[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Propriety of recycling software

jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca (08/15/90)

I recently posted this to c.b.i.p.d and got no response whatsoever...is
there any in this newsgroup, or is my question boring and irrelevant?

Recently I have upgraded several commercial packages--several Borland
products, AskSam, Colorix VGA Paint.  In the past, I've either stored
or thrown out old manuals/disks at upgrade time.  This time, I'm
considering being a little more socially conscious.

My question is, what is the propriety of giving these packages to some
deserving and/or poor student or high school?  While some software I
own specifically mentions destroying or returning old versions after
ugrading (e.g. Duet v1.16--which I probably wouldn't inflict on anyone
anyway), these packages do not.

Also, what could I tell the recipients about support?

Thanks in advance.

John Garland

Bitnet:   jgarland@mun
Internet: jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca

ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) (09/04/90)

In article <125520@kean.ucs.mun.ca> jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:
>Recently I have upgraded several commercial packages....
>
>My question is, what is the propriety of giving these packages to some
>deserving and/or poor student or high school?  While some software I
John, I asked Borland this very question, and the guy I taked to said
" as far as I'm concerned, it's yours to do with as you please"
His choice of words may not indicate Borland policy is so liberal, but
to be on the safe side you can call/write and ask them.
			-ted-
ted@helios.ucsc.edu |"He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the
W (408)459-2110     |Lord require of you but to do justice and to love kindness
H (408)423-2444     |and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 (RSV)

noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) (09/05/90)

In article <6573@darkstar.ucsc.edu> ted@helios.ucsc.edu (Ted Cantrall) writes:
>In article <125520@kean.ucs.mun.ca> jgarland@kean.ucs.mun.ca writes:
>>My question is, what is the propriety of giving these packages to some
>>deserving and/or poor student or high school?  While some software I
>John, I asked Borland this very question, and the guy I taked to said
>" as far as I'm concerned, it's yours to do with as you please"
>His choice of words may not indicate Borland policy is so liberal, but
>to be on the safe side you can call/write and ask them.

I had the same kind of response from Borland.  I was told that if
the new owner of my old package wanted support I needed to write a
letter to Borland indicating that my old copy (with license numbers)
now belongs to the other person.

So, when I upgraded to TC++, I sold (very cheap) my old copy of TC 2.0
and sent in the letter.  The buyer has just got an upgrade coupon
for TC++ from Borland as a result.

--
Chuck Noren
NET:     dinl!noren@ncar.ucar.edu

abrams@cs.columbia.edu (Steven Abrams) (09/08/90)

In article <1724@dinl.mmc.UUCP> noren@dinl.uucp (Charles Noren) writes:
   [. . . On Borland's attitude towards reselling old versions . . .]
   I had the same kind of response from Borland.  I was told that if
   the new owner of my old package wanted support I needed to write a
   letter to Borland indicating that my old copy (with license numbers)
   now belongs to the other person.

   So, when I upgraded to TC++, I sold (very cheap) my old copy of TC 2.0
   and sent in the letter.  The buyer has just got an upgrade coupon
   for TC++ from Borland as a result.

That has got to be the most ridiculous loophole I ever heard of in my
life.  In other words, ANYONE who knows ANYONE who has an old version
of software can essentially get the new version at the Upgrade
price???
Wow, I've got to try this.. :-)

~~~Steve
--
/*************************************************
 *

richw@hplsla.HP.COM (Rich Wilson) (09/11/90)

That has got to be the most ridiculous loophole I ever heard of in my
life.  In other words, ANYONE who knows ANYONE who has an old version
of software can essentially get the new version at the Upgrade
price???
Wow, I've got to try this.. :-)
----------
When I upgraded to turbo C++ pro for $125, I noticed that the mail
order prices were about $20 more. Not a whopping difference.
Rich Wilson                              Internet: richw@hplsla.lsid.HP.COM
Hewlett Packard Company                                 Phone: 206-335-2245
Lake Stevens Instrument Division                          FAX: 206-335-2828

dgil@pa.reuter.COM (Dave Gillett) (09/16/90)

In <12990002@hplsla.HP.COM> richw@hplsla.HP.COM (Rich Wilson) quotes a

>That has got to be the most ridiculous loophole I ever heard of in my
>life.  In other words, ANYONE who knows ANYONE who has an old version
>of software can essentially get the new version at the Upgrade
>price???
>Wow, I've got to try this.. :-)

If Borland wants to treat everyone who is interested enough in running their
software to obtain legitimate access to a copy of it just as if they had gone
out and paid list for it, that's a decision to provide quality service to
their users and completely within their prerogatives.  Sure, it's a loophole,
but closing it would violate the spirit of their "No-Nonsense" approach to
licensing.

If Borland loses money on this and goes belly-up, we can say that it was a bad
choice.  If Borland gains many loyal customers, who have praise for their
products and services, and thus makes a ton of money, we can say that it was
a good choice.  But *in either case*, none of us is in a position to say that
it's a "ridiculous" choice.
                                               Dave