[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] display card question

ctt31684@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (09/20/90)

I have used ibm compatibles for many years.  But recently, I'm interested in
getting them to display full RGB colors (8bit R, 8bitG, 8bit B values or
higher).  I'm not sure if there is a monitor card that can allow me to do that
since I just upgraded my CGA card to EGA 4 years ago, I'm not sure if VGA is
good enough for that purpose.  I would also like to have 1000+x1000+ resolution
on the monitor.  Thanks for any help.

-Ching

jml00458@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jean Michael Liddle) (09/20/90)

In article <46500159@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> ctt31684@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I have used ibm compatibles for many years.  But recently, I'm interested in
>getting them to display full RGB colors (8bit R, 8bitG, 8bit B values or
>higher).  I'm not sure if there is a monitor card that can allow me to do that
>since I just upgraded my CGA card to EGA 4 years ago, I'm not sure if VGA is
>good enough for that purpose.  I would also like to have 1000+x1000+ resolution
>on the monitor.  Thanks for any help.

I saw an ad in Europe for a TIGA standard graphics adapter (about DM 4000.- or
$2500).  It offered 24-bit color (i.e. 8-bit R,G, and B) and resolution of
1200-something x 1024 and was compatible with any multisynch anolog monitor
capable of that resolution (NEC 5D ...).  Unfortunately, I have no idea
what the address is for finding out more about this.  If it's any help,
TIGA stands for Texas Instruments Graphics Adapter.  It was designed for
an AT Bus.

-- Jean

mas35638@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Odin) (09/21/90)

I can't help you with the 8bit stuff, buy IBM will very soon be releasing
XVGA, which does 1024x<something about 800>.  Supposed to be the new
standard...

| Time is a storm in which we are all lost.-W.C. Williams  |  Mike Stangel  |
|         I'd rather have a bottle in front of me          |  mas35638@uxa. |
|                than a frontal lobotomy.                  |  cso.uiuc.edu  |