[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Packard Bell doesn't really exist

dwight@iwarpk0.intel.com (Dwight McDuffee) (09/06/90)

This is posted for a friend.  Please respond to the net or to Duane at
dlundste@ncube.com.

If you now own a Packard Bell computer or if you are considering
purchasing one, read this first.  This is an actual experience.
Hopefully, you won't experience the same.

About a year and a half ago, we purchased a Packard Bell PB-500 XT
computer from Costco Wholesale (a membership wholesale buying club, for
those who are unfamiliar with Costco).  The computer was purchased to do
small business accounting, and proved appropriate for the application.
Costco has always been considered a reputable dealer, always standing
behind the merchandise they sell, and always honoring returns, etc.
Costco's price was the best around, so we didn't hesitate to purchase
the computer there.

Everything went along just fine for about one year (the length of the
manufacturer's warranty), when the monitor up and blinked out.  In a
hurry to get the monitor repaired under warranty, we tried to contact
Packard Bell.  The service number published in the literature that came
with the computer was no longer in service.  The 800 number provided
simply rang and rang, no one ever answered it. Finally, in desperation,
we went back to Costco and related our story to them.  They tried to
reach Packard Bell using the telephone numbers published on the new
equipment that they were still selling, and still couldn't get through.
Costco ended up exchanging the monitor for a new, working one.  I doubt
they ever got their money out of that deal.

***Note that Costco deserves special recognition here for standing beside
   their customers after the sale.  As you can see here, Costco upheld the
   warranty even though the manufacturer could not be reached.  Costco has
   worked with us every step of the way throughout this ordeal.  The
   management at Costco will be getting a letter describing this problem
   and recommending Packard Bell computers be dropped as a product.

The fact that we couldn't reach Packard Bell concerned us, but, since
the computer was now out of warranty, we didn't follow up as we probably
should have.  We should have written a letter to Costco and to Packard
Bell, but we didn't.

Again, everything was fine. . .until about a month ago. We started
getting an error message during power-up (during the RAM self-test) that
said that a portion of RAM was faulty.  This was a serious problem
because after printing the error message, the system thought there was
only 129K of RAM; not nearly enough to run any real applications.
Occasionally, we could power cycle the system and the error would clear
up, but usually we were just plain stuck.

We checked around to various repair shops and found that most could not
turn the repair around fast enough for our needs (remember, this was a
business system, one that was relied upon for basic business functions).
We called the local "factory authorized service" place and they thought
they could have it repaired in a day.  Great!  So we took it there for
repair.  After some hassles with trying to get the computer to fail at
the dealer's shop, they finally determined that a RAM chip was bad, but
they still thought they could have it repaired in time.

Then came the bad news: the RAM chips are not socketed on this
motherboard, and because of "specially manufactured, multi-etch, blah
blah blah boards," the chip could not be replaced by the service shop,
it had to be repaired at the factory.  Still, the news didn't seem all
that bad.  Then they told us that the factory uses a board swap policy,
and that if we paid $325, we would get a new motherboard.  Imagine
paying $325 for an XT motherboard!!!!  We decided to do some checking
around before jumping into this expensive repair.

The obvious thing to do was to call Packard Bell service.  We tried the
originally provided number, and someone answered using some strange
business name.  I said, "Is this Packard Bell?"  She said that they had
a new number, and she gave it to me.  The first number was toll-free,
this number was a toll call.  I called the toll number and a recording
said "Thank you for calling Packard Bell. If you know the 4-digit
extension of the party you are trying to reach, enter it now.  If you
don't know the party's extension, or if you are dialing from a rotary
telphone, please hold the line and an operator will assist you."  Oh,
great!  I held the line.  "Thank you for calling Packard Bell.  If you
know the 4-digit extension of the party . . ."  I hung up.

When I tried the number an hour later (don't forget that these are toll
calls!), I got the same recorded message, but this time someone
answered.  "Thank you for calling Packard Bell."  I said, "Can I speak
to someone in service please?"  "One moment."  Then, another recording:
"Thank you for calling Packard Bell Customer Service.  All available
Customer Service representatives are busy right now, but if you'll hold
the line, your call will be handled in the order in which it was
received."  I held.  Soon an operator answered, "Customer Service
message center."  I said, "Does this mean I should leave a message?"
"Yes."  I said, "Would it be possible for me to speak with someone in
Service?" (annoyed) "Sorry, everyone is busy right now."  I said, "Can I
assume that someone will return my call?" (more annoyed)  She said,
"Yes, someone will call withing the next 8 to 10 business hours."  I
gave up and left my name and number.  Now, that's service.

