[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MATLAB wanted

ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) (09/12/90)

I'm looking for a version of MATLAB that runs on an IBM AT.  If it's not
public domain, is there a similar package available via anonymous ftp?
Thanks.

  ttl@dream.cs.wisc.edu

root@pubit.sublink.ORG (Arrigo Benedetti) (09/15/90)

ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) writes:

>I'm looking for a version of MATLAB that runs on an IBM AT.  If it's not
>public domain, is there a similar package available via anonymous ftp?
>Thanks.

MATLAB is NOT a public domain program.
--
Arrigo Benedetti                      | USENET:  root@pubit.sublink.ORG
Via S.Agata 11, 41100 Modena - Italy  | BANG:    ..!rutgers!deejay!gear!pubit

scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu (scott) (09/21/90)

In article <38@pubit.sublink.ORG> root@pubit.sublink.ORG (Arrigo Benedetti) writes:
>ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) writes:
>
>>I'm looking for a version of MATLAB that runs on an IBM AT.  If it's not
>>public domain, is there a similar package available via anonymous ftp?
>>Thanks.
>
>MATLAB is NOT a public domain program.

Well, yes and no. There *IS* a public domain version of MATLAB. It was installed
on a campus UNIX system for our class to use, and some searching turned up an
identical version for the IBM, also public domain. I have also seen later,
more capable versions of MATLAB which are 100% commercial, but the PD version
DOES exist.

--
---
Scott Coleman                                     scott@blueeyes.kines.uiuc.edu

Wanted: Specs on the control protocol for the Panasonic AG-1960 VCR. If you
know them or know where I may find them, PLEASE email me! Thanks!!
                                                                            ---

sonny@charybdis.harris-atd.com (Bob Davis) (09/23/90)

In article <38@pubit.sublink.ORG> root@pubit.sublink.ORG (Arrigo Benedetti) writes:
>ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) writes:
>
>>I'm looking for a version of MATLAB that runs on an IBM AT.  If it's not
>>public domain, is there a similar package available via anonymous ftp?
>>Thanks.
>
>MATLAB is NOT a public domain program.
>--

I think there is a Public Domain version, or at least a free one. Take a
look at Simtel (anonymous ftp to 26.2.0.74) at the file:

	PD1:<MSDOS.EDUCATION>MATLAB.ARC

I run this on my 286 AT machine.

Bob Davis, UofALA'66   \\ INTERNET : sonny@trantor.harris-atd.com  |  _   _  |
Harris Corporation, ESS \\    UUCP : ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!sonny |_| |_| | |
Advanced Technology Dept.\\ AETHER : K4VNO          |==============|_/\/\/\|_|
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912     \\ VOICE : (407) 727-5886 | I SPEAK ONLY | |_| |_| |
Melbourne, FL 32902        \\  FAX : (407) 729-2537 | FOR MYSELF.  |_________|

jeff@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu (Jeffrey C. Kantor) (09/24/90)

Benedetti) writes:
> >ttl@aura.cs.wisc.edu (Tony Laundrie) writes:
> >
> >>I'm looking for a version of MATLAB that runs on an IBM AT.  If it's
not
> >>public domain, is there a similar package available via anonymous ftp?
> >>Thanks.
> >
> >MATLAB is NOT a public domain program.
>
> Well, yes and no. There *IS* a public domain version of MATLAB. It was
installed
> on a campus UNIX system for our class to use, and some searching turned
up an
> identical version for the IBM, also public domain. I have also seen
later,
> more capable versions of MATLAB which are 100% commercial, but the PD
version
> DOES exist.

MATLAB IS NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN.

There are versions of a Fortran matlab floating around.  These are based
on a code written in the late 70's - early 80's by Cleve Moler.  He
circulated these to his friends at other Universities for teaching purposes.
However, Cleve was careful to never declare the code as 'public domain'.  He
has tried to retain some control over its distribution, but that appears to
be a hard thing to do.

Some of the PC and Mac codes distributed by outlets for public domain
software are apparently based on Moler's fortran sources.  Don't you
think it is sort of contemptable for someone to put together codes and
distribute them without the permission and against the wishes of the
author of the key sources?

Jeff Kantor
Notre Dame