[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] software distribution restrictions

amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Allen J Michielsen) (09/13/90)

In article <8000079@m.cs.uiuc.edu> jfernand@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>Recently, I've encountered stick-on labels on software boxes
>indicating distribution restrictions such as:
>"For distribution in the USA and Canada only"......
>
>1. My first question is, what are the reasons behind these distribution
>
>2. If I buy such restricted software in the states, can I take it
>
>3. Do all such software have "export versions?"

   1A. I understand that the reason is because of the different and varied
import, export laws, and copywrite & license restrictions/enforcement laws.
Some countries are very very very bad in some or all of these areas.
  2A.  Guess that would depend on the actual legal reason.  DO you suppose
that if microsoft is legally responsible for taxes if you were to bring your
own ms C into, say brazil, that they would ring you up and ask you to return
your disks for violating the license agreement ?
  3A.  Guess that would depend on the company, the product, and the country
in questions reasons...   I have commonly found that if or when available,
non US licenses are terribly expensive.

al

--
Al. Michielsen, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@rodan.acs.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (Rich Wales) (09/19/90)

In article <8000079@m.cs.uiuc.edu> jfernand@m.cs.uiuc.edu asks about
software packages with warnings limiting distribution to the US and
Canada.

While some instances of this practice may in fact be due to export
restrictions on high-tech stuff, in other cases it is done simply to
discourage "gray-market" sales to other parts of the world.  For
example, Borland has special versions of its products which it dis-
tributes to countries in Europe.

--
-- Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU> // UCLA Computer Science Department
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, CA 90024-1596 // +1 (213) 825-5683