[net.ham-radio] new group net.ham-radio.packet -- history/apology/future

jak@mtunh.UUCP (Jim Kutsch) (06/14/85)

History-- About a month ago  Clifford@mit-eddie  posted  an  article  in
net.ham-radio  which  among  other  things told of the Arpa mailing list
"packet-radio".  Several packeteers in my local area were interested  in
reading  the  list.   A  brief  discussion  in newsgroup "net.ham-radio"
discussed the possibility of gatewaying  the  "packet-radio"  list  into
"net.ham-radio".    However,   the  Arpa  list  "info-hams"  is  already
exchanged with "net.ham-radio".

There are good reasons to keep the two separate.  About three weeks ago,
I  posted  an  article  asking  for  comments  on the proposal to create
"net.ham-radio.packet" as a subgroup and connect it  with  the  "packet-
radio" list.  In that article I indicated I would create the group after
a suitable waiting period if no one  objected.   Unfortunately,  at  the
time  mtunh  was  having  some  news distribution problems.  Among other
things, the proposal did not make it to "net.news.group".  In  fact,  it
might  not  have  made  it  very far off mtunh at all, even in "net.ham-
radio".

Last week, based on no negative replies and  several  positive  ones,  I
created  the  "net.ham-radio.packet"  group.   I  have  received several
flames since then.

Explanation/Apology-- I was not trying to make a decision and  force  it
on  the  entire  net!  I am not a newcomer to Usenet (In fact, I created
"net.ham-radio" in the first place over 4 years ago!), and know the  net
procedures.  I am sorry that we had news distribution problems here.

Solution-- So, let's try again ...  Other than the flames on  procedural
issues,  does  anyone  have  any  real  problems  with  the  creation of
net.ham-radio.packet?  I am already on the mailing list and  am  getting
the  info,  but several others around here would like to read it too.  I
did get several positive replies (from those who saw my first  posting).
It  seems  (to me) that there is sufficient interest for a newsgroup and
it should be a subgroup under net.ham-radio.  I guess at this point  the
new  group  exists on some sites, but I know from the flames that others
have removed it.  Let's get the useless  exchange  on  proper  etiquitte
etc.  over with and get to the technical content of packet radio.

What say? Let's shoot for a JUly 15 decision  of  "net.ham-radio.packet"
-- to be or not to be???

Jim Kutsch  ihnp4!mtunh!jak or ihnp4!mtunh!ky2d!jak
ATTIS Holmdel, NJ  (201) 834-2092

louie@umd5.UUCP (06/15/85)

Here's one vote YES; create net.ham-radio.packet for the discussion of
amateur packet radio and gateway to the packet-radio@mit-eddie mailing
list.  Let's get this done and over with.

--
Louis A. Mamakos WA3YMH   University of Maryland, Computer Science Center
 Internet: louie@umd5.arpa

glc@akgua.UUCP (G.L. Cleveland [Lindsay]) (06/15/85)

Poor Jim!  He tries to do it "by the rules" and what happens...
Murphy Strikes!!  I hope this time the "word" gets sent to all
sites in the prescribed manner.

Anyway...

>Solution-- So, let's try again ...  Other than the flames on  procedural
>issues,  does  anyone  have  any  real  problems  with  the  creation of
>net.ham-radio.packet?  I am already on the mailing list and  am  getting
>the  info,  but several others around here would like to read it too.  I
>did get several positive replies (from those who saw my first  posting).
>It  seems  (to me) that there is sufficient interest for a newsgroup and
>it should be a subgroup under net.ham-radio.  I guess at this point  the
>new  group  exists on some sites, but I know from the flames that others
>have removed it.

>Jim Kutsch  ihnp4!mtunh!jak or ihnp4!mtunh!ky2d!jak
>ATTIS Holmdel, NJ  (201) 834-2092

My site (akgua) did not remove the new newsgroup.  I am all for it!

