[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Formatting 16bit FAT on small HDisk.

ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) (09/19/90)

Does anybody know of a program that will format a small harddisk
partition with a 16bit FAT?  My Compaq 386/20 Portable has a
100meg HD with 4 partitions, the 4th being about 14meg.  I'm getting
a bit tired of seeing a directory structure that takes up about
7 megs on the big partitions take up almost the whole disk on the
small partition.  Unfortunately, the formatter that comes with the
Compaq automatically switches to the 12bit FAT when partitioning
a HD below a certain size.

Can anybody point me at a better formatter (or tell me how to patch
the one I've got to drop the changeover point between 12 and 16bit
FATs to less than 10meg)?

Thanks....Lance

--
Lance T. Franklin            +----------------------------------------------+
(ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org)   | "I'll hit you with this here lollipop!"      |

ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) (09/27/90)

(I'm reposting this, because I don't think the first post got out...ah,
 the joys of administering bnews!)

mlord@bwdls58.bnr.ca (Mark Lord) (09/29/90)

In article <173@ncmicro.lonestar.org> ltf@ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) writes:
>Does anybody know of a program that will format a small harddisk
>partition with a 16bit FAT?  My Compaq 386/20 Portable has a
>100meg HD with 4 partitions, the 4th being about 14meg.  I'm getting
>a bit tired of seeing a directory structure that takes up about
>7 megs on the big partitions take up almost the whole disk on the
>small partition.  Unfortunately, the formatter that comes with the
>Compaq automatically switches to the 12bit FAT when partitioning
>a HD below a certain size.
>
>Can anybody point me at a better formatter (or tell me how to patch
>the one I've got to drop the changeover point between 12 and 16bit
>FATs to less than 10meg)?

Well, actually I do recall seeing your first post as well.

Perhaps you've received no replies because, to me at least, it is not
entirely clear what you want to do.  Making a 16-bit FAT will take up
MORE room than a 12-bit FAT, yet you are asking for a way to force use
of a 16-bit FAT to *save space* ??

Obviously one or both of us is confused..

In any case, SPEDSTOR can do what you want, and it is generally useful
to have around anyway.  A very useful low/medium level disk utility.
--
| ..uunet!bnrgate!mlord%bmerh724 | Climb Free Or Die (NH) |