[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] REAL PROGRAMMERS

rhys@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Rhys Weatherley) (09/29/90)

Well, since there were a substantial number of requests from
comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc readers, here is a list of what does and doesn't
constitute a real programmer :-).  I'm also posting this to comp.misc.

This is the text of a sheet of paper I have pasted to my wall.  It is in no
way my creation (it's a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy), and so
please send complaints on a one way trip to the bin in the corner (trash can
for Americans :-).

Enjoy!

Rhys.

P.S. I have more where this came from, but I'm 5 weeks away from end of
year exams and I need to catch up :-(.

				REAL PROGRAMMERS
				----------------

- Real programmers are a figment of the imagination.
- Real programmers detest candy-ass architects.  Candy-ass architects won't
  allow Execute instructions to address another Execute.  Real programmers
  despise petty restrictions.
- Real programmers disdain structured programming.  Structured programming
  is for compulsive neurotics who were prematurely toilet trained.  They
  wear neckties and carefully line up sharp pencils on an otherwise clean desk.
- Real programmers don't believe in schedules.  Planners make up schedules.
  Managers firm up schedules.  Frightened coders strive to meet schedules.
  Real programmers ignore schedules.
- Real programmers don't bring paper bag lunches.  If the vending machine
  sells it, they eat it.  If the vending machine doesn't sell it, they don't
  eat it.  Vending machines don't sell quiche.
- Real programmers don't comment their code.  If it was hard to write, it
  should be hard to understand.
- Real programmers don't document.  Documentation is for simps who can't read
  the listings of the object deck.
- Real programmers don't draw flowcharts.  Cavemen drew flowcharts, and look
  how much good it did them.
- Real programmers don't drive cars, or any other complicated mechanical
  contrivance.  Walking or bicycling are okay.  If a real programmer's bicycle
  breaks down he has a technician fix it.
- Real programmers don't play tennis, or any other sport which requires you
  to change clothes.  Mountain climbing is okay, and real programmers wear
  their climbing boots to work in case a mountain should suddenly spring up in
  the middle of the machine room.
- Real programmers don't write applications programs, they program right down
  to the BARE METAL.  Applications programming is for feebs who can't do
  systems programming.
- Real programmers don't write in APL, unless the whole program can be written
  in one line.
- Real programmers don't write in BASIC.  Actually no programmers write in
  BASIC after the age of twelve.
- Real programmers don't write in COBOL.  COBOL is for wimpy applications
  programmers.
- Real programmers don't write in FORTRAN.  FORTRAN is for pipe stress freaks
  and crystallography weenies.
- Real programmers don't write in LISP.  Only faggot programs contain more
  parentheses than actual code.
- Real programmers don't write in PASCAL, or BLISS, or ADA, or any of those
  pinky computer science languages.  Strong typing is for people with weak
  memories.
- Real programmers don't write in PL/I.  PL/I is for gutless people who can't
  decide whether they want COBOL or FORTRAN.
- Real programmers don't write specs - users should consider themselves lucky
  to get any programs at all, and take what they get.
- Real programmers have no use for managers.  Managers are a necessary evil.
  They exist only to deal with personnel bozos, bean counters, senior
  planners, and other mental defectives.
- Real programmers like vending machine popcorn.  Coders pop it in the
  microwave oven.  Real programmers use the heat from the CPU.  They can tell
  which jobs are running from the rate of popping.
- Real programmers never grow old.  They suffer from burnouts, monumental
  crashes, or bugs in their DNA.
- Real programmers never work 9 to 5.  If any real programmers are around at
  9 am, it's because they were up all night.
- Real programmers scorn floating point arithmetic.  The decimal point was
  invented for pansy bed-wetters who are unable to think big.

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (09/29/90)

In article <5041@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> rhys@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au writes:

>Well, since there were a substantial number of requests from
>comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc readers, here is a list of what does and doesn't
>constitute a real programmer :-).  I'm also posting this to comp.misc.

:

The only thing that is true real programming is writing executable
code directly with a binary editor.  Every other definition is for
wipms only.  :-) :-) :-)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

zmls04@trc.amoco.com (Martin L. Smith) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep29.100526.2667@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) writes:

   The only thing that is true real programming is writing executable
   code directly with a binary editor.  Every other definition is for
   wipms only.  :-) :-) :-)

IMHO Prof Salmi is being unreasonable.  Clearly anyone who could pass the
traditional guru exam of writing a device driver by typing directly into
cc is a real programmer (actually I think the use of a binary <<editor>>
weakens Prof. Salmi's example).  I, as an example, am constructing this
message by rubbing the TXD line on my modem against a battery.
--

   Martin L. Smith             Amoco Research Center
                               P.O. Box 3385

rhys@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Rhys Weatherley) (09/30/90)

zmls04@trc.amoco.com (Martin L. Smith) writes:

>                                        Clearly anyone who could pass the
>traditional guru exam of writing a device driver by typing directly into
>cc is a real programmer (actually I think the use of a binary <<editor>>
>weakens Prof. Salmi's example).  I, as an example, am constructing this
>message by rubbing the TXD line on my modem against a battery.

cc!!  How non-guru-ish using a high-level language!  Real gurus (and real
programmers) use "cat >device-program-name" :-).

Rhys.

+===============================+==============================+
||  Rhys Weatherley             |  University of Queensland,  ||
||  rhys@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au  |  Australia.  G'day!!        ||

In article <5041@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> rhys@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au writes:
> - Real programmers don't bring paper bag lunches.  If the vending machine
>   sells it, they eat it.  If the vending machine doesn't sell it, they don't
>   eat it.  Vending machines don't sell quiche.

Oh my god. Our vending machines *do* sell quiche.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`