The fact that it needs to be a separate newsgroup for ARPA and/or
mailing list gatewaying gives it even more reason for existance.
And from what I have seen and heard to date, it is a growing topic.
However, the non-packeteers who avidly read net.ham-radio would
appreciate not being deluged by packet-related articles.

Cheers,
  Lindsay

Lindsay Cleveland  (akgua!glc) (404) 447-3909   Cornet 583-3909
AT&T Technologies/Bell Laboratories ... Atlanta, Ga

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (06/16/85)

If you want to create a newsgroup to act as a "gateway" to and from
an Arpa newslist, the newsgroup should be created as a "mod" group, not
as a "net" group.  The "mod" option will help get replies to the
right place (as well as postings) and make the gateway simpler
to maintain.

We DON'T want another "net" group which connects to an Arpa group.
We've had problems with such links in the past.
--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

jak@mtunh.UUCP (Jim Kutsch) (06/17/85)

We (those involved) do not want a "mod." group.  We  have  had  net.ham-
radio  for  years  and  have been successful in exchanging news with the
ARpa info-hams list.  All we want to do is create a subdivision.

I do not understand why this is of such interest to all those who  don't
read  net.ham-radio  in  the  first place!!!  We have subdivisions under
net.religion, net.nlang and several others.  If you really want me to do
it  I can post numerous private mail messages in support of the net.ham-
radio.packet group.  Is this really necessary?  The idea here is just  a
subdivision  of an existing group to better serve those who are involved
in the group.

Also, Mr. Spafford, I answered your (somewhat presumptuous) private mail
to  me  when  you did the rmgroup.  However, I have not seen a reply.  I
guess you would rather have  all  net  folks  read  our  correspondence?
Rhetorical  question:  why  does *EVERYTHING* on Usenet have to generate
50Kb of net traffic before  anything  can  be  done?   The  overhead  of
discussing  procedural issues seems to almost exceed the real traffic in
some cases!

Cheers, Jim

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/18/85)

> If you want to create a newsgroup to act as a "gateway" to and from
> an Arpa newslist, the newsgroup should be created as a "mod" group, not
> as a "net" group.  The "mod" option will help get replies to the
> right place (as well as postings) and make the gateway simpler
> to maintain.
>
> We DON'T want another "net" group which connects to an Arpa group.
> We've had problems with such links in the past.
> --
> Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford

Gene, get off it.  Perhaps you would volunteer to moderate this list?
Perhaps you'd like to moderate all the net groups so that problems
won't occur?  The gateway is very simple to maintain.  All we do is
some table entries and it occurs.  What basis in fact do you have for
your statement?

-Ron

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (06/20/85)

In article <11294@brl-tgr.ARPA> ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>Gene, get off it.  Perhaps you would volunteer to moderate this list?
>Perhaps you'd like to moderate all the net groups so that problems
>won't occur?

No, I certainly don't want to moderate any groups.  I do however
continue to advocate using "mod" groups for Arpa-gatewayed groups.
Let me explain the mechanism to make it a bit clearer.

Jill Usenetter wants to submit an article to the news for publication
in some newsgroup gatewayed to/from the Arpanet.  She "posts" it
to the "mod" group using the standard news software (soon to be 2.10.3).
The article doesn't start propagating through the net from her node.
Instead, it gets mailed to the "moderator" of the group -- in this case,
the "moderator" is actually the news distribution software at the
gateway.  The news software then "approves" the article (possibly with
the intervention of the moderator, in the case of a digestified
news list on the Arpanet), and gets sent out both to the Arpa side *and*
the Usenet side from the same site.a  It is entirely possible
that no person acts as "moderator" in this setup -- we simply use
the built-in "mod" mechanism to support the list.  It also provides
the means for an Arpa digest maintainer to get things from the Usenet
side in a consistent manner.

Other advantages:
	-- Since there is no possibility of followups beating
	their base article to the gateway, Arpanetters never have
	to contend with the common Usenet problem of reading
	is also solved for Usenetters, BTW.)

