[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] What's a good C compiler?

raven@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Joanne Rosenshein) (09/30/90)

What is a good C compiler for the IBM?
It has to be reasonably priced...

thanks in advance,

joanne

|      Never read the first book in a series when the other books         |
|         haven't been published or even written by the author            |

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russell Poffenberger) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep29.204827.27654@max.physics.sunysb.edu> raven@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Joanne Rosenshein) writes:
>What is a good C compiler for the IBM?
>It has to be reasonably priced...
>
>thanks in advance,

Without getting flamed, IMHO, the best C compiler for the money is Borlands
Turbo C++. It is reasonably priced (you can get it for about $100), supports
ANSI C as well as AT&T C++ 2.0 and the Integrated environment is not bad.

If you want windows programming capability (Create windows apps), currently
TC++ won't do it, but if that is not a concern. TC++ is the best. MSC is $500
retail, ~$350 best mail order price, they don't have C++. Zortech C++ may be
better than Turbo C++, but is ~$300 (I think), although they support windows.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254