[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Is CXL package available? Is Mike Smedley alive???

koomen@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Koomen J.) (09/07/90)

A few months ago, my company ordered the CXL package by
Mike Smedley. We didn't get anything back. After a few
retries and angry letters we still don't hear anything
from mr. Smedley. Now our project is entering the testphase
and we only have a small memory model library (which will
certainly not do).

My questions are:
	- Did anyone hear from Mike Smedley in the
	  month June or later?
	- Does someone have a large model CXL library for
	  Microsoft C?
	- Which package is very similar to CXL (though obtainable)?
	- Should one mention the delivery time in the
	  documentation?

Thanks for your reply,

Sjaak.

--
Sjaak Koomen, PTT Research Neher Labs,     J_Koomen@pttrnl.nl
P.O. box 421,                              ...!hp4nl!dnlunx!koomen

sschock@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Schock ) (09/08/90)

I ordered CXL in June and received my copy in just a couple of weeks.
I was in a similar situation to yours; i.e. I had begun development
with CXL, and just when things got rockin' I hit the 64K limit.

I ordered the Zortech version of the library, not Microsoft.  But since
it comes with source code, I was able to create a library for Turbo C++.

I've never actually been in contact with him directly, only though my
purchase request.  I know he has an account on CompuServe.  Perhaps you
could get in contact with him there.

Best of luck, and if I can be of any more help, please don't hesitate
to contact me.

Sincerely,
	--- Evan Mills (evan-mills@uiuc.edu)

ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) (09/10/90)

In article <1402@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> koomen@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Koomen J.) writes:

>A few months ago, my company ordered the CXL package by
>Mike Smedley. We didn't get anything back. After a few
    There was an announcement somewhere on Compuserve that Smedley had sold
CXL to another company.  That company is planning a new release momentarily.
Sorry I can't be more specific- I don't use it.  Snoop around Borland or MS
c language forums and you'll probably find the specifics.
--
Ray Berry  kb7ht  uucp: ...ole!ray CIS: 73407,3152 /* "inquire within" */
Seattle Silicon Corp. 3075 112th Ave NE. Bellevue WA 98004 (206) 828-4422

mikeb@madnix.UUCP (Michael Bloxham) (09/16/90)

In article <1651@ole.UUCP> ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
>In article <1402@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> koomen@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Koomen J.) writes:
>>

>>A few months ago, my company ordered the CXL package by
>>Mike Smedley. We didn't get anything back. After a few
>    There was an announcement somewhere on Compuserve that Smedley had sold
>CXL to another company.  That company is planning a new release momentarily.
>Sorry I can't be more specific- I don't use it.  Snoop around Borland or MS
>c language forums and you'll probably find the specifics.
>--
>Ray Berry  kb7ht  uucp: ...ole!ray CIS: 73407,3152 /* "inquire within" */
>Seattle Silicon Corp. 3075 112th Ave NE. Bellevue WA 98004 (206) 828-4422

This is an article posted to Compuserv by Mike Smedley:

Borland RoundTable
Category 2, Topic 150
Message 1        Fri Aug 17, 1990
M. SMEDKEY [Mike]           at 12:15 CDT

                       A N N O U N C E M E N T

    The CXL C function library, and all rights to market and support it, have
been sold.  CXL has been a pleasure to produce and support in the past, but
many things have come up, resulting in substandard service to CXL users.  The sale was needed to ensure CXL's growth and dominance in the shareware C
library market.

    The new owner of CXL is Chip Rabinowitz and his company Innovative Data
Concepts.  Chip is well-known in the programming community for his work on the
TesSeRact TSR libraries and the Swap Utilities.  He is also very active on
CompuServe, providing invaluable advice to both novice and expert programmers.
Chip is an active member of the Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP).

    All future CXL orders, inquires, and support will be handled by
Innovative Data Concepts.  Their address is 1657 The Fairways, Suite 101,
Jenkintown, PA 19046.  They can be contacted via electronic mail on CompuServe
(70731,20) or MCI mail (315-5415). For tech support call: 215-884-3373; FAX:
215-886-4226; orders: 1-800-926-4551.