Well, I'm sure you're dying to know.  Did they call?  NO.  After waiting
the two days (I gave them two days. I thought that was fair.), I decided
we'd better get the repair done so we could resume work back at the
business.  So, I called the dealer and authorized the repair.

I called the toll number at Packard Bell again, and again got the
Customer Service message center.  I told the operator that I had already
left a message and wanted to check in again to find out if anyone was
really going to call. I told her to shuffle my original message to the
top of the heap.  She said she would do her best.  (You can hardly get
upset with the poor operator.  She was doing all she could do!)

A full 4 days later (Friday, August 31), I got a call. "Hello, this is
so and so from Packard Bell."  I was shocked.  I said nothing.  "Did
anyone return your call?"  Finally, I said, "No. I'm glad you called. .
."  He interrupted me, "I'm not from Customer Service.  I'm just calling
to see if you have been helped yet."  I said, "No, I haven't." (I can't
even believe this!) He said, "Someone will call you before the end of
the day.  If not today, by Tuesday, for sure."  By now, I don't even
know what I'm going to say if they ever call back.

COME ON, PACKARD BELL.  Is this a business you're running, or what?!?
The dealer says you're not unresponsive, you're just busy.  Seem's funny
to me that you can meet the demand in your manufacturing facility, but
you can't meet the demand for service.  This is one person who will NEVER
buy another Packard Bell product.

Well, news reader, if you're still with me, maybe you can tell me a
couple of things:

1.  Have you gotten any better response from Packard Bell than I have?
Is this a one-time (or two-time, I guess) problem?  Has anyone gotten
good service from Packard Bell?

2.  Is it true that you can't so much as replace a RAM chip on one of
these boards?  And if it's true, why would anyone design a board that
way?

3.  Anyone out there in netland from Packard Bell who wishes to comment
on this situation?  At this point, I'm hoping you've sold your last
computer.  If you care to comment, send email or call me at (503)629-5088,
8AM to 5PM, Pacific Time.

Thanks for listening.  Any discussion on this topic is appreciated.
Please post to this newsgroup so that everyone can share the news.

Duane S. Lundsten
dlundste@ncube.com

kevdavis@wpi.wpi.edu (Kevin S. Davis) (09/07/90)

Just to let everyone out there know that I personally have not had any problems
with Packard Bell.  I have called there technical service people and they have
been very helpful in figuring problems out.  For the service department, I
really haven't delt with them personally, but a friend of mine had no problems
getting Packard Bell to service his computer while it was still under
the garuntee....

If you would like to have the numbers to the service department that I have,
just email me and I will give them to you.

Kevin Davis
kevdavis@wpi.wpi.edu

lcp@uhifa.ifa.hawaii.edu (Lisa Paton) (09/07/90)

In article <1990Sep6.154721.12322@iwarp.intel.com>,
dwight@iwarpk0.intel.com (Dwight McDuffee) writes:

> This is posted for a friend.  Please respond to the net or to Duane at
> dlundste@ncube.com.
>

> If you now own a Packard Bell computer or if you are considering
> purchasing one, read this first.  This is an actual experience.
> Hopefully, you won't experience the same.

  [stuff deleted]

> 1.  Have you gotten any better response from Packard Bell than I have?
> Is this a one-time (or two-time, I guess) problem?  Has anyone gotten
> good service from Packard Bell?

I'm sorry to tell you this, but at LEAST 50% of the computer related companies
I deal with handle customer service exactly as you've described it.  I don't
expect anything else from them anymore.  I currently maintain a couple of
Packard Bell machines (all out of warrenty) but haven't had your type of
problems, so I can't comment on them.

> Thanks for listening.  Any discussion on this topic is appreciated.
> Please post to this newsgroup so that everyone can share the news.
>
> Duane S. Lundsten
> dlundste@ncube.com

Lisa

The revolution will not be televised
	Lisa Paton				snail: 2680 Woodlawn Dr.
	lcp@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu		       Honolulu, HI 96816

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (09/07/90)

dlundste@ncube.com (Duane S. Lundsten) writes:
>2.  Is it true that you can't so much as replace a RAM chip on one of
>these boards?  And if it's true, why would anyone design a board that
>way?

  Well, its possible to replace chips with extreme care by piggy-backing.
First you carefully cut the chip away from its pins, as close to the chip
body as possible.  This leaves a forest of legs sticking up.  Glue a small
spacer in so that the replacement chip sits high off the board with its pins
firmly against the old pins, with enough space for a clip-on heat sink to be
clipped to the bottom of the old pin during the soldering process. Now
solder the pins together, being carefull to not let too much heat leak down
the old pin into the board...
  You see what I mean about ``extreme care''?

