[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] **** PHEONIX 386 BIOS QUESTION IN MY ZEOS LAPTOP! ****

brim@cbmvax.commodore.com (Mike Brim - Product Assurance) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.233311.8081@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) writes:
> I'm having a problem with my new Zeos 386-20DX laptop...
>
> It comes with the PHEONIX 386 BIOS PLUS V 1.10 22
> revision... It now has ONE MEG of RAM installed... The problem
> I'm having with the Pheonix 386 BIOS is that it REFUSES
> TO LET ME USE THE 384K ABOVE 640K AS EXTENDED OR EXPANDED MEMORY!!
>
> It says that the 384K IS *RESERVED* ....

Don't have a Phoenix SETUP screen in front of me but isn't there a setting in
the extended SETUP menu for relocating memory?  Change that setting.  Be sure
all shadow RAM is turned off.
Disclaimer: My company knows not what I say (or do).

Mike Brim			     |	Commodore Electronics Limited
PC Analyst - System Evaluation Group | 	West Chester, PA 19380
Product Assurance		     |	InterNet: brim@cbmvax.commodore.com

mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org (Matthew Frohman) (09/27/90)

I have a Micronics 386/20 and I have the same problem.  However, Micronics
provided several utility disks with my machine.  One of the utilities
re-captures the 384K of RAM and I use is as EXPANDED memory for a ramdisk.

If you received utility disks with your machine check them, or call the
company you ordered from.  That is how I found out about it.

By the way, I have Phoenix Bios v1.10 as well. . .

		Matthew

Matthew Frohman        texbell!digi!mfrohman  OR  mfrohman@digi.UUCP
                                OR  mfrohman@digi.lonestar.org

dlow@hpspcoi.HP.COM (Danny Low) (09/27/90)

>It says that the 384K IS *RESERVED* and I can't get the BIOS to
>free it up... I've disable all bios, video ram, shadowing etc. since
>they aren't too important to me (since I thought the 384K was
>allocated to all those speed up features..)

This is the way it is supposed to be. It is possible to use this memory.
There are programs that reclaim the portions that are actually unused.
QRAM from Quarterdeck is one example. Zeos may have actually supplied
you with a utility that reclaims this memory. Many clone makes supply
such a utility with their version of MSDOS.

The danger you will have reclaiming this memory is that unused portions
may not always be unused even though the utility thinks it is unused.
Shadowing ramming often confuses high memory programs. In general you should
be able to resuse this space but if you encounter a program that will not
work properly, one of the tests you should remember to make is
unclaim high memory and see if the program now works.

			   Danny Low
    "Question Authority and the Authorities will question You"
	   Valley of Hearts Delight, Silicon Valley
     HP SPCD   dlow%hpspcoi@hplabs.hp.com   ...!hplabs!hpspcoi!dlow

john@karnak.uucp (John B. Meaders Jr.) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep26.233311.8081@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) writes:
>I'm having a problem with my new Zeos 386-20DX laptop...
>
>It comes with the PHEONIX 386 BIOS PLUS V 1.10 22
>revision... It now has ONE MEG of RAM installed... The problem
>I'm having with the Pheonix 386 BIOS is that it REFUSES
>TO LET ME USE THE 384K ABOVE 640K AS EXTENDED OR EXPANDED MEMORY!!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't think you will be able to use
that 384K.  That is the shadow area.  I have 8Mb on my machine so it isn't
a problem (I have a generic 386 w/AMI Bios).  I understand your dismay,
but I don't think there is a way around it, except to get more memory.  It
should accept everything above 1Mb.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.
510 Manchester Ct., Hopewell, VA  23806

fredch@starlite.hf.intel.com (09/28/90)

Various BIOS seem to handle the 384K between 640K and 1M in different ways.
My 386DX system at work has Phoenix BIOS, uses the 386K for shadow, period.
However, my 386SX at home has AMI BIOS.  It permits me to select portions
of the 384K for shadow (in chunks of 128K) and lets me map the leftovers
into extended memory.  Hence, the 2MB is split thus:

	 640K base
	 256K system and video BIOS shadow
	1152K extended (of which 128K is mapped from the 384K)

Btw, the BIOS call that returns the amount of extended memory also says 1152K,
so things look pretty shipshape.
----------
Fred Christiansen, Intel, JF1-67   503-696-4214 |  fredch@starlite.hf.intel.com
5200 NE Elam Young Prkwy, Hillsboro, OR  97124  | uunet!intelhf!starlite!fredch
Children spell love this way:  t-i-m-e.  "Quality time" must be in quantity.

felton@eng3.UUCP (Ed Felton) (10/01/90)

