[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Can't boot off my hard drive

jillj@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Jill Jacomine) (09/26/90)

All  of  the sudden I can't seem to boot off my hard drive, when I try I
get the message:

	Non-System disk or disk error
	Replace and strike any key when ready.

I have no trouble at all booting off a floppy, and can attach to my hard
drive and access all the files.

Everything   looks   good,  the  hidden  system  files  are  there,  the
command.com is there (I even copied the copy of command.com from my hard
drive, to the floppy I was booting from to see if it was corrupt, but it
worked fine).

A  little background, I have a Compaq 286, running DOS 3.3.  A couple of
days  ago I installed Microsoft Window/286 (v2.11)  and  the  Window/286
Software  Development Kit, I don't think this has anything to do with it
though, because the problem started a day or two after I started playing
around with Windows.

I  tried  running chkdsk, hoping that if would fix things, but it didn't
help.  Is my next step to do a backup and reformat my hard drive, or  is
there something else I can do that may take care of this problem.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, because I really don't want to reformat.

Thanks,

Jill Jacomine.
Jill Jacomine (jill@brspyr1.BRS.COM)
UUCP:
BRS Software Products
Latham, NY

browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems) (09/27/90)

In article <6985@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, jillj@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Jill Jacomine) writes:
> All  of  the sudden I can't seem to boot off my hard drive, when I try I
> get the message:
>
> 	Non-System disk or disk error
> 	Replace and strike any key when ready.
>
> I have no trouble at all booting off a floppy, and can attach to my hard
> drive and access all the files.

Okay, so yopu know that your disk is basically okay.  Good news!

> Everything   looks   good,  the  hidden  system  files  are  there,  the
> command.com is there (I even copied the copy of command.com from my hard
> drive, to the floppy I was booting from to see if it was corrupt, but it
> worked fine).

My guess is that you're on the right track, but it's the two hidden files
that got scrogged (or one of them).  Try this:  put your original DOS
diskette (write protected, of course) in drive A: and boot your system.
Then type the command
     SYS C:
(I assume C: is the hard disk you're talking about.)  Then remove the
diskette and boot again.  You should be okay.

> I  tried  running chkdsk, hoping that if would fix things, but it didn't
> help.  Is my next step to do a backup and reformat my hard drive, or  is
> there something else I can do that may take care of this problem.

CHKDSK is useful for only one thing: putting lost clusters into files so
that you can DEL the files and make the space available for new files.  If
you have overwritten [part of] a file, CHKDSK is no help.  (Actually,
none of the utilities can help either--except of course restoring from
a backup copy.)

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.      (216) 371-0043
 email: browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com
Disclaimer:   Your mileage may vary.  Close cover before striking.   Void
where taxed, regulated, licensed, or prohibited by law. I am not a crook.

ching@brahms.amd.com (Mike Ching) (09/27/90)

In article <6985@brspyr1.BRS.Com> jillj@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Jill Jacomine) writes:

>All  of  the sudden I can't seem to boot off my hard drive, when I try I
>get the message:
>
>	Non-System disk or disk error
>	Replace and strike any key when ready.

You might check to see if the partition is still active with fdisk.

Mike Ching

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (09/28/90)

In article <1140.2700dc30@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com> browns@iccgcc.decnet.ab.com (Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems) writes:
>In article <6985@brspyr1.BRS.Com>, jillj@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Jill Jacomine) writes:
>diskette (write protected, of course) in drive A: and boot your system.
>Then type the command
>     SYS C:
>(I assume C: is the hard disk you're talking about.)  Then remove the
>diskette and boot again.  You should be okay.

In many cases, SYS C: won't "take" except to a virgin drive.
I don't know exactly why this happens and I don't care since Nortons
will overcome the problem and apply a new boot block, system files, etc.
I have used it several times for this purpose in exactly the situation
that the original poster described (won't boot but all files appear OK).
My recommendation is to low-level format it after the fix is applied.
Loss of a boot block or system files indicates a possible time bomb
waiting to go off.  Spinrite or Optune works well for this purpose
without requiring backup and restore.
Regardless of what the user tries, a complete backup would be in
order FIRST.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965