  Of course, if you add too much capacitance, you still lose.

--dave
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave

v116kzmd@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dave Archer) (09/07/90)

>1.  Have you gotten any better response from Packard Bell than I have?
>Is this a one-time (or two-time, I guess) problem?  Has anyone gotten
>good service from Packard Bell?

I've heard from at least more than one person, that Packard Bell isn't the
greatest of companys.  Never anything specific.

>2.  Is it true that you can't so much as replace a RAM chip on one of
>these boards?  And if it's true, why would anyone design a board that
>way?

Anything is possible.  Even if a ram chip is soldered right to the board, it
CAN be removed.  I've done things like this plenty of times.  The problem is
that modern computer motherboards with their extremely thin traces and
multi-multi-layering, are not the type of board that you want to be unsoldering
chips from.  Most likely the repair shop simply didn't want to do it.  Most
likely because if they did, and they screwed up the board, they'd probably be
stuck with it (ie, Packard Bell wouldn't take it back in a motherboard swap).

As for why they'd do it..  Probably has to do with cost.  They might claim it
makes for a more reliable system, but that's fairly silly.  Even the cost issue
is silly, since sockets are not exactly that expensive.  I've never even heard
of a modern clone that had non-socketed ram chips in it.  This is perhaps
another sign of why people keep telling me Packard Bell is not the greatest of
companys.

---
 Note: I do not represent my employer or school, & sometimes not even myself.

  Dave Archer  |  Internet: V116KZND@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU      !
               |    Bitnet: V116KZND@UBVMS.BITNET

hardin@hpindda.cup.hp.com (John Hardin) (09/08/90)

v116kzmd@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dave Archer) writes:

[Re:  question about why a company would solder RAM to motherboard]

> As for why they'd do it..  Probably has to do with cost.  They might claim it
> makes for a more reliable system, but that's fairly silly.  Even the cost issue
> is silly, since sockets are not exactly that expensive.  I've never even heard
> of a modern clone that had non-socketed ram chips in it.  This is perhaps
> another sign of why people keep telling me Packard Bell is not the greatest of
> companys.
----------

I suspect the greatest savings from not using sockets comes from being
able to use auto-insertion machines to assemble the board.  Things may
have changed in recent years, but I believe socketted parts must be hand
inserted.  If you don't use sockets, an auto-insertion machine can
put all the chips on the board and then a wave solder machine can
solder them all in at once.  Cuts labor cost.

John Hardin
Hewlett Packard
hardin@hpindgh.hp.com
----------

battle@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Rick) (09/08/90)

I feel sorry for the person who had the problem with PB.
However, may I suggest that when ANYONE buys a computer for
business (it has to be up all the time or money is lost)
use the individual do some real home work to find out the
realibility of the machine.  In the most recent issue of PC
Magazine realibiliby surveys were taken and the best machines
were documented.

The most reliable = HP.  (I have zip to do with HP so cool the flames)

The best way to look at this situation is this....

Yes we all like to save money but, BUT, if you spend a grand or
two more on a machine are you going to notice that grand or two
a few years later after a correspondingly long period of successful
business activity?   NO, NO ,NO.

The moral is this, don't buy for today, buy for tomorrow and
AMORTIZE.

Again, I am sorry to hear about the PB experience, but you
get what you pay for.

Better luck next time.

dmlkm@cbnewse.att.com (david.e.montalbano) (09/09/90)

I have has a very bad experience with PB also.  I had the same waiting and
"I'll call you back crap."  But,  I had 2 PB computers.  The 1st one,
the motherboard went out after a month.  (I had the 1st 4 months free on site
service so I wasn't too upset, since they said they would come and fix it).
The man came, I must point out the man was from AT&T Paradyne, and he could
not fix it.  He had to take it in.  He tried numerous things.  The reason
why he couldn't fix was because the mother board he brouht new, was
a defect.  Well after getting it fixed, it broke about 3 more times.  Finially,
I wrote the company a letter saying I want a brand new one.  I got a call
and they said "we can have the guy fix yours."  I said no.  Well the next
day a package service came and picked up the computer.  PB paid shipping and
all.  They said I should have the new one within 3 days.

It turned out to take 3 weeks.  The nice thing was they sent me a better
computer.  60meg HD instead of 40.  When I went to use the thing the Hard
drive controller was floating around inside the computer.  I had to plug it
in the expansion slot. Knowing my experiences, I didn't put the computer
back together until i tried it.  It did not work.  The man came and took it
and brougt me back a repaired one.  (He ended up visiting my house 7 or 8
times).  We'll while he was here I tried it.  It worked fine.  After he left
it worked for only 5 minutes and then it would not do a thing.  I ended up
calling PB, and demanding my money back.  They did give it all back.

