[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] noise on PC speaker

jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Extremely Gonzoid) (09/18/90)

Hi!
I hope one of you people here has a suggestion to this:
Someone posted the program remac onto comp.binaries.ibm.pc,
and it really works fine, except for one thing. It only works 100%
fine at boot-up time, i.e. if I start it from the autoexec.bat.

If I use the prog at a later stage, even RIGHT AFTER boot-up is
finished, then I get this nasty buzz in my speaker. My suspicion
is, that somwhere inside the circuits, some currents build up, which
then go into the speaker if I use it. It almost drowns out any sound
coming from the speaker.

I know other computers don't have that problem, coz I've tested the
prog on the PS/2's, and it worked fine (without that buzz) at any time.

Any ideas? (capacitors, resistors,...)

 Jan Vilhuber            | Internet: jvilhube@du.edu or jvilhube@[130.253.1.4]
 (The jammin' Bass)      | Bitnet  : jvilhube@DUCAIR
"Drunken Milkman...driving drunk...Family of four,
family no more...milk and blood...blood and milk."  Scatterbrain

fasciano@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Massimo Fasciano) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep18.035045.17966@mercury.cair.du.edu> jvilhube@diana.cair.du.edu (Extremely Gonzoid) writes:
>Hi!
>I hope one of you people here has a suggestion to this:
>Someone posted the program remac onto comp.binaries.ibm.pc,
>and it really works fine, except for one thing. It only works 100%
>fine at boot-up time, i.e. if I start it from the autoexec.bat.
>
>If I use the prog at a later stage, even RIGHT AFTER boot-up is
>finished, then I get this nasty buzz in my speaker. My suspicion
>is, that somwhere inside the circuits, some currents build up, which
>then go into the speaker if I use it. It almost drowns out any sound
>coming from the speaker.
>
>I know other computers don't have that problem, coz I've tested the
>prog on the PS/2's, and it worked fine (without that buzz) at any time.
>
>Any ideas? (capacitors, resistors,...)

Do you have a bus mouse installed? Try removing the driver...

(the bus mouse generates a lot of interrupts and will prevent correct
timing of sounds)

--

Massimo Fasciano (fasciano@iro.umontreal.ca)