		want multiple files, you should ask for them separately, one
		per line.

		Filenames are relative to a kiss "data" directory.  All files
		except "index" and "help" are in subdirectories, so you will
		need to prepend a directory path, Unix style.  Filenames are
		case-sensitive.

compress	ALL of the files requested in the current mail message will be
		"compressed" and "xxencoded".  "xxencode" is NOT compatible
		with uuencode, so you will need to acquire misc/Xxencode01
		BEFORE using this.

		xxencode is preferred over uuencode because the latter is
		useless on some BITNET sites using non-ASCII character sets.
		This is related to translation problems in some Internet/Bitnet
		gateways.

		If your system does not have compress, a public domain version
		is available in misc/.

		This is the most economical way to move files, but again,
		you will need to upload misc/Xxencode01 in a separate message,
		and possibly misc/Ncompress01 and misc/Ncompress02 as well.

quit            Nothing past this point is interpreted. This is provided so
		that the occasional lost soul whose signature contains a line
		that looks like a command can still use the server without
		getting a bogus response.
--
D. Jason Penney           Ph: (503) 629-8383
Beaverton, OR 97006       uucp: ...uunet!servio!penneyj (penneyj@slc.com)

duncan@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (09/13/90)

It's been noted that

>Many of the Dvorak proponents seem to be computer jocks, rather than
>your classic secretary types.  Do people who claim to like Dvorak
>because qwerty slows you down, really type enough to get the
>advantages out of the higher speed?  I would imagine that if you were
>sitting, typing away all day transcribing material (ie, a 60-100wpm
>secretary) that you would get a gain.  I don't find myself powertyping
>that much at a time, I find I need to either compose what I'm writing,
>or rearrange things.

Which I think is a fair representation of things.  At SHARE (a large user group
of customers for IBM mainframes) meetings, I have heard human factors folks
from IBM state that they had, at least in the past, done most of their studies
of keyboards with data entry personnel.  This was because they were the ones
with the heaviest usage of keyboards.  Customers at SHARE (mostly from
programming shops rather than data entry departments) thought that profiles of
other keyboard use needed to be more heavily examined.  (Not picking on IBM on
this point as it's just an example that probably all manufacturers of keyboards
probably follow.)

In any event, my inclination would be to avoid the whole issue of speed and
advocate investing more resource into better scanning mechanisms to avoid heavy
transcription tasks in the first place.  At one time the keyboard layout debate
may have been very important, but technology is probably going to (if it has
not really already) make this irrelevant.

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (908-699-3910 (w)   609-737-2945 (h))