[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] windows 3.0 and com3:

mikel@pyrps5.pyramid.com (Mike Lipsie) (09/30/90)

In article <26762@mimsy.umd.edu> callahan@mimsy.umd.edu (Jack Callahan) writes:
>I have an internal modem (Patriot 2400) configured as COM3:
>but I am having trouble using it in Windows 3.0 in 386 enhanced
>mode.  I works fine in standard mode as COM3:.  Is there a
>line in SYSTEM.INI or TERMINAL.INI or WIN.INI that I have to
>include to get COM3 to work?  Thanks much for any answers!

Yep.  Microsoft had to guess where COM3 and COM4 are since there is
no standard.  They made a lousy guess.  But they provide a way for
you to correct their mistake.

In SYSTEM.INI in the [386Enh] section, add

	Com3Base=03E8h

(or whatever address your modem uses, see its documentation).
For more information see the SYSINIn.TXT files.

-----------
Mike Lipsie                               mikel@pyramid.com
Pyramid Technology Corp, Mountain View, CA  +1 415 335 8657
"Toto kansasoseum non est cognito" -- Phil Frank

tcs@router.jhuapl.edu (10/01/90)

RE: Patriot on Com3 (Com1/Com4).

I just saw a patch on a local BBS about this. I seem to recall that it said
something about there needing to be a patch done to the comm.drv(?) since it's
looking only for Com1/Com2. If noone else suggests something, I'll bring it
the docs tomorrow and post it.

Carl Schelin
tcs@router.jhuapl.edu