[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Win 3.0, TSR's, and DOS Windows

kid@hpctdkg.HP.COM (Kevin Dietz) (09/06/90)

Hello,

This is a follow up to my previous posting about multiple DOS windows in
Windows 3.0.  My problem was that I loaded a TSR (Command Retriever 2.0)
prior to entering windows.

As usual, an answer to one question raises new questions.  Like is there
any way I can get this to work?  I don't run windows all the time, so I'm
not ready to give up my retriever just yet.  If I had to, I wouldn't mind
uninstalling the retriever prior to entering windows, but I can't figure
out how to make this retriever uninstall itself.  If I did this, I would
like to be able to reload it inside windows.  I tried loading it from a
DOS window, but this caused more problems.

So all of this could put me in the market for a new command line retriever,
one that can at least uninstall itself and work when loaded from within
windows.  Any suggestions?  One thing I really like about my retriever is
it handles aliases, function key assignments, and it will pop up a window
with previously typed commands by pressing Ctrl-W.  I've looked briefly
at some other retrievers out there, but could not find one that I liked as much
as the one I use.

Suggestions from those that have run into this and have a solution would
be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Dietz
kid@hpctdkg.hp.com

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (09/10/90)

You might want to try 4DOS which will swap most of itself out to disk
before entering programs like Windows, leaving you with enough RAM.
An alternative is to usr the TSRCOM utilities to get rid of your
retriever prior to Windows invocation and then restarting it afterwards.

					Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan           woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +
+ othernet                          Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (09/11/90)

In article <2010026@hpctdkg.HP.COM> kid@hpctdkg.HP.COM (Kevin Dietz) writes:

>Hello,
>
>This is a follow up to my previous posting about multiple DOS windows in
>Windows 3.0.  My problem was that I loaded a TSR (Command Retriever 2.0)
>prior to entering windows.
>
>As usual, an answer to one question raises new questions.  Like is there
>any way I can get this to work?  I don't run windows all the time, so I'm
>not ready to give up my retriever just yet.  If I had to, I wouldn't mind
>uninstalling the retriever prior to entering windows, but I can't figure
>out how to make this retriever uninstall itself.  If I did this, I would
>like to be able to reload it inside windows.  I tried loading it from a
>DOS window, but this caused more problems.
>
>So all of this could put me in the market for a new command line retriever,
>one that can at least uninstall itself and work when loaded from within
>windows.  Any suggestions?  One thing I really like about my retriever is
>it handles aliases, function key assignments, and it will pop up a window
>with previously typed commands by pressing Ctrl-W.  I've looked briefly
>at some other retrievers out there, but could not find one that I liked as much
>as the one I use.
>
>Suggestions from those that have run into this and have a solution would
>be greatly appreciated.

Try running 4dos as your command interpreter instead of command.com, and then
chuck your retriever. 4dos has pretty much the same functions, and it co-
exists with windows quite nicely. If setup correctly, each instance of a 4dos
window can share the same environment, saving space. It can also use extended
ot expanded memory (or disk) to swap parts of itself out, and for its
environment.

You can get it as

wuarchive.wustl.edu:mirrors/msdos/sysutl/4dos301a.zip

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

CC65SRAD@MIAMIU.BITNET (09/16/90)

To use TSR's under Windows, you must first load Windows, then run the TSR's.
You can create a batch file called WINSTART.BAT, which will execute as soon
as Windows is loaded.  You can then have the batch file load the TSRs.
I strongly reccommend minimizing the number of things you load before loading
Windows, unless you use a high memory driver like QEMM 386. Each one grabs
a certain amount of your base memory, and hampers Windows performance.
-Chris

MSR113@psuvm.psu.edu (Matthew Starr Richmond) (09/19/90)

In article <90258.165912CC65SRAD@MIAMIU.BITNET>, CC65SRAD@MIAMIU.BITNET says:

>To use TSR's under Windows, you must first load Windows, then run the TSR's.
>You can create a batch file called WINSTART.BAT, which will execute as soon
>as Windows is loaded.  You can then have the batch file load the TSRs.
>I strongly reccommend minimizing the number of things you load before loading
>Windows, unless you use a high memory driver like QEMM 386. Each one grabs
>a certain amount of your base memory, and hampers Windows performance.

I have an AT 286, so this may not even be possible for me..  Does HIMEM.SYS
allow you to access extended memory in Windows?  How about for TSRs?  Does
QEMM have a similar program for 286?  thanks for any info...

-Matt