[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] WordPerfect 5.1 & VGA Problem

brada@bardlover.Eng.Sun.COM (Brad Albom) (09/08/90)

Hi there,

My partner is having a little problem with the new
WordPerfect 5.1. He's installed it on his Compaq DeskPro 286
(running DOS 3.3) which has a VGA display. For the most part
it works fine. However, when he tries to select "Print Function"
or "View Option" he gets the message:

Invalid Graphics Driver

Now he's gone through the installation procedure twice
and tells me it doesn't ask about his graphics driver at
all. Is there something he's doing wrong ?

-brad albom
Software Engineering Solutions, Inc
Office:(707)552-5248
Site: (415)336-5999

abrogel@amherst.bitnet (09/10/90)

In article <142060@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, brada@bardlover.Eng.Sun.COM (Brad Albom) writes:
> Hi there,
>
> My partner is having a little problem with the new
> WordPerfect 5.1. He's installed it on his Compaq DeskPro 286
> (running DOS 3.3) which has a VGA display. For the most part
> it works fine. However, when he tries to select "Print Function"
> or "View Option" he gets the message:
>
> Invalid Graphics Driver
>
> Now he's gone through the installation procedure twice
> and tells me it doesn't ask about his graphics driver at
> all. Is there something he's doing wrong ?
>
> -brad albom

Did he try changing the driver specification in the Environment menu?  (If
not here, try the setup menu.)  I found five or six possible drivers here.
Try any and all of them.
				Allen Rogel

userDHAL@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (David Halliwell) (09/11/90)

In article <142060@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, brada@bardlover.Eng.Sun.COM (Brad Albom) writes:
>Hi there,
>
>My partner is having a little problem with the new
>WordPerfect 5.1. He's installed it on his Compaq DeskPro 286
>(running DOS 3.3) which has a VGA display. For the most part
>it works fine. However, when he tries to select "Print Function"
>or "View Option" he gets the message:
>
>Invalid Graphics Driver
>
>Now he's gone through the installation procedure twice
>and tells me it doesn't ask about his graphics driver at
>all. Is there something he's doing wrong ?

Have you tried going into the Setup menu (shift-F1)? There is an option
in there for display selection (graphics and text drivers are considered
seperately), and it may be that an incorrect driver has been specified.
I think WP5.1 starts by trying to autodetect the graphics driver, but
I can't remember for sure. The same graphics driver is required for
equation editing, as well.
What version of a VGA card is it? Compaq's, or a third party?
You are right: the Install program doesn't ask about video adapters or
graphics drivers. In the Setup menu, you also have choices that can be made
about keyboard mapping and screen colour selections. None of these are
presented as options in the Install program.

CHAS@MTUS5.BITNET (Chas. Thompson) (09/18/90)

You need to use the setup function once you are in WP51, accessed by the
Shift-F1 combo.  Choose display then specify the graphics.