[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] switch settings on the motherboard of an IBM-PC XT

dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) (09/25/90)

I purchased a used IBM XT Model 5160. I have no docs, and I
need the switch settings on the motherboard and what they are used for.
In perticular, monitor settings. I have been having trouble getting
my mono card working on the darn thing!

Thanks in advance.

--
Dan Troxel @ Handwriting Research Corporation                  WK 1-602-957-8870
Camelback Corporate Center  2821 E. Camelback Road  Suite 600  Phoenix, AZ 85016

robin@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Robin Amano) (09/25/90)

In article <201647@hrc.UUCP> dan@hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:

>I purchased a used IBM XT Model 5160. I have no docs, and I
>need the switch settings on the motherboard and what they are used for.
>In perticular, monitor settings. I have been having trouble getting
>my mono card working on the darn thing!

PC XT  256K-640K  SYSTEM BOARD

Switch                   Function

 1                         normal operation; always off
 2               ON        without coprocessor
                 OFF       with coprocessor
 3/4             ON/ON     256K
                 OFF/ON    512K
                 OFF/OFF   640K
 5/6             ON/ON     IBM EGA (alone or w/another adapter) or
                                   no adapter at all
                 OFF/ON    IBM  CGA  40X25
                 ON/OFF    IBM  CGA  80X25
                 OFF/OFF   IBM MONOCHROME & printer adapter or
                           Monochrome & printer adapter + CGA together
 7/8             ON/ON     1 Disk Drive
                 OFF/ON    2 Disk Drives

PC XT  64K-256K  SYSTEM BOARD

 3/4             ON/ON     64K