[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] AST SixPack

1h1a0m@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/02/90)

In article <238@motto.UUCP>, andrew@motto.UUCP (Andrew Walduck) writes:

> Here's something for the archaic hardware types out there...
>
> I recently acquired an old (4.77MHZ) XT. Inside is an AST Sixpack card.
> Does anyone have documentation for it?  IE: the jumper settings...
> how to read/write the clock...and maybe a list of the six functions it
> performs...I know it is memory expansion, and a clock/calendar...but
> what else??

I have an IBM PC with a SixPackPlus in it.

Features:

- memory expansion upgradeable to the maximum addressable user memory
  in the IBM PC, PC-XT, Portable PC, and 3270 PC systems.
- Real-time Clock-Calendar with battery backup.
- RS-232 asynchronous serial communications port.
- parallel printer port.
- optional game adapter port.

Clock:

 To read/set the clock, you'll need ASTCLOCK.COM, the real-time,
 clock-calendar program.  Should be put in your autoexec.bat file.
 You can get it through AST's BBS in CA.  There's also a bunch of
 utility programs which I think you can also get from their BBS (I
 don't have them).

Now on to the switch settings...

SixPakPlus Starting Memory Address-  Switch 1

starting address  S1  S2  S3   Max RAM on 6-pack
----------------  --- --- ---  -----------------

 64K(:10000)      off off off   384K
128K(:20000)      off off on    384K
192K(:30000)      off on  off   384K
256K(:40000)      off on  on    384K
320K(:50000)      on  off off   320K
384K(:60000)      on  off on    256K
448K(:70000)      on  on  off   192K
512K(:80000)      on  on  on    128K

Amount of memory installed

Banks installed   S4  S5  S6   Total 6-pack RAM
---------------   --- --- ---  ----------------

none              off off off     0K
1                 off off on     64K
2(1-2)            off on  off   128K
3(1-3)            off on  on    192K
4(1-4)            on  off off   256K
5(1-5)            on  off on    320K
6(1-6)            on  on  off   384K

Position 7 of switch 1 can be on or off

Parity check:   s-8 on  = parity enabled
                s-8 off = parity disabled

Remeber to replace the lithium battery if dead.  This'll get you going.
The AST BBS in CA has more information or you may send for a manual ($$$
I guess).

Tony Montes