    A new version of CXL is due out around September 1st, 1990, and will
contain all enhancements to CXL since version 5.2.  CXL will be renamed to the
"TesSeRact CXL Windowing Library" and will initially appear as version 5.5.

mike

sbarr@ic.sunysb.edu (Sanford L Barr) (09/17/90)

In article <1651@ole.UUCP> ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
>In article <1402@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> koomen@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Koomen J.) writes:
>>

>>A few months ago, my company ordered the CXL package by
>>Mike Smedley. We didn't get anything back. After a few
>    There was an announcement somewhere on Compuserve that Smedley had sold
>CXL to another company.  That company is planning a new release momentarily.
>Sorry I can't be more specific- I don't use it.

If anyone hears anything further, would they pass it on to me?

Thanks.

--
::::::::::::::::: - Sanford L. Barr - ::::::::::::::::::::"I don't mess around
  ___-   ARPA: sbarr@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu    _------  :: with machines,

darryl@lemuria.MV.COM (Darryl Wagoner) (09/17/90)

In article <1651@ole.UUCP> ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
>In article <1402@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> koomen@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Koomen J.) writes:
>>

>>A few months ago, my company ordered the CXL package by
>>Mike Smedley. We didn't get anything back. After a few
>    There was an announcement somewhere on Compuserve that Smedley had sold
>CXL to another company.  That company is planning a new release momentarily.
>Sorry I can't be more specific- I don't use it.  Snoop around Borland or MS
>c language forums and you'll probably find the specifics.

I haven't heard this, I got my copy of CXL about 2 months ago.  It
seems like it took about a month to get it.  I even sent him mail to
his CIS account.  I got the software before I got the mail.  But it is
a great product.

-Darryl

--
Darryl Wagoner		darryl@lemuria.MV.COM or uunet!virgin!lemuria!darryl
12 Oak Hill Road

dpalmans@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Daniel Palmans) (09/17/90)

I am a registered user of CXL 5.1  and I just received a letter from IDC
stating that they bought all the cxl rights from Mike Smedley.

They plan to continue to support and enhance cxl and they actually already
have an update called cxl 5.5.  Price is $50
This includes printed documentation ,source code, and one library.  Additional
lib=$15.
Update to existing CXL is $20  or free if you recived it after aug 1 1990

The address of the company is : IDC (Innovative Data Concepts)
                          1657 The Fairways, Suite 101, Jenkingtown, PA 19046
                          Voice 215-884-3373
                          FAX:  215-886-4225
                          Orders 1-800-926-4551

Daniel

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep16.184558.22158@sbcs.sunysb.edu> sbarr@ic.sunysb.edu (Sanford L Barr) writes:
>In article <1651@ole.UUCP> ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
>>In article <1402@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> koomen@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Koomen J.) writes:
>>>

>>>A few months ago, my company ordered the CXL package by
>>>Mike Smedley. We didn't get anything back. After a few
>>    There was an announcement somewhere on Compuserve that Smedley had sold
>>CXL to another company.  That company is planning a new release momentarily.
>>Sorry I can't be more specific- I don't use it.
>
>If anyone hears anything further, would they pass it on to me?

	I'm not sure this is what you seek, but available via anonymous
ftp from Simtel [26.2.0.74] there is:

	CXL52-1.ZIP and CXL52-2.ZIP in directory, PD1:<MSDOS.C>

described as: "Window/menu/mouse C func lib"

Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

mun@hpcc01.HP.COM (Duane T. Mun) (09/18/90)

Heres something I found in comp.os.msdos.programmer:

In <666@csource.oz.au> david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) writes:

>In <2154@gmuvax2.gmu.edu> mhovan@gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Mike Hovan) writes:
>
>> Also does anyone know what happened to the CXL Tech Support BBS?  I am
>> getting a "The number you have reached....disconnected" message.
>

>The following might help:
>

>Borland RoundTable
>Category 2,  Topic 150
>Message 1         Fri Aug 17, 1990
>M.SMEDLEY [Mike]             at 12:15 CDT
>

