[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] Need info on voice synthesizers

depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) (09/26/90)

I need to find out manufacturers, specs, and opinions on voice synthesizer
boards for PC's.  I've played around with some software-only packages,
but none of them produce the sound quality I need.  I'd like to
find a board that comes with some sort of library routines, preferably
C, for controlling the board, or as a last resort, some sort of
TSR driver.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

								--- Jeff
Jeff DePolo  N3HBZ             Twisted Pair: (215) 386-7199
depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu    RF: 146.685- 442.70+ 144.455s (Philadelphia)
University of Pennsylvania     Carrier Pigeon: 420 S. 42nd St. Phila PA 19104

kilmer@hq.af.mil (09/27/90)

In <30133@netnews.upenn.edu> depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) writes:

>I need to find out manufacturers, specs, and opinions on voice synthesizer
>boards for PC's.  I've played around with some software-only packages,
>but none of them produce the sound quality I need.  I'd like to
>find a board that comes with some sort of library routines, preferably
>C, for controlling the board, or as a last resort, some sort of
>TSR driver.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

								--- Jeff
I just came to this group to ask the same question.  There is one
voice box that creates GREAT voice, a DEC DECTalk box, but it's
$4,000.00+, a little steep for what I would like to do with it.
If any else out there has any good ideas, or experience in this
arena, please post a follow up article

Thanks --

Richard
--
.-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
|  Richard Kilmer                           Kilmer@Opsnet-Pentagon.af.mil |

kxb@math.ksu.edu (Karl Buck) (09/30/90)

kilmer@hq.af.mil writes:

>In <30133@netnews.upenn.edu> depolo@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jeff DePolo) writes:

>>I need to find out manufacturers, specs, and opinions on voice synthesizer
>>boards for PC's.  I've played around with some software-only packages,
[.......]

>I just came to this group to ask the same question.  There is one
>voice box that creates GREAT voice, a DEC DECTalk box, but it's
>$4,000.00+, a little steep for what I would like to do with it.
>If any else out there has any good ideas, or experience in this
>arena, please post a follow up article

I just received my software upgrade for my Sound Blaster board from
Creative Labs which now supports text-to-speach on its voice channel.
There is an optional programer's toolkit for either basic or C; both
of which I Know nothing about. The address follows:

	Creative Labs
	131 South Maple Avenue #6
	South San Francisco CA 94080

	(408)378-3689

The Sound Blaster sells for about $159 mail order. This could be a very
inexpensive alternative if it meets your needs.

--
 731 Moro             popeye@matt.ksu.ksu.edu   "Industrial Engineers do
 Manhattan, KS 66502  popeye@ksuvm.ksu.edu       it with Therbligs."

TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) (10/01/90)

Well, if anyone is looking to add speech to the PC, there is a product
available from Heathkit which sells for (I think) about $90.  This is
a card which takes up a slot in the machine, and from looking at the
picture of the catalog, it has two RCA plugs on the back.  The ad says
you can use their software to make real words, or program the allophones
yourself.  Why there are *two* RCA plugs, I have no idea.  I suppose you
could call them for details.  Sorry, but I cannot find my catalog at
this time, so if you want the phone number, call 1-313-555-1212.  The
place is called Heathkit, and it's in Benton Harbor, Michigan.

Thomas Dwyer III                        Email: tomiii@mtu.edu
Network Programmer                             tomiii@mtus5.BITNET
Computing Technology Services           Voice: (906) 487-2110
Michigan Technological University       Fax:   (906) 487-2787

chao@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Chia-Chi Chao) (10/02/90)

In article <90273.235447TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET> TOMIII@MTUS5.BITNET (Thomas Dwyer III) writes:
>Well, if anyone is looking to add speech to the PC, there is a product
>available from Heathkit which sells for (I think) about $90.  This is
>a card which takes up a slot in the machine, and from looking at the
>picture of the catalog, it has two RCA plugs on the back.  The ad says
>you can use their software to make real words, or program the allophones
>yourself.  Why there are *two* RCA plugs, I have no idea.  I suppose you

One is amplified to drive a speaker directly.  The other one is for hooking up
to your own amplifier.
--

Chia-Chi Chao     chao@cs.ucla.edu   ..!ucbvax!cs.ucla.edu!chao