[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Need Remote Diskette Drive At 50 Feet.

davecarr@umd5.umd.edu (David A. Carr) (09/28/90)

I would like to solicit some help from the net for an application which is
giving me some trouble.  I am outfitting a classroom 386s on an AT bus running
DOS and Windows 3.  For cooling reasons the machines are being moved out of
the classroom and into a separate room.  This means that the floppy drives are
not accessible to the students.  In order to remedy this, I am looking for a
way to run a remote floppy at distances of up to 50 feet.  So far, I have
tested two products.  The first was serial and worked at 50 feet, but was very
slow.  The other was fast enough, but used the parallel port and wouldn't work
at 50 feet.  Both had glitches when running under Windows.

Does anyone out there know of a way to run a remote disk drive at 50' that
will have at least 1/4 the performance of a regular floppy drive.

Thanks in advance.

David Carr (davecarr@cs.umd.edu)

kabra437@pallas.athenanet.com (Ken Abrams) (09/29/90)

In article <7365@umd5.umd.edu> davecarr@umd5.umd.edu (David A. Carr) writes:
>I would like to solicit some help from the net for an application which is
>giving me some trouble.  I am outfitting a classroom 386s on an AT bus running
>DOS and Windows 3.  For cooling reasons the machines are being moved out of
>the classroom and into a separate room.

I know this won't be a helpful comment but I just couldn't resist.......
With most desk tops put together in a minimum configuration, the monitor
dissipates almost as much heat as the rest of the works.  Are you going to
buy the users opera glasses so they can see the monitor screens from 50
feet away too??  Seems to me like moving the CPUs is the wrong solution to
the problem.  By the time you get done overcoming the shortcomings of this
arrangement, the total cost would probably be more than a proper upgrade of
the cooling would cost.  In some cases, a couple of small fans work nicely.

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437@athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965