Can you believe john@karnak.uucp (John B. Meaders Jr.) said:
|In article <1990Sep26.233311.8081@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu| gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) writes:
||I'm having a problem with my new Zeos 386-20DX laptop...
||It comes with the PHEONIX 386 BIOS PLUS V 1.10 22
||revision... It now has ONE MEG of RAM installed... The problem
||I'm having with the Pheonix 386 BIOS is that it REFUSES
||TO LET ME USE THE 384K ABOVE 640K AS EXTENDED OR EXPANDED MEMORY!!
|
|Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  I don't think you will be able to use
|that 384K.  That is the shadow area.  I have 8Mb on my machine so it isn't
|a problem (I have a generic 386 w/AMI Bios).  I understand your dismay,
|but I don't think there is a way around it, except to get more memory.  It
|should accept everything above 1Mb.
-- CORRECTION --
You can regain the use of shadow ram in most cases (at least with a Pheonix
BIOS) with properly written utility software, like 386MAX that I mentioned
friday in response to the original message!.
-- END CORRECTION --
|--
|John B. Meaders, Jr.
|510 Manchester Ct., Hopewell, VA  23806
|Voice:  804-451-2983
|Net:  john@karnak or {sequoia,sulaco,letni}!karnak!john

--
Ed Felton                  | When you wish to produce a result by means of an
uunet!sci34hub!eng3!felton | instrument, do not allow yourself to complicate it
                           |                          -- Leonardo da Vinci
        Disclaimer: Even if I had opinions, who would want them???

rlr@bbt.UUCP (rader) (10/03/90)

 gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) writes:
>I'm having a problem with my new Zeos 386-20DX laptop...
>
>It comes with the PHEONIX 386 BIOS PLUS V 1.10 22
>revision... It now has ONE MEG of RAM installed... The problem
>I'm having with the Pheonix 386 BIOS is that it REFUSES
>TO LET ME USE THE 384K ABOVE 640K AS EXTENDED OR EXPANDED MEMORY!!
>
>It says that the 384K IS *RESERVED* and I can't get the BIOS to
>free it up...
>
>Thanks
>George

  Isn't this a common problem, regardless of your BIOS?  That 384K
between 640K and 1M is unusable as EMS on lots of AT clones that
I've seen (not that I've seen very many, though).  Peripheral
devices use those memory addresses for their own purposes (since
no one would need to break the magic DOS 640K barrier! ;).

  Maybe you have a card in your laptop that's assuming control
over these addresses.  Since your BIOS is marking it as reserved,
it might be a proprietary Zeos peripheral.  Anyone else have any
guesses?
--
ron rader, jr               rlr%bbt@rti.rti.org = Opinions are my own and do not
| |  i gotta six-    rlr%bbt$rti.rti.org@CUNYVM = necessarily reflect those of
 | | pack, & nothin' to do ...!mcnc!rti!bbt!rlr = BroadBand Tech. (SO THERE!)
*** Punk ain't no religious cult, punk means thinking for yourself - DKs ***

jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) (10/03/90)

80386 BIOS have a feature called "shadow ram".

On some BIOSes, you can disable the "shadow ram" and free up the memory
space between 640k and 1Mb.  Some BIOSes will still reserve this space
even if you disabled the "shadow ram".  But, by disabling the "shadow ram",
you will cause the computer to operate slower due the the "far" reference
for ever BIOS interrupt call.

      __________                                          ___
     /          \                                    /   /    /-/ / /\/
    _/  /   /   /                                 __/.  /__  / / / / /
   /     /     / "Happy Computing ..."
  /           /                         ARPAnet: Johnny.J.Chin@andrew.cmu.edu
 /  -------  /  4730 Centre Ave. #412   BITnet:  jc58@andrew
 \__________/   Pittsburgh, PA  15213   UUCP:   ...!uunet!andrew.cmu.edu!jc58
  Computer Dr.

Disclaimer:   The views expressed herein are STRICTLY my own, and not CMU's.

atk@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Alan T. Krantz) (10/04/90)

In article <Ub2GZmy00WB9AUz69i@andrew.cmu.edu> jc58+@andrew.cmu.edu (Johnny J. Chin) writes:
>80386 BIOS have a feature called "shadow ram".
>
>On some BIOSes, you can disable the "shadow ram" and free up the memory
>space between 640k and 1Mb.  Some BIOSes will still reserve this space
>even if you disabled the "shadow ram".  But, by disabling the "shadow ram",
>you will cause the computer to operate slower due the the "far" reference
>for ever BIOS interrupt call.

I don't believe this is correct. The addresses (as far as the program is
concerened) is the same if the bios is executed from RAM or ROM. The
differences is that the ROM has a much slower access time hence wait
states are probably inserted when code is executed from ROM. Actually,
I'm not too sure how this is done - I've wired up a 68xxx before and it
wasn't too difficult to dynamicly set the number of wait states - but
I'm not sure how it's done on the intel chips  -  but in any event it
has nothing to do with "far" references....

|  Mail:    1830 22nd street      Email: atk@boulder.colorado.edu|
|           Apt 16                Vmail: Home:   (303) 939-8256  |
|           Boulder, Co 80302            Office: (303) 492-8115  |