[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Lotus 1-2-3

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (09/13/90)

A word of warning and an atonement to lotus.
The version 3 Install program is my nomination for the worst work
of the year.  The distribution is on high density media, (in my case 1.2M)
and gets worse from there.  The files are compressed to save space.
All 3 copies I opened were missing the card to request 360K disks.  No
mention of 3.5 drives.  The software requires a AT & about 1 MB, and the
only computer with all the media resources I needed was a XT.  The install
program also requires a AT.  Why is beyond me.  The Install program crashed
time after time, for reason after reason.  Each time ruining or almost
ruining the 1.2 M disk.  After everything, there isn't any option to install
all the drivers the first time so just about any change requires the original
distribution media to change the selected hardware.  What's worse, the
program MUST use the same drive media as the distribution disks.  If you
upgrade to 3.5 in drives, you basically won't ever be able to change the
selected equipment without paying lotus for new disks....
The whole ordeal was a mess, and I abhore the thought of trying to manage
multiple copies of this stupid thing on a variety/ mish-mash of patched
up hardware.
I strongly stand behind lotus's rights to be paid for their products, etc.
But, in this case the 'copy protection' deal is a terrible mess.
I must add that the customer service (I called) was VERY helpful and took
care of the problem almost without comment.  Still it's the very idea of that
stupid mess.  I also must add that now that I seem to have the whole
thing patched up and running, I can say that I know just about everything
anyone would ever need to know about getting it to work.
I'll also add that with 640 base, and 128 extended there was enough to do
basic work like with 2.2.  I'll be playing with minimum memory configs
for awhile, but have read that it will actually work in 640 too (not from
lotus).
al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

JCS120@psuvm.psu.edu (09/13/90)

Your primary problem is that LOTUs 3 is designed to ONLY run on
an 286 or higher machine. This is because of the 3-D capabilities
that require more memory and **maybe** a 16 bit bus.

Lotus recently released 2 simultaneous versions, 2.2 for XT's,
and 3R3 for 286 and up.

If all you have are XT's then you bought the wrong version.

If you wanted to upgrade and don't need the 3-D capabilities,

then you might be better off running 2.2 on both your XT's and AT's.

I agree with the problem your having with the media types.

In their efforts to cut costs, LOTUS used 1.2M disks, rather than

stacks of 360K or expensive 1.44M disks.

If you want more info, I think PC magazine ran an article which

compared 2.2 and 3r3.

Good Luck and I hope that I could help you.

PSUVM JCS120 Jonathan Shultz

bkd@pc.usl.edu (Dore Brian K) (09/14/90)

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) writes:

>A word of warning and an atonement to lotus.
>The version 3 Install program is my nomination for the worst work
>of the year.  The distribution is on high density media, (in my case 1.2M)
>and gets worse from there.  The files are compressed to save space.
>All 3 copies I opened were missing the card to request 360K disks.  No
>mention of 3.5 drives.  The software requires a AT & about 1 MB, and the
>only computer with all the media resources I needed was a XT.  The install
>program also requires a AT.  Why is beyond me.  The Install program crashed
>time after time, for reason after reason.  Each time ruining or almost
>ruining the 1.2 M disk.  After everything, there isn't any option to install
>all the drivers the first time so just about any change requires the original
>distribution media to change the selected hardware.  What's worse, the
>program MUST use the same drive media as the distribution disks.  If you
>upgrade to 3.5 in drives, you basically won't ever be able to change the
>selected equipment without paying lotus for new disks....
>The whole ordeal was a mess, and I abhore the thought of trying to manage
>multiple copies of this stupid thing on a variety/ mish-mash of patched
>up hardware.

I have installed over 12 copies of Lotus 3.0 in the last 6 months.  I
ordered both directly from Lotus and from mail order distributors and
always received the software on the media I requested.  If you bought or
received the wrong media, it is your own fault.  I have installed the
software on a pair of 286 machines, a 386SX, and the rest 386 clones
of different types and never had the install software fail to work.
The requirements for a 286 or 386 are clearly explained on the package.
Lotus has provided version 2.2 for the XT class machines.  Lastly, the
software already takes up a tremendous amount of disk space on its' own,
I sure wouldn't want to waste hard drive space on drivers for devices I
didn't own.

While I agree that there are cases where it would be convienient to have
all the executables, data, drivers, etc. available in unencrypted
format and available to move to any media so that the software could
be moved between different machines, the software is liscensed to run
on A particular machine and use in this manner would be usually illegal.

If this bothers you, you obviously haven't tried installing DOS 4.0
from the original diskettes have you?  I would have sympathized if you
had complained about THAT.  :^)|

--
Brian K. Dore'                 Internet  : bkd@pc.usl.edu
Programmer /Analyst            U.S. Mail :   PO Box 42770