	-- with the addition of a human in the mechanism, the
	newsgroup could be immediately available for Stargate,
	whenever that goes "live".

	-- there is almost no possibility of a "feedback-loop"
	whereby the same article gets posted to one network
	hundreds of times (this happens about every 6 months
	with one of the Arpa-gatewayed groups).

There, Ron, Have I "gotten off it"?  Or did you have something
else in mind?

--

In article <460@mtunh.UUCP> jak@mtunh.UUCP (Jim Kutsch) writes:
>We (those involved) do not want a "mod." group.  We  have  had  net.ham-
>radio  for  years  and  have been successful in exchanging news with the
>ARpa info-hams list.  All we want to do is create a subdivision.

See my previous posting about why I believe a "mod" group is preferrable.
As to your second point, "We've used oil lamps for years and they work
fine -- we don't want any of that newfangled electricity, by crackey!" :-)

>I do not understand why this is of such interest to all those who  don't
>read  net.ham-radio  in  the  first place!!!  We have subdivisions under
>net.religion, net.nlang and several others.  If you really want me to do
>it  I can post numerous private mail messages in support of the net.ham-
>radio.packet group.  Is this really necessary?  The idea here is just  a
>subdivision  of an existing group to better serve those who are involved
>in the group.

Each subgroup is another subdivision of the "net" group.  I still have
some faint interest in seeing Usenet continue, although it is fading
fast these days, and I'd like to think that responsible individuals are
concerned about the effects on the net *as a whole* when they consider
new groups.  That includes the effects of setting precedents. Also, the
interface to other networks is something we need think about.

I'm not claiming that there isn't support for your particular group,
and I'm sure you can cite lots of others who share your interests.  But
someone could make the same claim for net.hamsters.and.duct.tape.  We
need to discuss each group some before it's created to see what the
collective "wisdom" produces.  There are some questions that need
answering such as:  How many people will read this new group on the
Usenet?  50? Less?  More?  Would it be better served by making it a
mailing list?  Would the net as a whole be better served by making the
new group a mailing list?  Has anybody bothered to poll the current
Arpa list members to see if they *want* the Usenet gating?

>Also, Mr. Spafford, I answered your (somewhat presumptuous) private mail
>to  me  when  you did the rmgroup.  However, I have not seen a reply.  I
>guess you would rather have  all  net  folks  read  our  correspondence?

I get, on the average, over 40 pieces of mail per day from people on 4
different networks.  I tend to answer letters that indicate they need a
response, and not much else.  Besides helping to administrate 6
machines, I'm supposed to be finishing my thesis -- replying to every
letter I get implies a luxury of time I don't have.

Your letter to me (as I remember) didn't really need a reply.  You said
you were posting to this group about the hows and whys of the group and
the accidental creation thereof.  That's how it normally works -- why
did I need to write you back about that?

My mail may have been presumptuous in that I presumed that the group
had been created by accident or mistake.  I was not going to attribute
the flaunting of net "rules" to stupidity or malice -- would you rather
I had done that?

As for others reading our correspondence -- perhaps some of these
issues need to be read and considered by others on the net.  Surely you
and I alone are not the ones to decide the fate of this new group, are
we?

--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
CSNet:	Spaf @ GATech		ARPA:	Spaf%GATech.CSNet @ CSNet-Relay.ARPA
uucp:	...!{akgua,allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,seismo,ulysses}!gatech!spaf

hokey@plus5.UUCP (Hokey) (06/20/85)

Ron, when creating a gateway group from Arpa to Usenet via a "net" group,
is bi-directional capability automatically provided?

If not, the "mod" approach is better than the "fa" approach because this
facility can be provided easily.

I would prefer to see all "fa" groups converted to "mod" groups, just to
simplify the news software, and provide for bidirectional transmissions.
As far as I am concerned, there need not be a "real" moderator for these
groups.  Whenever articles arrive, they are automatically posted to Usenet,
and the ArpaNet (if necessary).

