[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Please help with memory expansion for 80286 machine

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (09/17/90)

I want to buy an extra 2MB of RAM for my (80286 based) Epson Equity
II+ computer, for as little as possible ($200 or less, if possible).
I want to use the extra memory as a RAM disk, cache, and sometimes
for applications that can use expanded or extended memory directly.

I've seen possible candidates by Boca ($249), AST (Rampage, 229.95
and Six Pack 286, 139.95 with 512K) and Everex (EMS card advertised
for $99.00). If anyone has any recommendations (among these or other
cards) or suggestions, I'd be very grateful.

What are things I should look out for? Would I be able to load TSRS
into the extra memory, or not. Would I need to use some of my
existing RAM, e.g. as a page of EMS memory? Do different boards vary
in this (for example, what are the practical differences, if any,
between a board that implements LIM EMS 4.0 in hardware vs one that
implements it via software?). Any suggestions for articles that
explain the boards available and describe the pros and cons of each
would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Richard Stanton
pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu

PS If anyone who has moved up to a 386 machine has a memory
expansion card lying around that they have no use for, I might be
interested in purchasing it.

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep17.002351.20034@morrow.stanford.edu> LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) writes:
>I want to buy an extra 2MB of RAM for my (80286 based) Epson Equity
>II+ computer, for as little as possible ($200 or less, if possible).
>I want to use the extra memory as a RAM disk, cache, and sometimes
>for applications that can use expanded or extended memory directly.

What I've been suggesting to people wanting to upgrade their memory in
286 boards that only hold one meg is, don't.  You can buy 386sx boards
that hold 4 meg for as little as $350-$400.  Your memory board for the
286 will cost about half that.  So for another $200 or so, you can have
yourself a 386sx that doesn't need a memory board.  You'll get a faster
machine, and of course a 386 processor which will allow you to do quite
abit more with all that extended memory other than just ram disks and
ram caches.

Charles