>                        A N N O U N C E M E N T
>
>    The CXL C function library, and all rights to market and support it, have
>been sold.  CXL has been a pleasure to produce and support in the past, but
>many things have come up, resulting in substandard service to CXL users.  The
>sale was needed to ensure CXL's growth and dominance in the shareware C
>library market.
>
>    The new owner of CXL is Chip Rabinowitz and his company Innovative Data
>Concepts.  Chip is well-known in the programming community for his work on the
>TesSeRact TSR libraries and the Swap Utilities.  He is also very active on
>CompuServe, providing invaluable advice to both novice and expert programmers.
>Chip is an active member of the Association of Shareware Professionals (ASP).
>
>    All future CXL orders, inquiries, and support will be handled by
>Innovative Data Concepts.  Their address is 1657 The Fairways, Suite 101,
>Jenkintown, PA 19046.  They can be contacted via electronic mail on CompuServe
>(70731,20) or MCI Mail (315-5415). For tech support call: 215-884-3373; FAX:
>215-886-4226; orders: 1-800-926-4551.
>
>    A new version of CXL is due out around September 1st, 1990, and will
>contain all enhancements to CXL since version 5.2.  CXL will be renamed to the
>"TesSeRact CXL Windowing Library" and will initially appear as version 5.5.
>
>--
>
>        Fidonet: 3:632/348   SIGnet: 28:4100/1  Imex: 90:833/387
>              Data:  +61-3-885-7864   Voice: +61-3-826-6711
> Internet/ACSnet: david@csource.oz.au    Uucp: ..!uunet!munnari!csource!david

I called Innovative Data Concepts, they said the new release of CXL (5.5)
will be ready Sept. 20, 1990.

- Duane

dandrews@rtmvax.UUCP (David Andrews) (09/18/90)

From article <1990Sep16.184558.22158@sbcs.sunysb.edu>, by sbarr@ic.sunysb.edu (Sanford L Barr):
> In article <1651@ole.UUCP> ray@ole.UUCP (Ray Berry) writes:
>>In article <1402@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl> koomen@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Koomen J.) writes:
>>>A few months ago, my company ordered the CXL package by

According to some folks on the Borland conference on Bix, the new
owner is someone named Chip Rabinowitz, who can be found at:

  Innovative Data Concepts
  1657 The Fairways
  Suite 101
  Jenkintown, PA  19046

nol2321@dsacg4.dsac.dla.mil (Jim Dunn) (09/20/90)

   Fm: Mike Smedley 71331,2244
   To: All

[...]

   ======================================

   Fm: Chip Rabinowitz(BprogB) 76702,1361
   To: Mike Smedley 71331,2244 (X)

   Innovative Data Concepts is pleased to announce the acquisition of
   Mike Smedley's CXL Library.  We are proud to add such a high-quality
   programmer's tool to your TesSeRact(TM) Development Tools product
   line.

   Version 5.5 of the TesSeRact CXL Windowing Library will be available
   directly from IDC during the first week in September, 1990.  Some
   (but not all) of the new features include:

        Faster window updates
        Automatic support for DV/Windows Virtual Screens
        Multi-field data entry has been greatly enhanced
        Help system is now 'callable'
        More than 20 new user functions
        Calling/Naming conventions standardized

   CXL Version 5.5 will cost $50, which includes printed documentation,
   the complete source code, and one library disk.  Additional library
   disks are available for $15.  Current registered users of CXL will
   receive an upgrade mailing within the next two weeks, offering them
   the new version for $20. Library disks are available for Borland's
   Turbo C 2.0/Turbo C++ 1.0; Microsoft C 5.1; Microsoft C 6.0;
   Microsoft QuickC; and Zortech C++ 2.1. Other compiler support is
   planned for the next few months.

   While we WILL take orders for the product now, we request you wait
   until the product officially is shipped next month.  Call IDC at
   1-215-884-3373 for more information, or 1-800-926-4551 for orders.

   Chip Rabinowitz Owner, Innovative Data Concepts
   E-Mail, Internet address: 76702.1361@compuserve.com