Now I sit here on my new AT&T 386SX/EL.  I love it.  Haven't had any
problems yet.

bcw@rti.rti.org (Bruce Wright) (09/09/90)

In article <35112@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v116kzmd@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dave Archer) writes:
> (about Packard Bell ...)
> >2.  Is it true that you can't so much as replace a RAM chip on one of
> >these boards?  And if it's true, why would anyone design a board that
> >way?
>
> Anything is possible.  Even if a ram chip is soldered right to the board, it
> CAN be removed.  I've done things like this plenty of times.  The problem is
> that modern computer motherboards with their extremely thin traces and
> multi-multi-layering, are not the type of board that you want to be
> unsoldering chips from. [...]
>
> As for why they'd do it..  Probably has to do with cost.  They might claim it
> makes for a more reliable system, but that's fairly silly.  Even the cost
> issue is silly, since sockets are not exactly that expensive.

The most common problem with socketed chips is that the pins get bent
and don't make good contact with the socket;  it is somewhat less
common that the chip itself goes bad.  So it probably _does_ increase
reliability, but at the cost that if something _does_ go wrong, it's
much harder to fix.  IMHO, socketed chips are better since neither of
these types of failures is all that common, and a bent pin is usually
fairly easy to fix.  Pins don't usually get bent unless someone has
his hands in the machine;  users who have no experience dealing with
chip sockets shouldn't be messing with the machine's innards at that
level.

Cost is certainly a consideration for cheap machines, but the issue is
NOT the cost of the sockets (which as you note is pretty small), but the
cost of putting the RAM chips into the sockets, which requires either
fairly expensive additional equipment or a human assembly line worker.
Directly soldered chips don't have quite as much of a cost problem
because essentially all motherboards are soldered with wave solder
machines, and it's quite automated.  (It's quite true that wave solder
machines are themselves expensive, but they can stamp out boards
pretty fast and reliably, and are considered cheaper than manual
assembly for any significant number of boards.  Chips can be placed
on the boards by automated equipment, but equipment to put chips
into sockets is going to be different and cost more than just putting
the chips directly into the boards).

						Bruce C. Wright

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (09/10/90)

In article <35112@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v116kzmd@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Dave Archer) writes:
[Packard Bell solders in RAM chips rather than using sockets]
>As for why they'd do it..  Probably has to do with cost.  They might claim it
>makes for a more reliable system, but that's fairly silly.  Even the cost issue
>is silly, since sockets are not exactly that expensive.  I've never even heard
>of a modern clone that had non-socketed ram chips in it.  This is perhaps
>another sign of why people keep telling me Packard Bell is not the greatest of
>companys.

There's more at work here than manufacturing vs repair cost tradeoffs.

Soldering in the chips is certainly more reliable, and if the board
manufacturing costs are low enough they might not bother with board repairs
and just scrap the board.

Here are the problems with sockets:

1. Parts can vibrate loose in shipment, causeing DOAs.

2. Heat cycling (from powering up and down every day) can cause parts to
   walk out of the sockets.

3. Unless hermetically sealed (not likely) or gold contacts are used (rare
   these days, and expensive) connections can corrode.

I've seen all three of these happen, and it's not rare at all.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (09/11/90)

In <1990Sep6.154721.12322@iwarp.intel.com> dwight@iwarpk0.intel.com (Dwight McDuffee) writes:

>This is posted for a friend.  Please respond to the net or to Duane at
>dlundste@ncube.com.

>1.  Have you gotten any better response from Packard Bell than I have?
>Is this a one-time (or two-time, I guess) problem?  Has anyone gotten
>good service from Packard Bell?

Well, I've never had any of their equipment fail on me.

I believe there is some sort of partnership between P-B and Tatung; each
sells a complete product line, some of which is made by one company, some
by the other, and some is OEM gear from third parties.  Specifically, I
think the P-B and Tatung AT clones we had were actually manuafctured by
Intel as OEM products, with P-B and Tatung each providing their own BIOS
ROMs and labels.

>2.  Is it true that you can't so much as replace a RAM chip on one of
>these boards?  And if it's true, why would anyone design a board that
>way?

Lots of companies build boards this way.

Consider that a silicon chip is basically a rock with some interesting
electrical properties.  If it's good enough to pass initial burn-in and
testing, the odds that it will fail under normal use are pretty small.

