[comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc] MSDOS "reboot" program

stever@Octopus.COM (Steve Resnick ) (10/04/90)

In article <68@beep.UUCP> kris@beep.UUCP (Port'naybl) writes:
>[Auctioneers talk at 9600 baud.]
>
>     We've been having some problems here at "beep" recently, mostly users
>that aren't "root" or "news" not having their articles leaving this site.
>Please bear with me if this is a repeat...
>
>    A few weeks ago, someone posted a 5 byte program that could be entered
>into memory with the debugger, and then be saved as a runnable program.
>Could someone please send me a copy?

Use this:

DEBUG <enter>
a<enter>
jmp FFFF:0 <enter>
<enter>
r cx<enter>
5 <enter>
nboot.com<enter>
w<enter>
q<enter>

That will do a cold re boot. To do a warm boot, you need to change the word
at 0:472H to 1234H before doing the jmp to ffff:0

Cheers!
Steve

steve.resnick@f105.n143.z1.FIDONET.ORG - or - apple!camphq!105!steve.resnick
Flames, grammar errors, spelling errrors >/dev/nul

panek@hp-and.HP.COM (Jon Panek) (10/04/90)

[I tried to EMail this, but my post-office couldn't figure out how to
 get from here to there...  So, we post it instead...]

Kris,

You recently posted a listing in notes:

|     A few weeks ago, someone posted a 5 byte program that could be entered
| into memory with the debugger, and then be saved as a runnable program.
| Could someone please send me a copy?

The program is quite simple.  The assembler instruction is

		JMP  FFFF:0000

Which simply branches to the RESET vector in ROM.  The hex bytes which
make up this instruction are

	EA 00 00 FF FF

If you want the code to be short (5 bytes), make it a .COM files, not
an .EXE file.  Good luck.

Jon Panek
Hewlett-Packard Andover Division (Medical Products)
panek@hp-and.an.hp.com