[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Font-altering program?

gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) (09/10/90)

	Hi.  I have two similar questions:

	1) I'm planning on getting a clone, and the only thing I don't like
about it is the slightly non-standard character set font.  Is there a program
I can get somewhere that will set the font to IBM-standard? (By font I mean
the characters on the screen, not anything to do with printing)

	2) Is there a program I can get somewhere that will allow me to alter
the video fonts?  i.e. to actually change what a given character will look
like.

			Thanks.

---
John Gordon
Internet: gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu        #include <disclaimer.h>
          gordon@cerl.cecer.army.mil       #include <clever_saying.h>
GEnie:    j.gordon14

cjdb@ellis.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep10.043424.12529@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:
>[...]
>	2) Is there a program I can get somewhere that will allow me to alter
>the video fonts?  i.e. to actually change what a given character will look
>like.

Buy a Hercules Graphics Card Plus (Incolor version also available).
Under $200. Then you can redraw the fonts any way you like with the
font editor provided.

--
Bitnet:                 pmrcjdb@uchimvs1
Internet:       cjdb@midway.uchicago.edu

bb16@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Bostater) (09/21/90)

In article <1990Sep20.155403.24887@midway.uchicago.edu> cjdb@ellis.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) writes:
>In article <1990Sep10.043424.12529@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gordon@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (John Gordon) writes:
>>[...]
>>	2) Is there a program I can get somewhere that will allow me to alter
>>the video fonts?  i.e. to actually change what a given character will look
>>like.
>
>Buy a Hercules Graphics Card Plus (Incolor version also available).
>Under $200. Then you can redraw the fonts any way you like with the
>font editor provided.

Or if you already have an EGA or VGA monitor you could try FONTEDIT produced
by Ziff Comunications Inc., PC Magizine, and Micheal Mefford.  It lets you
modify the Text fonts and generates a small com file to load the new fonts
for you.  Very nice program (though I haven't found a lot of use for it :-)

It should be available on simtel or I picked it up from c.b.i.p (I can't
remember which).  The only problem with it is that I don't think it will
support CGA or Hercules cards (but does anybody still have a CGA monitor
besides me?)

--
Scott Bostater      Georgia Tech Research Institute - Radar Systems Analysis
"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him"  -Ps 62.1