So suppose you're building huge numbers of these boxes, only a small fraction
of which are expected to fail.  How high a failure rate would be needed to
justify the parts cost of the sockets, the asssembly cost of inserting the
chips in the sockets, the indexing cost of maintaining separate spare-parts
inventories of each single type of chip, and the diagnostic cost of tracking
flaws to the individual chip?  (Recall that these latter will be borne by the
manufacturer if the machine fails while under warranty.  Recall too that a
flaw diagnosed as being "in" a particular chip may actually be in a circuit
board trace leading to/from that chip--or in the socket!  Some proportion of
weird failures encountered by users are fixed by re-seating socketted chips...)

So when you ask why "anyone" would design a board that way, "anyone" turns out
to be practically every manufacturer in the entire microelectronics--including
microcomputer--industry.

                                           Dave

dlee@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lee) (09/14/90)

Dwight:  Regarding your troubles with Packard Bell... I was going to
buy a 286 based Packard Bell this past Christmas from Price Club here
in the Washington, DC area. A situation much similar to yours. The cost
and the machines' capability was the best deal around. After much price
comparison, I decided to get the Packard Bell for Christmas. Talking
with the salesmen changed my mind.. he said that returns on Packard Bell
was running about 40% from customers and that the Vendex Headstart unit
was a better deal even though it cost about $200.00 more. Well.. I said
to myself this guy must think I stupid!! After much additional shopping
around I decided the guy was better nice and must know what he's talking
about and since Price club workers are not on commission what's he got
to gain. Eventually I ended up buying the Vendex..

 How this relates to your problem is as follows... My oldest is in college,
second year student who claims he's outgrown the IBM PC Junior (640K ram)
for school and needs a bigger machine..ie. can't run his fancy games due
to lack of VGA color monitor capability. He really only needs word processing
capability for college at this stage. Well, this summer he looked around
for a system and settled on the Packard Bell 386SX unit at Price Club. I
told him to be careful, but he said it was a great deal.. $1900.00 for 2 meg
ram and an 84 meg hard disc, VGA color monitor with 5 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch
high density floppy discs drives. He did buy one last month before he went
back to school. Well as you've said, the toll free help number is useless..
he called several times for minor information, it is a computer recorded
message setup for touch tone telephones. You key in certain codes depending
upon your problem; if you want to talk to a "live" person, call back on
a number where you pay the charges between the hours of 7 to 8  pm EST. My
son decided to ignore this service. The biggest problem he had was with the
color monitor. We returned the monitor twice and the cpu once.. there is
a faint but discernable thin purple line at the edge of the crt screen. It
is not very noticable when the screen is filled with a picture, but is very
annoying when the DOS cursor is the only object on the screen. We finally
decided that it was just the way it is... perhaps software adjustable or
poor graphics board design??? I had heard from some of the computers types
in my office that Packard Bell should be avoid as their computers are made
up of "non-standard" boards... Your notice does not leave me with a feeling
in terms of my son having trouble free use with his Packard Bell...

If you're confident of your own software skills (ie. you wont need help
using the machine) then find a local generic dealer you can trust and
buy his/her no-name clone.

You will save a good piece of money, and most of these clones are just
as reliable as anybody else's machine.  If you have a hardware problem, it's
better to have somebody local to deal with it.

You should be able to find one who will give good guarantees and service.
Most often quick part swap.

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (09/16/90)

I bought the Packard Bell laser printer at Costco (wholesale warehouse)
early this year.  This is a TEC based printer, like the Epson, Mannesman-
Tally, Toshiba, Facit, and many others.

Unlike the other brands, Packard Bell includes an extra meg of RAM in the
printer, for a total of 1.5MB.  So far the printer has performed flawlessly.

I had some questions (support for non-HP font cartridges, PostScript and the
like).  The toll-free auto-menu voice-mail ultra-fancy shmancy system is
indeed worthless.  However, by the time I finally got to a human, I was
told to give my name and number, and a techie would call me back within
48 hours.  By this point I'd given up, but I thought what the heck and
gave them the number.  They did indeed call back, and the fellow who talked
to me (his dime!) was very knowledgeable and helpful.

So, the answer is, it does take a while to get through all the garbage red
tape, but once you do, their people seem to know what they're talking about
pretty well.

my theory.

I can't comment on repair problems, because I haven't had any difficulties
with the laser printer yet (fingers crossed).

Steve
--
| Steve Ward Jr. appears courtesy of       |            stevewa@upvax.UUCP    |
| Univ. of Portland, Portland, OR          |         !tektronix!upvax!stevewa |