--
Hokey           ..ihnp4!plus5!hokey
		  314-725-9492

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/21/85)

> Instead, it gets mailed to the "moderator" of the group -- in this case,
> the "moderator" is actually the news distribution software at the
> gateway.  The news software then "approves" the article (possibly with
> the intervention of the moderator, in the case of a digestified
> news list on the Arpanet), and gets sent out both to the Arpa side *and*
> the Usenet side from the same site.a  It is entirely possible
> that no person acts as "moderator" in this setup -- we simply use
> the built-in "mod" mechanism to support the list.  It also provides
> the means for an Arpa digest maintainer to get things from the Usenet
> side in a consistent manner.
>
> Other advantages:
> 	-- Since there is no possibility of followups beating
> 	their base article to the gateway, Arpanetters never have
> 	to contend with the common Usenet problem of reading
> 	is also solved for Usenetters, BTW.)

[Agreed]

> 	-- with the addition of a human in the mechanism, the
> 	newsgroup could be immediately available for Stargate,
> 	whenever that goes "live".

But this requires a HUMAN!  This WAS my complaint.

> 	-- there is almost no possibility of a "feedback-loop"
> 	whereby the same article gets posted to one network
> 	hundreds of times (this happens about every 6 months
> 	with one of the Arpa-gatewayed groups).

You overstate the every six months problem.  I only ever recall seeing
one case that your AUTOMATED moderation would have helped.  In other
cases, the problem lied elsewhere.

-Ron

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/21/85)

> Ron, when creating a gateway group from Arpa to Usenet via a "net" group,
> is bi-directional capability automatically provided?

YES.

> If not, the "mod" approach is better than the "fa" approach because this
> facility can be provided easily.

FA is not what I'm referring two.  FA works by adding a dummy user to
our mail list that really is postnews.  USENETTERS shouldn't even be
allowed to post to FA groups since they are supposed to be READ ONLY.

> I would prefer to see all "fa" groups converted to "mod" groups, just to
> simplify the news software, and provide for bidirectional transmissions.
> As far as I am concerned, there need not be a "real" moderator for these
> groups.  Whenever articles arrive, they are automatically posted to Usenet,
> and the ArpaNet (if necessary).

Find someone else to gateway then, BRL is not willing to support a lot
of UUCP mail.  The NEWS is obtained by a different route than blasting
out our phone lines.

+Ron

steven@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (06/23/85)

In article <339@gatech.CSNET> spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) writes:
>In article <460@mtunh.UUCP> jak@mtunh.UUCP (Jim Kutsch) writes:
>>I do not understand why this is of such interest to all those who  don't
>>read  net.ham-radio  in  the  first place!!!
>
>I'm not claiming that there isn't support for your particular group,
[...]
>As for others reading our correspondence -- perhaps some of these
>issues need to be read and considered by others on the net.  Surely you
>and I alone are not the ones to decide the fate of this new group, are
>we?

I'm with Gene.  I don't really care particularly about ham radios and
such.  I do care about the net.  Even though we're (I'm) relatively new
to the net, we've already run into concerns about the volume of traffic
propagated around the world.  If criticisms appear about the size of
people's SIGNATUREs, why shouldn't we be concerned about passing narrow
special-interest traffic around the world?

Both a local site and the site to which we feed news have already posted
their subscription exclusions because of the amount of traffic.  In a
related issue I recently corresponded with chuqui@nsc about starting a
Plexus User Group group.  His response corresponded very closely with
Gene's attitude: use a mailing list if the interest group is not large
enough to warrant net traffic.

I firmly believe in your right to communicate on a subject of interest
via the network.  The network is a fantastic privilege.  With that
privilege is responsibility.  Should the rest of us incur the cost of
communicating information of interest to only a few?

I don't have an answer, just a whole bunch of questions.  I would like
to have more of a feel for how many wish to see your proposed subgroup
established before seeing that happen.
--
***
*  Steven List @ Benetics Corporation, Mt. View, CA