[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] 256 color gif scaling w/o VGA

CXS128@psuvm.psu.edu (10/02/90)

  I have the need for some msdos software which will take a gif file of
640*480*256 or other large sizes and convert it to a file of 320*200*256.
I have seen some software to do this but it requires a vga board to do so.
When I have these files converted they will be viewed on a different machine so
 I only need the basic rescaling program, to be run on a very small pc.

                                            John T.

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (10/03/90)

In article <90274.163809CXS128@psuvm.psu.edu> CXS128@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>  I have the need for some msdos software which will take a gif file of
>640*480*256 or other large sizes and convert it to a file of 320*200*256.
>I have seen some software to do this but it requires a vga board to do so.
>When I have these files converted they will be viewed on a different machine so
> I only need the basic rescaling program, to be run on a very small pc.

How small is small?  PicLab, by Daniel Crocker and the Stone Soup Group, is
a DOS image manipulation package that imports and exports GIFs, but works in
24-bit color.  Since very few displays actually support 24-bit color (and
the version I have, 1.82, doesn't support any that do), all manipulation is
display-independent.  However, you will need 2 or 3 megs of free hard disk
space to run it, as it uses files for its temporary storage.  I belive
Simtel has it, but I also think it only has version 1.5 something.
Wuarchive has the latest version.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu