[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Microsoft Systems Journal - an opinion please.

elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) (09/25/90)

I am thinking of subscribing to the MSJ.

I work with the PC at a low level - I want to know lots about the AT bus,
serial ports, parallel ports, SVGA cards and other undocumented goodies.
I have little interest in Windows, OS/2 and business software.

Should I subscribe ?

Henry.

ajayshah@aludra.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (09/25/90)

In article <6470@castle.ed.ac.uk> elee24@castle.ed.ac.uk (H Bruce) writes:
>I am thinking of subscribing to the MSJ.
>I work with the PC at a low level - I want to know lots about the AT bus,
>serial ports, parallel ports, SVGA cards and other undocumented goodies.
MSJ is certainly not the place.  I think _Dr_Dobbs_Journal_ is
the closest thing there is.  I think regularly reading the net is
better.

>I have little interest in Windows, OS/2 and business software.
MSJ is heavily into such stuff.  What is more, MSJ is steeped
with "Microsoft's Vision", which is basically the statement that
"May Microsoft Make As Much Money As Possible".  The contents of
MSJ slavishly reflect the official tunes of Microsoft.  E.g.,
right now, it'll be full of Windoze given the "Kill OS/2"
action-plan underway.

Basically, MSJ is a faithful reflection of Microsoft, and both suck!

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.